Has Anyone Sailed From Nj, Ny Or Boston?

JULIE7

ACTUALLY FROM ANYWHERE IN THE NORTH EAST COAST.

I heard that the waters are rough and that you can really be sea sick on these cruises departing from this area. Is this true? I am from NY, would be very convenient to cruise from these areas but I dont want to be sea sick. Please share your experience.:confused: :cool:

We sailed from Boston to Bermuda in June. I got a little bit seasick on the first night, but had some dramamine and was fine on the sea day (if a little sleepy). There were as many people with the patches and wristbands on that trip as I've seen in the Caribbean. I think the problem I had was that the Majesty is a smaller ship than the ships we've been on in the Caribbean.

I've sailed from Baltimore, Ny and Boston. We didn't have any trouble, I think it depends on the time of year and the weather. Time of year is a consideration, it can be chili for the first day or so if you are traveling in the spring or mid to late fall.

What dates have you sailed (months)?

I really heard this rough seas issue from 3 different people, so I figured not to even bother with cruises from there. But I saw some good Itineraries and I feel tempted.

My room attendant was telling me that in the month of August he experienced very rough seas and was really bad. They couldnt sleep, you could not walk around. Food was falling from the windjammer, and there was a lotttt of people sick. I sure dont want to experience that at ALL. This was Jewel of the Seas>:rolleyes:

We have sailed out of New York once and Bayonne another time. The seas can be rough but the larger boats due well to counter the effects. The worst weather we have had was going from Miami to San Juan on the Navigator.

WHAT MONTH DID YOU CRUISE??????

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE!

You know, it all depends. The summer months usually have calmer seas and it is warmer. We have left port canaveral in florida and the first night or two heading toward the caribbean is rough because you are going across the atlantic-- even in the summer you can feel the motion; however, it usually is not bad. We just did a cruise out of new jersey over thanksgiving and i could feel the motion the first night, but not after that. the captain stated the seas were unusually calm for november.

I sailed on the Jewel out of Boston in November. I was sick the first sea day. I had prepared by taking Bonine and ginger caps for two days before we even got on the ship, but that was not enough. Luckily, someone who had the scop patches gave me a couple and I put a half a one on and went to bed. By dinnertime, I felt enough better to go to the first formal night dinner, though I watched what I ate. I was fine the next day and for the rest of the cruise. It didn't deter me, though. We are booked on the same cruise next year. This time I'll bring my own patches and be prepared. I love cruising so much and it is so convenient to go out of Boston, that I'll put up with the chance of being sick again. It can't possibly last the whole cruise!

We have sailed out of NYC in the spring and summer and Philadelphia and in the fall. Boston. Going to/from Bermuda is often rough, but otherwise, the seas depend on the weather. Generally it is better in mid-summer than in other seasons, but you can never tell.

We have sailed out of Boston, New York and New Jersey and encountered rough seas and calm seas. The weather conditions which exist at the time you cruise are the determining factor and those conditions can't be predicted far in advance. We were on the westbound transatlantic on the Jewel of the Seas last year and the seas were smooth from Halifax, NS and Portland, Maine heading for Boston. F

However, folks who boarded the ship after us encountered high seas enroute to Bermuda. Only a week later we sailed out of Boston to Eastern Canada on Enchantment of the Seas and had smooth seas except off of Martha's Vineyard. A month later the Jewel again encountered high seas between Boston and Bermuda, but the rest of the cruise to the Caribbean was very smooth and the return trip to Boston was also smooth.

If you will be sailing in the North Atlantic during hurricane season, you might encounter high seas, but then again you might not. Weather is pretty much unpredictable, so you really have to decide whether or not you are willing to take the chance. if you are not particularly prone to motion sickness, you will probably be fine and if you are concerned, look into some of the various methods which are touted as helping to minimize the problem. Good luck and happy cruising.

Last summer we sailed the Legend out of NYC - no problem, the seas were noticable but nothing our group couldn't handle.

This past October we sailed the Jewel to the Caribbean - hit very, very rough seas out of Boston. Our group did fine, my daughter got sick on the first formal night going to aft to the captain's party but was fine by the next morning once we hit calm seas.

I LOVED the rough seas - you basically had the ship to yourself as most were sick and in their rooms. It's all a matter of what you can and can't stand.

We did a transatlantic on the maiden voyage of the Serenade and never enountered the rough seas we did from Boston.

Anyone who lives on the East Coast knows that the Atlantic is completely unpredictable. Calm, rough, sunny, foggy, you name it. You can find any of those conditions at any time.

That being said, we sail from NYC to Bermuda on Horizon in April. It was like glass all they way to Bermuda. And we went through a wind storm on the way back with about 4 hours of fairly decent ship rocking. It was FUN!

You can hit rough seas anywhere at anytime, doesn't matter where you sail from, its all left up to Mother Nature. Actually, I have read that the Atlantic is considered rougher than most, but that also depends on if its hurricane season or not. We were booted out of Bermuda early once because of a coming hurricane and just as we left the boat was rocking away. It calmed later and the next day sailing back to Boston was like sailing on a lake, smooth as glass as one poster said above.

Once while sailing from San Juan to Southern Caribbean it was really rocky and a staff member told us that leg of the trip would be because of where we had to sail through, but the trip back wouldn't be as bad.

Personally, I wouldn't 'not' sail from the east coast because I've heard the waters were rougher, because as I said, you can hit that anytime and anywhere no matter where you sail from.

I too would love to sail out of NY. Its so much more convenient. We want to go to Bermuda but my husband told me I would never be able to handle crossing the Atlantic so I guess the only way I'm going to get to Bermuda is to fly there becuase I don't want to take the chance of being sick.

I too would love to sail out of NY. Its so much more convenient. We want to go to Bermuda but my husband told me I would never be able to handle crossing the Atlantic so I guess the only way I'm going to get to Bermuda is to fly there becuase I don't want to take the chance of being sick.

Going to Bermuda is hardly crossing the Atlantic. You are only at sea a day and a half each way. If you don't want to take the chance of being sick I'd recommend that you forget about cruising anywhere.

I've done two cruises out Bayonne, one in May and one in October- both had some rough seas going up and down the coast.... didn't bother us, we just drank more so we couldn't feel it!

Definetly not for the people who think about it to much- you are on a boat you know- if you don't want to feel like you are on one, stay on land!!

It makes for some staggering passengers! :D

Have fun! Just don't think about it!

Oceanboy-

No, I wont' forget about cruising. I've done 4 cruises already and have booked my 5th and I have no problem with seasickness. We've always left from Florida and once from Puerto Rico. Its just that I'm afraid to take the chance in leaving from New York wit my sensitive stomach. But me, forget about cruising, NEVER!!!

I've sailed twice from NY now... once in March, and once in July...

When we left on NCL Dawn in March, believe it or not, our WORST weather was around Miami, Bahamas, and Port Canaveral.... the seas were CALM around NY...

But, that was the exact opposite of what it was supposed to be...

When we sailed in July on VoS... smooth sailing... all the time.

Bottom line, if you sail in "off peak" times, you run the risk of rough seas... if you're prone to motion sickness.... take some Bonine at the first sign of sickness, and go outside...

East Coast sailings... can be rough...

I've sailed out of Bayonne in June and November. Had smooth sailings both times. I sailed out of New York in July a few years ago and hit the worst storm ever going to Bermuda. I also left from Puerto Rico in Nov. and hit some rough waters. I guess it's all about luck.

Archived