first cruise with kids (5 and 2 years) - very nervous!

Looking for some advice for cruising with kids. We are booking a cruise in May on Anthem out of NJ for 9 days, as it is the best option to save on airfare for us and timing-wise. TBH I wish it was a 7 day cruise, as I already am having anxiety about how it will be with 2 kids on such a large and busy ship.

If anyone has been on Anthem with young kids and has any pointers, that would be great! Also, I'm between booking a balcony room and junior suite and trying to decide if the extra space is worth the $$. I know we don't spend a lot of time in the rooms, but I imagine it could be helpful in saving our sanity.

Thanks for your help in advance, and please be kind! :) I'd been reading reviews and I'm not looking to be targeted by the people who attack the parents with young kids (I keep seeing the same people over and over quoting sanitation laws - I know the pool rules already - thanks!) Luckily, it seems like the overwhelming majority here are very nice!

Have not cruised on Anthem, but we've cruised twice with our then 5/3 y.o. and their first cruise was 4/2 y.o. I wouldn't be nervous, it's a lot of fun. We've done both balcony and JS. We did junior suite first and it did give us enough room to have the pack n'play out all the time for the 2 year old for naps and sleeping space for the umbrella stroller and our youngest car seat she used on the plane. The balcony on our second cruise was fine, but we didn't have all that other stuff on the second cruise. (we are doing a balcony again in April because we were OK space wise with the four of us in a regular balcony).

Try the nursery and adventure ocean. On our first cruise we didn't try it until Day 7 and wish we had pushed them to try it earlier. Overall just try not to do too much and leave time for naps etc. It can be so easy to try and see everything and push it.

Don't worry be happy. My son went on his first cruise at 6 and loved it. He went on the Quantum (sister to Anthem) when he was 10. He loved the Seaplex and crowds didnt faze him. Of Course, we live in NY. The good thing about May is that most kids in the NorthEast are still in school so it wont be as crazy as sailing over the summer.

If it's only you and the two kids, a balcony room will probably work - one of the kids can sleep on the couch. If it's you, another adult, and the two kids, you are probably going to be pretty claustrophobic.

People with kids have reported that the kid-oriented staff and activities on the ship are very good, so your 5 year old will probably be covered. The 2 year old can go to the nursery if your ship is so-equipped, but there will be a charge for that.

I have not sailed with kids that young, so I cannot give advise there.

A JS would give more space...what is the price difference between balcony and JS for your cruise? People can give a better idea of value if you tell us the price difference.

One other price to check: how much for two connecting cabins? Sometimes that is a good deal; othertimes not. It is another way to get extra space and optional privacy of connecting door.

Our first cruise with kids was when they were 3 & 7, so not much different than yours. My youngest was barely potty trained and we asked for a phone for him at the kid's club in case of an accident (he didn't have one, thankfully, and I think they are very aware of the need for constant reminders at that age).

We did have a balcony room and would sit on the balcony and read while the youngest would nap in the cabin during the day. The balcony was a MUST. Sometimes at night, we would put the kids to bed and sneak to the balcony for a moment together. I have never had a room bigger than normal balcony, so I can't comment on the extra space. We are rarely in the room with so much going on, I would really have to weigh the cost involved.

The kids water areas are fantastic, so much to see and do! The kids club is so much fun. Don't be nervous!!!

Another tip, for the older one, the kids club people will pick them up in the main dining area at 6:45 if you let them know ahead of time. So, we do early dinner at 5:30 and then meet the kids club people at 6:45 and enjoy dessert/after dinner drinks at the table and off to some time on the ship!

Will you be partying at all hours... no. I would not count on making many of the shows/parties after 10pm. But, your kids will love the characters, definitely do the parade if they have one.

It will be fine :) Have fun!!!!!

We cruised with our kids when they were that age. It was definitely an adjustment and different from the cruises we took before kids and after they got older.

I remember spending lots of time in the pool and lots of time just wandering the ship.

I didn't look forward to sea days as much when the kids were little. Port days were easier when the kids were small. When we sailed with our kids that age, ships were not as large and busy as they are now, I would think the large and busy ships are helpful in keeping the kids entertained.

Our kids never liked the kids programs and spent zero time in them, we countered by bringing the Grand Parents with us.

Good luck!

If a JS doesn't stretch your budget too much, I'd book that. Having a tub for bathing young kids is a bonus! Otherwise, in a normal balcony, you will have only a shower. A JS gives you much more "floor space", so if you need a P&P, it won't be in the way. The walk-in closet is handy for keeping all your "stuff" stowed away! Plus, the balcony is wider than a standard cabin...no deeper, but wider.

I wouldn't book anything less than a balcony with small kids...it's an extra "space" when they're down early for the night, or napping.

Your 5year old will have a total blast in the club...they keep them busy and interested! The 2 year old will have use of the nursery which you might not use all the time, but it's handy if you want to spend a bit of "couples" time, or maybe time with only the older child for a bit!

Don't be nervous....it's a VACATION....there's no "right or wrong" way to have a vacation!

Like others have said, I would price out 2 connecting rooms especially if traveling with another adult. You can have a conversation in the evening without being worried about waking up the kids.

The advantage to a JR suite besides the space is that you can eat in CK for dinner. It may be quicker than the MDR.

My only suggestion is to eat breakfast and/or lunch in the MDR when possible with little kids. I think WJ is a nightmare to manage when kids are that young and even though my youngest is now 6, I still try to avoid it as much as possible.

One tip is if you have early riser kids, it is nice to get out with them, get some coffee, and let them run around an almost empty ship. We often saw small children (next to sleepy looking parents!) playing on the comfy couches and chairs along the pool deck in the early morning. Kids can bring their little toys and have space before the decks get crowded--the areas are covered and there are beautiful ocean views. You can bring out some fruit/etc from Windjammer and chill a bit. Same with the area down by Cafe Promenade and Patisserie. Patisserie has windows in the back with nice chairs in case its too windy up on the decks.

Yes, they will provide a Pack n Play, but I would tell your travel agent or call RC (if you don’t have a TA) and put in a request for one. That way, it should be there in your room when you arrive...if not just ask your room steward when you see them or call down to Guest Services.

I’m not sure if you mentioned if you are traveling with another adult...as that may make the balcony room seem more crowded. In that case, you may want to go with a Jr Suite to give you more room to walk around the pack and play. Plus, there’s a tub in the Jr Suite. Also, there are Family Jr Suites (have 1.5 bathrooms), Jr Suites (just a regular Jr Suite), and Spa Jr Suites (have tub and shower)...not sure which one you were looking to upgrade to.

On Day 1 after settling in, you can register kids in Adventure Ocean (5 yr old) and Nursery (2 year old) and get and idea of their daily schedules. You don’t have to use both at the same time either, but it is a way to have some alone time.

I would say to take it easy and don’t feel like you have to do too much. If you are ever overwhelmed, just order room service and stay in your room one evening or afternoon.

Also, if your kids have favorite DVDs, bring your laptop to help wind them down after a long day. If you have VOOM, you can stream Netflix, etc to your iPad or computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk