Original Canopy Tour, Ocho Rios Question

Yvonne

6 of us will be on the 1/15 sailing of the Mariner and we have booked the Original Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios. I'm wondering how big the group will be. A dozen people? More? What's the maximum number of people they will take in a group? I don't like the idea of waiting around a long time for too many people to do the lines, so I'm hoping they just take small groups.

We did that tour in March on Panama Canal crossing. Our group was probably 14 or so. You did have to wait on the first platform, but it went pretty fast after that. There is quite a long walk to get to the platforms and then another to get back to the bus after the ziplines. I think there were 9 different ziplines. One was completely vertical and very quick, another was also very steep and fast. There is someone to catch you at the end of the platform, but on the vertical one, it is so fast that they really didn't do a very good job of catching and I came down hard.

We just returned from the canopy tour in Ocho Rios. There were around 28 in our group. They had to use and extra van because the mini bus we were on was overloaded and they were only to carry 21, but ended up with 22. We did some standing around as they were training new people, but for the most part it moved fairly fast. I know RCCL says only over 18, but if the web site lets you book, there were some kids around 11 or 12 that joined our RCCL group from Carnival. They did not check id's for the tour. They do a really good job taking pictures, and they can be bought for a resonable price. You get all of the pictures of 2 people for $25. We had 3, so we added another $10. We wanted the video also, so that was another $5.00. We ended up with all our pictures, the video and other still shots of the flowers and scenery for $40.00. Well worth it.

28 people?! Ach! That's too many! I hope our group is smaller!

Thanks for the info on the pictures, really appreciate knowing. I'm sure we'll want our pictures (even though we'll take some of our own too) and I didn't realize you could purchase a video too, great!!

Not looking forward to the vertical line, I hope it doesn't hurt!!

The vertical line was the best. But it lasted only a second or two. I don't think you even really know what's going to happen before it happens. The video is not of people. It is as if someone strapped a camera on them and went did the zip line all the way through. It isn't real long, or real clear, but it does give everyone the idea of what happened. It is just a small video that is added onto the cd of pictures. I thought I better elaborate, since I thought we would be able to buy a video of us. Still, very worth it.

Yes, 28 people was too many. When we were done, we sat in a small area overlooking a fast moving river for what seemed like forever. When everyone was finished, we walked a ways to a clearing and they served, bottled water, punch, or rum punch while they collected all your gear. Then we walked a short distance farther to the waiting buses before stopping at Chukka Cove Farm to buy the pictures and t-shirt.

Once at the farm, go directly to where the pictures are sold. This is a VERY SHORT STOP. Hurry.

They will then take you back to the pier. Anyone wanting to continue to Dunns Falls, will be given the option to be dropped off and picked up there for an additional $10. This fee does not include admission to the falls. We did not do this as we had before, and this time wanted to shop. In my personal opinion, you would be very rushed trying to climb the falls and get back to the ship in time. We only had about 2 hours left after being dropped off at the pier. By the time the bus drove back to the falls, you paid and climbed (which they say to allow around 2 hours for) and drove back to the ship, it would be way to stressful being so close to sailaway.

goingtocruise: thanks so much for elaborating. I'm sure I'll want to buy our pictures and the video, so it's nice to know I need to make that a priority once we get back to their shop.

You said they give you the option of being dropped off at Dunn's Falls and then picked up there to go back to the ship, I'm wondering if that might be doable for us as we are doing the 9:30 canopy tour, instead of the 11:30 one. I don't think any of us would want to climb the falls, just look and take pictures. Is that possible? Maybe then take a taxi back to the ship?

We took the 9:30 canopy tour. There were people going back to the falls, but we just did a little shopping near the pier. We were really pushing it just to walk to the Marketplace and back to the ship. However, I like to be on the ship a half hour before it leaves. If you just wanted to look around, I think you would still have to wait for the ones that climb the falls that are on your small bus. Also, I'm sure there is a fee to get into the falls whether you climb or not. I'm thinking between $10 and $15 a person. What time does your ship leave. Ours left at 4:00. If it leaves at 5:00 I think you could make it. Also, our tour was a little longer given how many people and also it seemed we were backed up a bit on each zip-line. Other posters talk about how there was never a wait, but there was on our tour. I think you would be disappointed if you went to the falls and didn't climb. I went 3 years ago and only my oldest was going to climb. When we got there, my then 10 year old just had to climb also. No swimsuit, no water shoes, no towel. Anyway, I'm so glad they both climbed and regret that I didn't. I do have great video of them climbing.

Another hint: You will stop at Chukka Farm for a potty break before climbing. Go to the bathroom before you leave the ship, and just head to the small gift shop. Scope out exactly what you want to buy when you come back as you will not have time to do anything but grab and pay. When buying your pictures, have the other people in your party with you so he can see what they are wearing. He highlights the pictures so fast, you would think he couldn't have gotten it right, but it was. Then have another person run to the gift shop and pay for your t-shirts(I survived the canopy tour), while you pay for the pictures.

Just think, if you can't work in the Falls, you can just take another cruise. Have been to Jamaica twice and would gladly go back again. It's our favorite. So much to do. The plantation tour is also fun.

Archived