Disembarkation, Galveston 3:30 flight

Laknormn

We will be disembarking in Galveston from the Carnival Breeze and catching a 3:30pm flight. We will not be doing the “carry your own luggage off” and we would like to book our own transportation to save some money. For what time should we book our shuttle? The shuttle company only gives us a 30 minute window before they charge us extra. And we don’t want to spend anymore time on the ship or outside waiting then we have to. Any advice is appreciated .

Edited by Laknormn
Flight from IAH.

I think the latest we've ever gotten off in Galveston would be 10:30. That's just off the ship. Then you have to find your luggage and stand in line to go through customs. Since you have a late flight, you would probably be ok with having them pick you up between 11:30 and 12:00.

We will be disembarking in Galveston from the Carnival Breeze and catching a 3:30pm flight. We will not be doing the “carry your own luggage off” and we would like to book our own transportation to save some money. For what time should we book our shuttle? The shuttle company only gives us a 30 minute window before they charge us extra. And we don’t want to spend anymore time on the ship or outside waiting then we have to. Any advice is appreciated .

When we sailed from Galveston, we had a 6:00 PM flight. (Ugh) We stayed on the ship as long as possible, which was 10:30 when the cd begged those of us remaining to leave. We had #1 luggage tags. When we finally left, it was not as easy to find our luggage as I thought because there were lots of #1 pieces of luggage. I guess we all had the same idea.

Then we had to go through customs. We were asked if we had passports, which we showed to a port employee. We were directed to a line with fewer than 20 people. The birth certificate line had about 300 people. :eek:

I suggest booking the shuttle for 10:00 to 10:30 if you have passports and noon if you don't.

You have to really worry about the FOG !!!!!!!!!!

You'd make either airport here in the Houston area with no problems. Here's how.

• It's a Sunday morning, the traffic for the business day doesn't slow you down.
  • The ship will have you ready to self-debark in time to be in your transportation choice by 9:00am.
  • Interstate 45 doesn't slow down on the northbound side until closer to noon on weekends.

You'd be at Hobby (HOU) by 10:30am or Bush (IAH) by 11:45am.

Love the "FOG" comment. We have an five year average of eleven ships delayed inbound or outbound. With five ships sailing from Galveston the numbers so far this year are well behind that rate. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare.

As many have said, you should be fine making you flight. With the elimination of the blue forms requirement at customs, things have gotten much faster in Galveston; but there still is some pretty good variability in how long it will take to get your bags and get to the curb. We always check bags and we’ve done it in as little as 15 mins but have also had it take as long as an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As many have said, you should be fine making you flight. With the elimination of the blue forms requirement at customs, things have gotten much faster in Galveston; but there still is some pretty good variability in how long it will take to get your bags and get to the curb. We always check bags and we’ve done it in as little as 15 mins but have also had it take as long as an hour.

So even though you don’t want to wait longer than you have to, I’d book a 10:30 shuttle.

OK people might think I am crazy....we took an earlier flight out for our last cruise (January 2018) and actually booked the shuttle through the cruise line after back to the airport. We were delayed by fog...but they got us there! We used a private shuttle to Galveston the night before the cruise left which was actually more expensive. Using the cruise line shuttle after you don't have to worry about the shuttle time and delays.

We took an Uber from the port to Houston and it was $52.00. It's much more convenient to me.

Were you able to get the Uber right outside the terminal or did you have to leave the port area? I have never sailed out of Galveston, but read somewhere it was easier to go across the street.

We were RCL in January and had really bad fog that delayed getting disembarked by almost two hours. We had a high number to get off the boat. Houston had gotten one inch of snow and the roads were a bit clogged. We had a 2:00 flight out of IAH and barely made it. I think ours was the worst case scenario. I think you will be fine. If you are flying out of Hobby, you will be even better.

Jenny