Needed: Family 4 one cabin advice

We were on a cruise in November with our twin 17 year olds. We were supposed to get a sleeper couch and pull down bunk, but our room did not have a bunk. Our daughter slept on the pull out bed which was fairly comfortable. Our son tried to sleep on the sofa but it was very uncomfortable. Our steward found a pad for the couch which helped, but I would avoid having anyone other than a small child sleep on the couch.

We have 10 yr old twins boy girl. This will be the last cruise we can fit all 4 of us in one balcony room. They will share the pull out bed with pillows between them. Our next cruise will be in 2020 and we’re planning connecting rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

All great advice here but we are stuck having just one room. I did get a self-inflated sleeping pad. I tried it out and it's pretty comfortable.

We will be sailing in just a few days. I'll write again when we come back and let everybody know how it went.

OP...next time if you are looking to cruise on Oasis Class, there are rooms called “Spacious Oceanview with Large Balcony” (all are on Deck 11 forward-ish Port side, with two on Deck 7 aft). Category A1. Holds 6 and would be perfect for your family. Has regular bed plus sofa bed PLUS a closet-like area with a set of bunk beds.

There also are some of these in the interior and oceanview(no balcony) categories as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did 4 in a room and were fine. Having said that, our kids are younger than yours and we had a pullman and a pull out sofa. On our Symphony cruise, we have a pull out sofa to be shared by both of them. I'm sure they will be fine. Many suggest to get 2 rooms which would be great, but not always in the budget (at least whenever I looked at this option, it was still a couple hundred more). Our biggest issue was the bathroom, but we just staggered our shower times and it really wasn't a big deal. Not sure if you mentioned your ship, but on Allure, there was tons of storage space.

Enjoy your cruise. Let us know how you make out.

I agree that it’s worth checking the price of two cabins vs all 4 of you in one, you will be surprised.

I agree - there are four of us, and we always get connecting staterooms - we need our space, the extra bathroom is great, and we are literally only in our cabin to sleep and shower.

Ok, I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Wouldn't a stateroom that says it accommodates 4 people, accommodate 4 people? We have ONE GTY Neighbourhood Stateroom booked for July on Oasis for our family of 4; me, hubby, daughter (14) and son (12). We went with GTY because the price difference was at least $2000 cheaper. I haven't seen GTY rooms since! So I don't even know if there's a way to book two like that. Unless we see some great deals in the coming weeks/months, I doubt we'd be able to switch to two rooms as the price difference will be so high...

Wouldn't the pullout be big enough for two to sleep? Or also have a pullman?

There are a lot of generalizations here without even knowing what ship you are sailing. The smaller and older ships sofa sleepers are small. However, the newer ships, Harmony for sure, the sofa bed is a trundle so each person would have their own bed that is pretty much a twin bed, one at couch height and one lower. That being said, I sailed on Indy with my three teen daughters in an inside room with two bunks and they didn't like the bunks. They said they were uncomfortable and the ladders were scary.

Next up for us, connecting Central Park balcony cabins on Harmony!

I agree that it’s worth checking the price of two cabins vs all 4 of you in one, you will be surprised.

I was surprised by this as well. I thought it would be cost prohibitive to do 2 cabins for the 4 of us but once we priced it out, it wasn't really that much more expensive to get 2 connecting rooms. And 2 closets! And 2 bathrooms! We only have 8 & 9 year olds, but really have liked the extra space.

Sometimes it's more comfortable to take the mattress off the pullout sofa and put it directly on the floor. I'm not sure if that's an option on a cruise ship, but we do it a lot in hotel rooms. I think the person who suggested you and your spouse share the pullout mattress and split the bed back into twin beds for the boys might have the best option -especially since you don't have time to make other arrangements.