Labor Day in Marseille

feedmytummy

Hi, all... We just realized it'll be Labor Day in France when we stop in Marseille this year. We had just planned to take a shuttle or taxi into town to walk around, shop a little, and try the local cuisine. Will anything even be open? And will there be taxis running? We are also considering taking an excursion that would drop us off in either Aix or Cassis but are afraid we may run into the same issues. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I would just take the ships shuttle to Marseille and take the local bus #60 to the Notre Dame de la garde cathedral after seeing the fish mongers selling their products. You could also pay more for the petite “tourist” train if you’re not into DIY. After returning from the cathedral you can shop or visit one of the many museums in the area until it is time to catch the shuttle back to the ship. This can all be done for less than $25 per person.

Thanks for the tips. I did find a contact for Marseille Tourism office and they confirmed taxis would be running and shops/restaurants would be open. I should put here also in case someone is ever looking for a free guide in Marseille to google Marseille Greeters. I don’t think we’ll end up using them but they offer free walking tours tailored to your interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums