Shore Excursions for Less Traveled Islands

bronzey214

Hello everyone,

After a last minute cancellation of our scheduled cruise aboard the NCL Gem last November, we were looking to use our credits before they expire.

We ended up picking a 10-day cruise out of San Juan on the NCL Dawn in December.

We ended up picking the Shore Excursion credit for our "Free at Sea" choice (since there are 9 islands on this cruise).

But - I've noticed that these islands aren't ones NCL typically sails to - some of them don't even show up as options when you browse all shore excursions (not just ones for my cruise).

So - people who have sailed with NCL to the following islands - do you feel there were at least a decent number of Shore Excursions available to choose from? Or would I be better off picking a different "Free at Sea" choice? (We already get $50/port for the Distinctive Voyages perk, so we'll end up with $100/stateroom/port).

St. George's, Grenada

Bridgetown, Barbados
Castries, St. Lucia
Fort-de-France, Martinique
Roseau, Dominica
Basseterre, St. Kitts
(Tortola - already doing the Baths)

Thanks everyone!

PS - was going to post in our roll call, but only 6 people are signed up so far.

Edited by bronzey214
it looked awful

Typically, NCL's shore excursions don't start showing up until a few months before the cruise..you are perhaps a little far out.

In any case, there will be plenty of options for those islands, because even though they may not be regular NCL stops (although they actually have been in the past), other cruise lines go there and all the islands have tourism industries, which creates the shore excursion business on those islands.

You can easily find out what might be available privately with a google search for the name of the island and "tours" or "excursions. You can also look on the ports of call board here on CC.

I think you'll find there will be plenty of options.

Hello everyone,

After a last minute cancellation of our scheduled cruise aboard the NCL Gem last November, we were looking to use our credits before they expire.

We ended up picking a 10-day cruise out of San Juan on the NCL Dawn in December.

We ended up picking the Shore Excursion credit for our "Free at Sea" choice (since there are 9 islands on this cruise).

But - I've noticed that these islands aren't ones NCL typically sails to - some of them don't even show up as options when you browse all shore excursions (not just ones for my cruise).

So - people who have sailed with NCL to the following islands - do you feel there were at least a decent number of Shore Excursions available to choose from? Or would I be better off picking a different "Free at Sea" choice? (We already get $50/port for the Distinctive Voyages perk, so we'll end up with $100/stateroom/port).

St. George's, Grenada

Bridgetown, Barbados
Castries, St. Lucia
Roseau, Dominica
Basseterre, St. Kitts

Thanks everyone!

PS - was going to post in our roll call, but only 6 people are signed up so far.

I'm anxious to hear what you find out, since we are on the Dawn from San Juan in January. Still need to choose a hotel and flight. We'll wait (im)patiently for excursions.

At one time we were booked on a cruise leaving from San Juan, and we had planned to stay the night before the cruise at the Sheraton Old San Juan, which is (or was) right next to the dock used by NCL. Unfortunately, we had to cancel that cruise, so we never went.

At the time, there were two cruise docks in San Juan. One in front of the old town, by the Sheraton, and one across the harbor, by the airport, used by the other cruise lines. I don't know if that's still true since the hurricane.

Hello everyone,

St. George's, Grenada

Bridgetown, Barbados
Castries, St. Lucia
Roseau, Dominica
Basseterre, St. Kitts

Thanks everyone!

Actually you will have $150 per port. The free at sea choice is 50 per person while the distinctive voyage is 50 per port. So in reality $75.00 per person per port!

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Actually you will have $150 per port. The free at sea choice is 50 per person while the distinctive voyage is 50 per port. So in reality $75.00 per person per port!

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Free at sea is $50 per cabin per port. Not per person.

I did a similar cruise on carnival several yrs ago and the only ship sponsored excursion I did was out of Dominica. We did a river tubing with a lunch. Beautiful rainforest. Great tour guides. But the only reason we did it was because when we got off the boat to just do our own thing like we did at all the other ports we were harassed and quickly realized there was going to be no escaping it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello everyone,

If you decide to do shore excursions on your own consider the ones I mention below. I’ve taken them all and highly recommend each and every one!

Lesley

St. George's, Grenada

Bridgetown, Barbados - book at snorkel adventure with Calabaza.
Castries, St. Lucia - book an excursion with Cosol Tours.
Fort-de-France, Martinique - book a tour with Karambole Tours
Roseau, Dominica
Basseterre, St. Kitts - get a day pass to the Marriott