Allure (Oasis Class) Questions

Apologies in advance for the long list of questions.

It's been a few years since we cruised. We had previously been on Explorer, Navigator and Mariner and now have a cruise booked on Allure later this year. It seems like lots of stuff has changed since, and will need some help in planning.

1. We liked the food in MDR previously (last cruise in 2011), is the food quality still the same?
  2. Based on what I read, most ppl prepaid and prebook the specialty dinning, is that a must?
  3. Is there still Lobster Tails on one of the "formal night" <- from what i read, it is no longer very formal.
  4. If we want the early fixed dinning time, is there somewhere on the cruise planner where i can confirm/update
  5. Do you need to pre-book excursions or can you book when on ship? Is it cheaper to prebook or book on ship?
  6. Do you need to book a shows or can you just show up at the time of show?
  7. Voom Package - when it said the number of devices (ie 1 device), does it mean you can only use the same device for the duration of the cruise. Or does it means you can only have 1 connected device at a given time (but can be diff devices)

Any other tips that will help with the planning for the Allure will be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to prebook shows, but I would strongly recommend it. If you prebook, you can enter the venue early and get a better choice of seats. If you don't prebook, you have to stand in a standby line, and only get into the venue about 10 minutes before the show starts.

Apologies in advance for the long list of questions.

It's been a few years since we cruised. We had previously been on Explorer, Navigator and Mariner and now have a cruise booked on Allure later this year. It seems like lots of stuff has changed since, and will need some help in planning.

1. We liked the food in MDR previously (last cruise in 2011), is the food quality still the same? Very subjective topic, but to us, the quality, portion size and selection has changed, but you won't starve. However, we do not like the service in the MDR on Oasis class ships as there seems to be a necessity to turn tables as fast as possible.
  2. Based on what I read, most ppl prepaid and prebook the specialty dinning, is that a must? No, but if you have a specific date/time in mind, then it would be beneficial to pre book.
  3. Is there still Lobster Tails on one of the "formal night" <- from what i read, it is no longer very formal. Can't comment on whether Lobster tails are served in formal night, but there is definitely a reduction in formality on these nights.
  4. If we want the early fixed dinning time, is there somewhere on the cruise planner where i can confirm/update Depends on what you selected at the time of booking
  5. Do you need to pre-book excursions or can you book when on ship? Is it cheaper to prebook or book on ship? It can be cheaper to prebook as there are often 'sales' offered and due to the number of guests on board Oasis class ships, there maybe limited availability for popular shore excursions when onboard.
  6. Do you need to book a shows or can you just show up at the time of show? To ensure a seat, then it is encouraged to make advance reservations. If you turn up there are lines and if seating is available people are allowed in near the start of the show, but entrance cannot be guaranteed.
  7. Voom Package - when it said the number of devices (ie 1 device), does it mean you can only use the same device for the duration of the cruise. Or does it means you can only have 1 connected device at a given time (but can be diff devices) Only 1 connected at one time. I regularly log off one device and log onto another

Any other tips that will help with the planning for the Allure will be greatly appreciated.

Hope the above helps

Re: Lobster. When we cruised on Allure last August (2017), there was not lobster. But I've heard mixed reports. You can buy as an "add on" anytime, but the price is actually pretty high. In 2016, on the Explorer of the Seas, we had lobster (no steak) on the 2nd formal night...but I have to say it was a puny, over-cooked guy. Not worth getting excited for.

I think you've already received good answers to the rest of your questions, in terms of factual information. Some of what you ask is subjective. MANY will say quality of food has gone down. We've been cruising since 2011, and haven't noticed that in particular. Some nights are very good, others...well, not so much. More down to individual meals than a complete blanket statement of yea or nay. We found service in the MDR to be very nice on the Allure...yes, they are in a rush, but I never felt like WE were rushed. Some nights, we moved out of there fast (to see a show) and other nights, lingered over wine. No issue for our wait team. Technically, you don't HAVE to book shows and specialty restaurants in advance, but personally, I try to do so. Often, it's easier to cancel or modify a reservation than to have nothing when you get on board. Give it your best shot, knowing you can likely "edit" as needed. (Oh, and yes, formal nights are steadily getting less formal. We've noticed that in the few years we've been cruising. RCCL will absolutely have a couple of them, and many folks will dress up, but many won't. We like to, and we always pose for lots of photos...although we rarely buy any. If you like doing that, go for it. You won't feel like outliers AT ALL.)

Yes, on the cruise planner online, there is a spot where you can confirm and change dining options. ALTHOUGH, I must say, they fill up fast and then you have to try when you get on the ship.

We loved the Allure, and are sailing her again with our whole family at Thanksgiving.

We liked the food in MDR previously (last cruise in 2011), is the food quality still the same?

The food continues to change to meet the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. The following link has MDR menus and some food pics from last week on the Allure. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

Based on what I read, most ppl prepaid and prebook the specialty dinning, is that a must?

Specialty restaurants will fill up fast. Especially at prime time dining. You must make reservations if you want the dates and time of your choosing.

Is there still Lobster Tails on one of the "formal night" <- from what i read, it is no longer very formal.

Yes, there was lobster night on Day 6 (a formal night on our cruise). Pictures in the link above.

If we want the early fixed dinning time, is there somewhere on the cruise planner where i can confirm/update

You select your dining when you book. On these large ships with varied show times, we have given up on fixed dining times. We much prefer the MyTime Dining and go to dinner when it fits our schedule.

Do you need to pre-book excursions or can you book when on ship? Is it cheaper to prebook or book on ship?

As your cruise dates near, there will be discount offers via email. It will not be discounted on board.

Do you need to book a shows or can you just show up at the time of show?

You must prebook shows that allow it. Especially comedy shows. Book the aqua shows early in the cruise, they will cancel if the seas are too rough and reschedule. Doing it early in the cruise (and having MyTimeDining) allow you to see the show when the seas are calmer.

Voom Package - when it said the number of devices (ie 1 device), does it mean you can only use the same device for the duration of the cruise. Or does it means you can only have 1 connected device at a given time (but can be diff devices)

Only one device at a time. You can log on/log off multiple devices. We shared one Voom account with 3 phones and 2 ipads last week.

See my live posting from last week from the Allure. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542