Train cost vs taxi

aamechs2

Can someone give me the cost of taking the train and then the shuttle to the free port shuttle in Civitivecchia? We will be leaving from Termini. I want to make sure I have my facts right before I advocate a taxi. :)

Can someone give me the cost of taking the train and then the shuttle to the free port shuttle in Civitivecchia? We will be leaving from Termini. I want to make sure I have my facts right before I advocate a taxi. :)

Current one-way cost of the regional train will be in the order of €10 - €12 per person. The train can get crowded, tho' that's worse later in the afternoon, when cruisers on a port-of-call visit return to their ships - and in any case Termini is where the train starts & as long as you're there in good time you'll get decent seats and be able to keep your luggage close to you.

There's also the option of taking the (more expensive) express train - I believe seats are allocated on the express.

I don't know the cost of the bus from Civi station to port gate but it'll only be pennies, or mebbe take a taxi right to your ship. We walked, even with luggage, but that was before the port gate was moved.

By all means advocate a pre-booked taxi for simplicity, but for a twosome the train will be significantly cheaper/

JB :)

Depends on which train you choose.

The Regionale trains, which depart frequently from Termini (about every half hour) for Civitavecchia cost 5 euro per person for a one-way ride. Advantages: cheap, flexible departure timing. Disadvantages: crowded, long walk to platform from which they depart, no assigned seating.

There is one Frecciabianca, which is the fast express train, in the time frame you'd be traveling. It departs Termini at 11:57 am and arrives in Civitavecchia at 12:44. It costs from 9.90 euro per person, depending on class of service you purchase and how far in advance you buy your tickets. Advantages: Reserved seat, departs from platforms close to the station head (less of a walk). Disadvantages: more expensive, only one departure choice.

There is also one Intercity (IC) train option, leaving at 9:57 and arriving Civi at 10:45 -- but there is no real price difference between this and the Frecce train, and the Frecce is much nicer and probably is a better time for travel to the port.

The city-run Argo bus from the train station to the shuttle pick-up/drop off place (Largo della Pace) costs 2 euro per person.

The train from Termini is as cruisemom42 noted. A group of 10 of us arrived at Civitavecchia at different times. The frecciabianca is cheaper if pre-booked about 90 days out.

From the train station to Lago Della Pace is:

A pleasant 20 minute walk straight down the Main Street

A $2eu per person public bus ride

A $8-10eu taxi if there’s one available as they tend to congregate by the port hoping for the big $ transfer to Rome or airport

I am wondering about where to put your luggage on the train, and the Argo bus to Largo Della Pace (2 of us, each with a suitcase and a carry on). I did use the bus and train in '16 but it was during a port stop, so we had no luggage and I didn't pay attention to where luggage would go.

Thanks,

Paul

I am wondering about where to put your luggage on the train, and the Argo bus to Largo Della Pace (2 of us, each with a suitcase and a carry on). I did use the bus and train in '16 but it was during a port stop, so we had no luggage and I didn't pay attention to where luggage would go.

Thanks,

Paul

The freeshuttle between the pier and the Largo Della Pace has plenty of luggage storage space underneath. But the 2€ shuttle that takes you from the Large Della Pace to the train station does not have underneath storage (at least ours did not) so one would have to carry the luggage on the bus. But they are large buses..so you would just manage.

As to luggage on the train, this is a challenge. The overhead rack can handle small to medium size pieces (assuming you can lift it that high). Otherwise, if the train is pretty full you will have to store the luggage at the end of the car (there is some space). I carry a luggage cable lock (it has a retractable steel cable and combination lock) so I can wind the cable through the luggage handles and secure it to the train. This is a but obsessive...but it truly prevents a thief from snatching the luggage as you enter a station. And yes. these kind of crimes happen all too often in Italy. If you do not have a cable lock (you can buy them online at Amazon or other places) then you really need to keep an eye on your luggage...especially as you are slowing down for a station (and stopped).

Hank

Just to let you know that Civi station has staircases which you will have to use in order to get from the train platform to the street.

If you have just carry-on's it's doable, otherwise use car service to avoid the stress.

You can also share a ride with other cruise passengers.

If you are part of a group that can share a van you can get the cost per person for a transfer down to a number that isn't such a huge difference from the train plus bus plus bus option, close enough that the hassle factor of all of the transitions becomes a cost to be considered.

Traveling alone, as I sometimes do, it's almost impossible for me to justify the cost of a private (or taxi) transfer. Even as a couple it's still a big difference but there's also the aggravation cost to be considered. For some people public transport is a chore, for others of us it's a way of life and you learn to ignore the little issues while doing your best to mitigate the bigger ones (see Hank's suggestions, above).