Upgrade bid on MX or call CAS on week of sailing?

kprudge

We have a mid-ship BA on the Getaway. I would like to get into a Balcony Spa, MiniSuite Spa, Aft Balcony, or anything Haven. At two weeks out, there seems to be a good number of such cabins available (some more so than others).

CAS told me to call back the week of sailing, which I think I will do regardless. I can also put a low bid in on an MX. Will my upgrade possibilities be noticeably better (in options and/or expense) if we are starting from MX vs BA? If we get "stuck" in an MX we won't like, is it possible to change the cabin # in the same category after the cabin has been assigned?

Also, can one take advantage of cancellations during check in?

Many thanks for your advice! We are about to have an amazing time regardless of which balcony you find us on!

CAS has gone to charging the difference in price between your comped room and the room you want. Versus the fixed upgrade fee they had for years.

The ship will not allow any room changes on embarkation day. They can’t afford to have 4000 people in line looking for a “deal”. So they just don’t do it, ever.

Week of sailing, the upgrade system starts to take most of the inventory and move people up.

We have a mid-ship BA on the Getaway. I would like to get into a Balcony Spa, MiniSuite Spa, Aft Balcony, or anything Haven. At two weeks out, there seems to be a good number of such cabins available (some more so than others).

CAS told me to call back the week of sailing, which I think I will do regardless. I can also put a low bid in on an MX. Will my upgrade possibilities be noticeably better (in options and/or expense) if we are starting from MX vs BA? If we get "stuck" in an MX we won't like, is it possible to change the cabin # in the same category after the cabin has been assigned?

Also, can one take advantage of cancellations during check in?

Many thanks for your advice! We are about to have an amazing time regardless of which balcony you find us on!

Are you saying you already have a comped room from CAS? And they told you to call back the week of sailing? That's strange. As pointed out, CAS will simply tell you the price difference between your comped cabin and the cabin you want, and if you choose to do it, you pay that difference.

If you want the cabin, but not dying to have it I would use the upgrade system. CAS will quote a price, in my case $600-800 to move from inside to balcony. My successful bid was granted at the minimum, way lower than the CAS upgrade or cabin difference price.

I have paid the fee with CAS when having the balcony was a must. When it has been a want I took a shot with the upgrade bidding system.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.