Celebrity 1a vs RCC Grand Suite

I know, I know - suite is going to be better BUT.

My friend is having a big birthday in 2020. She wants a group of us to go on a cruise to celebrate. Who am I to complain? However she has been on two cruises before. A Carnival one to Mexico and a P&O one to the South Pacific Islands. She is a 5* sort of girl so wasn't massively happy with either cruise (I was surprised when they booked the P&O one although they did sail in the Royal Penthouse(? I think that is what it is called).

She wants the 5* experience this time and wants the suite life on RCC for the club benefits. She likes club floors in hotels. I haven't sailed RCC and have only had suites on Carnival which is completely different. I was thinking that a 1a type cabin on Celebrity gives you a 5*ish experience with enough bars around the place to enjoy and the specialty restaurants if she didn't want to do the dining room but I don't have any RCC or suite experience to say for sure. Can anyone give me some advice?

And I do understand that if we really want 5* in cruising terms it should be one of the really expensive lines.

Your best avenue is to check the individual cruise line websites and read about their suite programs. Your friend no doubt has very a specific concept of what they want, so check for a black and white description for each cruise’s suite option so there aren’t any surprises onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a huge difference between a 1A cabin on Celebrity and Suite Class on Royal.

We have done both. A full suite on Oasis and a Junior Suite on Ovation. In fact we’re currently on Ovation of the Seas and suites are amazing. New ship, modern and RCCL really treat suite guests extremely well. We also get into Coastal kitchen which is exclusive for suite guests and it’s like going to a Specialty restaurant every night. By 2020 Royal will have another new ship down under, I think it’s Symphony of the Seas and it too will be amazing.

I would go with Celebrity,if she likes the good things in life.

If you want night life go for a grand suite on ovation ,the entertainment is good.

Either way get a suite with concierge.

In the next coming weeks they should release their cruising schedule.

PS ,P&O is just mt Druit afloat.

I would go with Celebrity,if she likes the good things in life.

If you want night life go for a grand suite on ovation ,the entertainment is good.

Either way get a suite with concierge.

In the next coming weeks they should release their cruising schedule.

PS ,P&O is just mt Druit afloat.

Where does that put Celebrity and RCCL? Parramatta and the Shire?

For someone liking club floors in hotels and wanting 5*, in that choice, no contest: RCC.

A 1A on Celebrity is just one of the basic cabins amongst 1000-1500 cabins. No special service, and can be queues/waits due to cutbacks in certain areas (esp bars on some Australian cruises).

RCCL do look after their suite guests. The concierge lounge is nice with the cocktails in the evening, quite like a club lounge in a hotel. They also had reserved seats in the theatre and deck chairs for suite guests. When we went they didn’t have a separate suite restaurant and we weren’t keen on the food. The new restaurant would be a big improvement. It’s hard to beat a Celebrity Suite if you can get one at the right price. They really look after their suite guests. An alternative may be an aqua class cabin on Celebrity which has a separate restaurant and access to the thermal suite which she may enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...