Packing wine - flying - carry-on? Ug....

Seavoyage

An average cruise for 7 days costs maybe $700 - $1000 per person. Plus the HSC of $13.50 a day, and shore excursions and other onboard spending. I'm retired on fixed income, but I would never take the chance of a broken or stolen (TSA guys like wine too) bottle of wine wrapped in the clothes I need to wear on the cruise, just to save $25-40. Buy it on the ship and save the $18 corkage fee for wine you bring on. Maybe if it's a special occasion and you are bringing a $400 bottle of wine, but otherwise, fly in early enough and buy it in a wine store, or buy it on the ship. As others have said, TSA may remove all your bubble wrap and double baggies for their inspection and throw it back in your bag, unprotected. Penny wise and pound foolish !

Edited by TAD2005

Have you already made your plane reservations?

If not, I'd suggest a pre-night stay. We always book a pre-night. Too many airline delays these days.

Also, those wine bottles are heavy, and you're limited to 50 pounds per bag, then the large penalties start.

Yes - we leave Saturday! Wooohooo😂

An average cruise for 7 days costs maybe $700 - $1000 per person. Plus the HSC of $13.50 a day, and shore excursions and other onboard spending. I'm retired on fixed income, but I would never take the chance of a broken or stolen (TSA guys like wine too) bottle of wine wrapped in the clothes I need to wear on the cruise, just to save $25-40. Buy it on the ship and save the $18 corkage fee for wine you bring on. Maybe if it's a special occasion and you are bringing a $400 bottle of wine, but otherwise, fly in early enough and buy it in a wine store, or buy it on the ship. As others have said, TSA may remove all your bubble wrap and double baggies for their inspection and throw it back in your bag, unprotected. Penny wise and pound foolish !

Hey there Tad - thanks for all those terrific thoughts. I appreciate your sincere concern. Since you put so much time and thought into my question, I guess I feel the need to respond. As I mentioned previously the two bottles in question are Rombauers - and yes indeed you are correct, they are only about $45 a bottle. I must tell you though, there is no way I would even think to travel with any of our “collection wines” way too risky...those only move from their home in “their cellar” to our table for special occasions. But I want to bring these 2 cheapo bottles - why? Because I want them. Hence my simple but obvious somewhat controversial question. Further we are in a Neptune Suite, so I guess if a bottle breaks all over my clothes (which by the way will be in packing cubes safe and sound) and should any need cleaning, they will be sent to the ship’s dry cleaning. We will hit 4 Stars on this cruise - I assure you I’ve packed many a bottle of wine in my luggage no TSA person has ever stolen a bottle or removed my bubble packing - not sure what airports you may frequent but fortunately ours has never been an issue - plus we are on a direct flight. I AM informed of HAL’s carry-on rules - I just wanted to know if anyone had any recent experience keeping bottles in their luggage and if so the result. I just didn’t feel like opening my strategically packed luggage for carry-on transfer....simple question or so I thought. Congratulations on your retirement....cheers! :D

Hey there Tad - thanks for all those terrific thoughts. I appreciate your sincere concern. Since you put so much time and thought into my question, I guess I feel the need to respond. As I mentioned previously the two bottles in question are Rombauers - and yes indeed you are correct, they are only about $45 a bottle. I must tell you though, there is no way I would even think to travel with any of our “collection wines” way too risky...those only move from their home in “their cellar” to our table for special occasions. But I want to bring these 2 cheapo bottles - why? Because I want them. Hence my simple but obvious somewhat controversial question. Further we are in a Neptune Suite, so I guess if a bottle breaks all over my clothes (which by the way will be in packing cubes safe and sound) and should any need cleaning, they will be sent to the ship’s dry cleaning. We will hit 4 Stars on this cruise - I assure you I’ve packed many a bottle of wine in my luggage no TSA person has ever stolen a bottle or removed my bubble packing - not sure what airports you may frequent but fortunately ours has never been an issue - plus we are on a direct flight. I AM informed of HAL’s carry-on rules - I just wanted to know if anyone had any recent experience keeping bottles in their luggage and if so the result. I just didn’t feel like opening my strategically packed luggage for carry-on transfer....simple question or so I thought. Congratulations on your retirement....cheers! :D

I assume you are bringing white wines (I know NOTHING about wine) because the ship’s laundry is probably not going to get red wine stains out of your clothes. Just saying.

I would order from Total Wines and run in and grab them. Takes no more time than re-packing from suitcase.

No matter what you do ... have a wonderful cruise!!!