Packing wine - flying - carry-on? Ug....

Seavoyage

Hi All - since we will be flying to FLL - I will be packing a couple bottles of wine as allowed. I'll put one in each suitcase. I realize they insist you have the wine in a carry-on but do they ever make exception for those flying? Once I have the bottles packed I would rather leave them safely secured in bags. Has anyone had any experience doing this lately - will we get called to naughty room or worse yet - will they confiscate my wine?:confused:Thanks in advance for any advice...:DHappy Easter!

I would think a good many people on cruises fly to get there so I doubt they make exceptions for flyers. Just follow the rules, it's easier for you and them.

My best advice is to not buy the wine until you get to Florida. Unless it some rare, must have only this wine situation just buy the wine at a local store. No breakage or theft worries. And some stores will give you a nice tote to carry it to the ship.

I wouldn't even want to risk having wine in my checked luggage. Have you seen the way the bags are tossed?

Even disembarking, if I have duty free or other bottles, I put them in my carry on and once I have retrieved my luggage I slip them in. Just takes a minute.

Wine is to be carried on as are all beverages.

Thank you all - unfortunately for us... no time to stop to pick up wine on way to port - we are "living dangerously" given we are flying in same day....oh well will just have to unpack it...cheers!
Wow, you really do like to walk on the edge! Can't you ask your driver to make a very brief stop to run in and buy two bottles of wine. If you know what exactly you want, it shouldn't take too long. I would never, ever, pack wine in my suitcase when flying. Can you purchase the wine at the airport once you clear security? You can put it directly into your carryon and you're good to go when you get to the pier.

Hi All - since we will be flying to FLL - I will be packing a couple bottles of wine as allowed. I'll put one in each suitcase. I realize they insist you have the wine in a carry-on but do they ever make exception for those flying? Once I have the bottles packed I would rather leave them safely secured in bags. Has anyone had any experience doing this lately - will we get called to naughty room or worse yet - will they confiscate my wine?:confused:Thanks in advance for any advice...:DHappy Easter!

Unless you're bringing some unusual (and generally unavailable other than at the winery) estate wine from your "collection," just find a good retail store with a wide selection once you arrive at the port town (e.g., in the US: Tower Wine, BevMo, even a Safeway supermarket).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have put bottles of wine in our suitcases, well padded and in tightly sealed plastic bags - just in case!

I don't think it would take long, after you have picked up your bags, to quickly open them and transfer the bottles to your carry-ons. I believe being sent to the "naughty room" can mean a delay in getting your bags and unpacking.

We have put bottles of wine in our suitcases, well padded and in tightly sealed plastic bags - just in case!

I don't think it would take long, after you have picked up your bags, to quickly open them and transfer the bottles to your carry-ons. I believe being sent to the "naughty room" can mean a delay in getting your bags and unpacking.

Why not play it safe and buy the wine before embarkation. It could get expensive to have a suitcase full of clothes dry cleaned and or washed for the cruise journey because of a airport baggage handling mishap. Just my opinion.

Why not play it safe and buy the wine before embarkation. It could get expensive to have a suitcase full of clothes dry cleaned and or washed for the cruise journey because of a airport baggage handling mishap. Just my opinion.
Agree 100%! It would just ruin the cruise for me. Not worth it for 2 bottles of wine that can be purchased when you reach your destination before embarking on your cruise.

Are you a good packer?

We have traveled for a long time, with wine in our luggage and Liquor on the way home and have never had anything break.

It goes in the middle of the suitcase, wrapped in sweaters etc. and socks around to support the neck.

Sandra

Are you a good packer?

We have traveled for a long time, with wine in our luggage and Liquor on the way home and have never had anything break.

It goes in the middle of the suitcase, wrapped in sweaters etc. and socks around to support the neck.

Sandra

I got an inflatable wine bag on Amazon that some posters here had recommended. Works like a charm, combined with packing it on the center of the suitcase.

Thank you all - Yes we have traveled with no issues to BVI's - . Thomas - etc...Ferrys and all via wine in luggage - not my concern re packing...albeit never say never re breakage..we've been lucky - would just rather not unpack - but given the advice here - we will transfer to carry on. Flatbush it's nothing that special just a couple of Rombauers....just would hate to lose them...cheers

Last cruise on the Westerdam one of our party didn't follow instructions and left a bottle in her checked bag. In addition to a trip to the naughty room before getting her bag, she didn't get the wine until the last night of the cruise.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

Thank you all - unfortunately for us... no time to stop to pick up wine on way to port - we are "living dangerously" given we are flying in same day....oh well will just have to unpack it...cheers!

I wrap my bottle in bubble wrap and then put it in a large zip lock bag. Never had a broken bottle yet:)

I double zip-lock bag and put a bath towel in the outer bag for padding and to soak up the wine should the bottle break and the inner bag leak. I also use the super tough bags that moving companies give you for the stuff off your desktop when they move your business. I haven't lost a bottle yet.

Have you already made your plane reservations?

If not, I'd suggest a pre-night stay. We always book a pre-night. Too many airline delays these days.

Also, those wine bottles are heavy, and you're limited to 50 pounds per bag, then the large penalties start.

My husband brings special bottles of Port that he wouldn't be able to get on the ship or at a wine shop at the embarcation point. We have never had breakage trouble packing them in checked luggage but usually use the sealed padded bags.

What we do notice is that having a couple of bottles of liquid in your suitcase is guaranteed to get it opened by the TSA, and on our trip last May a few things fell out of my clamshell-type suitcase and did not get put back in. So half my swimsuit was on someone else's vacation, and I only had one pair of walking shoes. So if you have a choice between types of suitcase to put the wine in, don't put it in one that opens like a clamshell and has things on both sides!

My husband brings special bottles of Port that he wouldn't be able to get on the ship or at a wine shop at the embarcation point. We have never had breakage trouble packing them in checked luggage but usually use the sealed padded bags.

What we do notice is that having a couple of bottles of liquid in your suitcase is guaranteed to get it opened by the TSA, and on our trip last May a few things fell out of my clamshell-type suitcase and did not get put back in. So half my swimsuit was on someone else's vacation, and I only had one pair of walking shoes. So if you have a choice between types of suitcase to put the wine in, don't put it in one that opens like a clamshell and has things on both sides!

This is a key point. Certain things in checked baggage will result in a TSA search of the bag while it is not with you.

We have taken liquor in suitcases before for trips other than cruises. Wrapped bottles in bubble wrap and put into double zip lock bags. Put in the middle of the suitcase padded with clothes. We also have used "Bottle Armor" bags which I bought on Magellans a long time ago and put those bottles in the bag in a big zip bag. We never had a problem. However, I agree with another poster who said sometimes liquids like that in bags will trigger TSA opening your bag to inspect it. That's fine as long as you don't lose things from your bag in the process like that previous poster stated.

A friend of mine visited here in NC and took a jar of local BBQ sauce home with her up north in her suitcase. It was opened by TSA...she found a note when she got home. She had wrapped it up really good with bubble wrap and after they inspected it, they just threw it back in the suitcase minus the bubble wrap. Lucky it didn't break, she had a soft sided suitcase. Turned out okay, but might not have......

We have taken liquor in suitcases before for trips other than cruises. Wrapped bottles in bubble wrap and put into double zip lock bags. Put in the middle of the suitcase padded with clothes. We also have used "Bottle Armor" bags which I bought on Magellans a long time ago and put those bottles in the bag in a big zip bag. We never had a problem. However, I agree with another poster who said sometimes liquids like that in bags will trigger TSA opening your bag to inspect it. That's fine as long as you don't lose things from your bag in the process like that previous poster stated.

A friend of mine visited here in NC and took a jar of local BBQ sauce home with her up north in her suitcase. It was opened by TSA...she found a note when she got home. She had wrapped it up really good with bubble wrap and after they inspected it, they just threw it back in the suitcase minus the bubble wrap. Lucky it didn't break, she had a soft sided suitcase. Turned out okay, but might not have......

Oh my gosh - how nicecof TSA! Yikes...

You can order ahead online at Total Wine and BevMo so that it’s ready to grab when you arrive, if that helps at all . Otherwise, I’d just pack in such a way that you can transfer it to your carryon on arrival