MDR question

rnr4thatsme

My DH does not like sauces on his entrees. He's always polite and smiling when he requests his entrees "his way". It often becomes a joke between he and the servers as the cruise progresses.

Requesting what you'd like does not have to be "demanding, difficult or rude"

No it does not, and I was not suggesting that at all. But I have seen people talk to the wait staff like they were indentured servants, raise their voice when wait staff was unable to accommodate, pitch a fit if their steak wasn't cooked to their liking etc.

We aren't talking, "may I please have the hollandaise sauce on the side?"

Judging by all of the responses, it just baffles me when I see someone say something bad about the MDR. Two people could be on the same cruise and one would say "service was slow, wouldn't feed the food to my dog" and the other would say "excellent service and food".

The MDR is one of my favorite experiences of cruising. It feels like I'm going to dinner somewhere halfway decent every night, and not gorging myself. The wait staff has been fantastic, and will do what they can to make you happy.

"I don't want to be a problem for the wait staff." seriously? they work for you

I was brought up to be considerate of everyone, whether they are working for me or not. If my not following the usual restaurant routine of appetizer, entrée, dessert would impact the flow of the meal of others eating at my table, or if it caused undue extra work (keeping food warm or having to prepare fresh, etc) for the wait staff who are already working long, hard days - I would rather just pick something from each of the categories and be done with it. They are serving hundreds of people per day and I was unsure what the scope of "special requests" could reasonably include. It's not as if it is a small, intimate restaurant on land.

Edited by rnr4thatsme

Judging by all of the responses, it just baffles me when I see someone say something bad about the MDR. Two people could be on the same cruise and one would say "service was slow, wouldn't feed the food to my dog" and the other would say "excellent service and food".

The MDR is one of my favorite experiences of cruising. It feels like I'm going to dinner somewhere halfway decent every night, and not gorging myself. The wait staff has been fantastic, and will do what they can to make you happy.

Totally agree. These people are working for a living. Now I've had some less than great waiters, but on the whole, they have been friendly and attentive. Much better than the majority of waiters you get on land. The MDR, especially for breakfast is one of my favorite experiences. I've always felt that the wait staff, especially the better ones make you feel special. You especially realize that when you have to request something special. We've traveled with our daughter who has Celiac disease and worked with waitstaff so she can order Gluten Free.

Hi there! I know I can order multiple appetizers, but say I wanted two appetizers, one as a main course. Would they bring it out when the others I'm with are getting their main course? I don't want to be a problem for the wait staff. I was just looking at some of the menus online here and thought there are some nights when I think I would rather just have 2 appetizers as opposed to an appetizer and a main. Save room for dessert!

They will bring it out whenever you want, as much as you want!

They had these steak on a stick app. during a cruise in Jan, they were great! So after having 2 for my app., I canceled my entree, and ordered 4 more for my meal with a baked pot., what a great meal!;p

I usually get two appetizers and two entrees (don’t eat much during the day so I am usually starving by dinner!) plus the servings really aren’t that big.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby always gets at least 2 or 3 apps and 2 main courses, sometimes 3. I almost always have an app and a soup or salad or second app and a main course. The apps are often extremely small. Some of them can be eaten in one or two bites.

We typically have ATD so its just DH and I. Usually if we both order 2 apps, they will bring them one at a time. Sometimes if DH orders three, they will bring 1 and then 2 (or vise versa). But when it comes to the main course, they bring both of his at once at the same time as mine. They seem in tune to making sure that there is a good flow. I love that.

My hubby always gets at least 2 or 3 apps and 2 main courses, sometimes 3. I almost always have an app and a soup or salad or second app and a main course. The apps are often extremely small. Some of them can be eaten in one or two bites.

We typically have ATD so its just DH and I. Usually if we both order 2 apps, they will bring them one at a time. Sometimes if DH orders three, they will bring 1 and then 2 (or vise versa). But when it comes to the main course, they bring both of his at once at the same time as mine. They seem in tune to making sure that there is a good flow. I love that.

3 apps and 3 meals,,,,did I see you hubby on one of them eating contests?;p

Just because they are working for you doesn't mean you should be demanding, difficult or rude. I think the poster was making sure that he/she would not be one of "those people"....

Why would you assume I am any of those offensive words. I own a restaurant and am very respectful. The post is about getting an extra appetizer, just ask, nothing to be afraid of. I find your post very offensive and you do not know me at all.