Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I wanted to pick one from column A and one from Column B .. loved mondo's off the rack (or whatever) and loved Andy's Couture ..

Both Gretchen and April have gotten to be very one-note .. drapy, dowdy or sex kitten lingerie .. boring.

At least one could wear Valerie's white gown .. no one would look good in those messes of Ivy's!

My thought when they announced the bottom 3 and top 3 was I didn't think Michael C's was that good to end up in the top 3, because surely the bottom 3 is Valery, Ivy, and Gretchen. And then Gretchen ended up in the top 3 and I went *****!! Who is she sleeping with to keep ending up in the top with her shapeless, dowdy clothes?

Loved, loved, loved Mondo's outfit and thought it definitely deserved to win (although wouldn't have been upset with Andy winning).

My thought when they announced the bottom 3 and top 3 was I didn't think Michael C's was that good to end up in the top 3, because surely the bottom 3 is Valery, Ivy, and Gretchen. And then Gretchen ended up in the top 3 and I went *****!! Who is she sleeping with to keep ending up in the top with her shapeless, dowdy clothes?

Loved, loved, loved Mondo's outfit and thought it definitely deserved to win (although wouldn't have been upset with Andy winning).

I agree with you!!!!

I thought for a minute Gretchen was going to win and decided "if she wins, I would stop watching the show". My question is "would Heldi wear Gretchen's mess.....I mean dress"?

Well most of the clothes were boring or blah .. but I breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't send Andy home for that mess he put out there. His body of work is significantly better than Valeri's .

Interesting episode .. lots of backstory and tears .. but I am really waiting to see next weeks .. what a Teaser that was!!

Congrats to Mondo .. again the clear winner.

OMG......I just don't know what the judges see in Gretchen's clothes (HD TV doesn't make them better). Thought I would LMAO when they said the print looked like the model had a "fried egg" on her boob.

Good job Mondo! He's fabric choices and sewing skills are amazing.

About time Valerie went. I'd have auf'd her 4 weeks ago.

Hooray for Mondo! His outfit was the clear winner. I'm pleased he didn't tell his story until after he'd received nothing but praise for his design -- that way there was no way sympathy played a role.

I feel like Mondo is a sure bet for the final three. I want April to get there, too, and I think she will. I suspect the other one will be Gretchen. I would rather see either Michael or Andy (depending on how things go in the future).

I would much rather see more of the design process and less emotion. Have you noticed you can almost always tell who is going to have a great outfit because they show it the least?

Since at last half of what Heidi wears is really tacky, I would not want her as a client.

OMG......I just don't know what the judges see in Gretchen's clothes (HD TV doesn't make them better).

Since she claims to not have a lot of money, I've decided that she's definitely sleeping with someone.

Since she claims to not have a lot of money, I've decided that she's definitely sleeping with someone.

Just got home from the high school football game....was compelled to check this thread....glad I did.

Now....my....?....who would want to sleep with Gretchen?????

OT - I'm on the same page as SeaBunny. I want April to be in the finals. I like her "baby doll" look. I can see her creating a fashion line.

I am pretty new to CC, and I had thought that all the message boards here related to cruising... but I was thrilled to find this thread! LOVE Mondo, and his designs - I want him to win so I can shop for his stuff at Piperlime! A lot of his stuff is too out-there for me, but he's definitely done some very wearable stuff - I know everyone loves the off-the-rack look from the L'Oreal challenge, but his outfit from the Marie Claire challenge is still my favorite (I really thought he should have won - Gretchen's ugly jumpsuit made even the rail-thin model look lumpy), with his Jackie O. look at a close second. Oh, and his revamped bridesmaid dress was just amazing.

No comments yet? What's up with that?

I HATED Gretchen's dress. It must have looked very different in person. To me it looked like something Margaret Dumont would have worn in a Marx Brothers movie (BTW, that is far before my time, too -- think plus-size dowager in a mature flapper-style dress)

Super happy Mondo won. Liked Andy's outfits. Thought April should have been in the top 3 instead of Gretchen.

I have not liked Valerie's design for 3 weeks in a row (at least). Ivy has been all over the place. No problem with who they sent home. Valerie will be going soon.

Did you all think it was funny that Gretchen thinks she "owns" burgundy. Too bad Michael had paid no attention to the fact the judges don't like that color.

SeaBunny, I agree with EVERY SINGLE THING you posted here - I guess we have similar taste. Although Gretchen's dress to me, at least from the front, was more along the lines of smelly flower child who lives in the back of beat-up van and practices crystal healing. Are the judges on crack?

Agreed. I was certain that Gretchen was in the bottom! April's designs were certainly better than hers - but even Michael C's were! It made me want to yell at the judges on the TV screen the way other people yell at football games.

About time Valerie went. I'd have auf'd her 4 weeks ago.

Hooray for Mondo! His outfit was the clear winner. I'm pleased he didn't tell his story until after he'd received nothing but praise for his design -- that way there was no way sympathy played a role.

I feel like Mondo is a sure bet for the final three. I want April to get there, too, and I think she will. I suspect the other one will be Gretchen. I would rather see either Michael or Andy (depending on how things go in the future).

Agreed, again. I adore Valerie as a person - she seems really sweet and always tries to keep a positive outlook - but no so much as a designer. I'd say that I'm surprised that she lasted so long... but then, Gretchen is still there...

And I totally agree about Mondo. I love that the judges' praise made it pretty clear that he was the winner before he told his story. And then it seems that if his story played a role at all, it wasn't sympathy, but a recognition that he has this amazing ability to turn something sad into something beautiful and even fun - in keeping with his signature. His clothes really are fun and playful, and I think that's important. I also think this challenge was perhaps (besides the back story) not as difficult for him as for the others, because there is always something personal about his designs. And I think that's why he's been so successful.

And of the remaining designers, I think Michael is the one who gets that the least. I mean, I would rather see ANYONE get to the final three besides Gretchen, because her clothes are just hideous, and I think that Michael is a lot better than the other designers on the show seem to think - but I do often look at his designs and think "boring" or "seen that before." He's not BAD, but his designs aren't usually very interesting, and I think he just hasn't really fully developed his signature style yet - I think he will do so eventually, and then he may be just amazing - but he's not there yet.

So I part ways with you at the end there, because I'd much rather see Andy in the final three than Michael. Despite Andy's extremely disappointing design from this week, he definitely has a signature look, and his designs are often gorgeous (I actually really, really WANT his resort look - for my next Caribbean cruise!), sometimes hideous (remember his supposedly "Jackie O" look? huh?) but always interesting, and always true to his own very distinctive design aesthetic. (With the exception of this past week. But I will give him a pass for being emotionally distraught.) I would love to see Mondo, April and Andy in the final three - but I just know Gretchen is going to worm her way in there.

No one's been mentioning Christopher. Which is appropriate. Usually quite elegant, but also usually quite boring.

Just want to say one more thing about April. For the first few episodes, I thought she was horrible and certainly going to be eliminated quickly - but I'm glad I was wrong, because either her designs have improved or she's grown on me. The whole deconstructed-babydoll look is definitely not something I'd be interested in wearing (with the exception of her resort look, although I thought it looked more like lingerie - but I'd probably wear it) - but I'm at least always interested in seeing her designs, and I can appreciate them for what they are. Like Andy, I think she has a distinctive aesthetic, and that's important.

Gretchen does too, of course, but hers is just horrible. I will concede that she is probably not entirely the self-righteous judgmental (ahem) "witch" with a victim complex that the interview clips make her seem... but I still don't like her clothes. At all.

I was thinking that Mondo the only one who "gets it" that this is a runway fashion show? He was the only one to present a fashion worthy of the runway this week. Again, as soon as I saw his print I knew it was just right for the challenge.

The only other fabric I thought was worthy of design in fashion was April. I loved the tree design and the hearts, wasn't crazy for the dress.

Gretchen seems to be like a bad joke on the season. Her first couple of wins were somewhat worthy, but overall she just seems to lack any real runway fashion sense. Granted, she may be fine with ready to wear, but I haven't seen her turn out anything high fashion yet. I think the producers want us to hate her. I even find I'm nitpicking and yelling at her to shut up. She needs a decent hair cut, her ends are horribly dry....see how juvenile I've become :p

I really thought Christopher would be the one to go, but I think Valerie resigned herself last week from the competition. Paper patterns don't necessarily make better designs.

And of the remaining designers, I think Michael is the one who gets that the least. I mean, I would rather see ANYONE get to the final three besides Gretchen, because her clothes are just hideous, and I think that Michael is a lot better than the other designers on the show seem to think - but I do often look at his designs and think "boring" or "seen that before." He's not BAD, but his designs aren't usually very interesting, and I think he just hasn't really fully developed his signature style yet - I think he will do so eventually, and then he may be just amazing - but he's not there yet.

So I part ways with you at the end there, because I'd much rather see Andy in the final three than Michael. Despite Andy's extremely disappointing design from this week, he definitely has a signature look, and his designs are often gorgeous (I actually really, really WANT his resort look - for my next Caribbean cruise!), sometimes hideous (remember his supposedly "Jackie O" look? huh?) but always interesting, and always true to his own very distinctive design aesthetic. (With the exception of this past week. But I will give him a pass for being emotionally distraught.) I would love to see Mondo, April and Andy in the final three - but I just know Gretchen is going to worm her way in there.

No one's been mentioning Christopher. Which is appropriate. Usually quite elegant, but also usually quite boring.

I'm on the fence about Michael and Andy. I guess I feel for what Michael has had to deal with. When Andy is on, he's really on; but also vice versa. I'll see what the next two shows bring from them both.

I pity all of them designing for Heidi.

So it is pretty much unanimous .. we want Gretchen to be the cheater ??

I have seen some of her things here in town and when she isn't trying to be "runway" or her interpretation of it she does some very wearable things that I wouldn't mind having in my casual wardrobe. But what she has done on the show is not good IMHO.

I also hope it is Andy and Mondo but I am really on the fence about April. I don't like her baby doll stuff at all but I did like the idea of the dress she did this week. I am not sure I like the actual dress except in comparison to the other messes. It could be either her or Michael for the final one in the top three as far as I am concerned.

I pity all of them designing for Heidi.

Amen to that. Has she done something that I don't know about that qualifies her as a judge? Modeling definitely doesn't count. I wish Tim Gunn took part in the judging; he certainly has better taste than Heidi.

So it is pretty much unanimous .. we want Gretchen to be the cheater ??

YES. I'm surprised no one has brought that up yet. Of course, since we want it to be Gretchen, it won't be. So who WILL it be? Maybe I'm naive, but I'm having a hard time seeing any of the remaining designers cheating. I would have expected it of Ivy, maybe, but she's gone (thank God). Gretchen is too self-righteous to cheat (unless she could find a way to justify it to herself or argue that it wasn't really cheating). Mondo is too sweet and honest. April seems to have a strong sense of self, and I don't think she'd compromise that for the sake of winning (good for her). So my guess is Michael C, who doesn't seem to do too well under pressure, with my second guess being Andy, who will be under a lot of pressure to redeem himself after last week. I don't know what to think about Christopher; he seems too nice to cheat, but I feel like we don't know much about his personality. What are everyone else's assessments?

I have been surprised that many of the designers, both in the billboard challenge and Marie Claire challenge, appear not to have thought about how their work would look photographed. It's such an important part of fashion, and it seems that if they want to win they should be aware that that's what the judges are looking at in these challenges.

I was totally not surprised that Mondo won the $20,000. His work was very graphic and the colors pop on the page.

I know the show is called Project RUNWAY, but Anna Wintour wouldn't be the fashion goddess she is if print weren't so important as well.

At the end of this show, Gretchen will get offers from the moderate sportswear companies that make clothes for stores like Marshalls, or JC Penney's.

She makes nice looking weable clothing that the average women would want to wear.

She doesn't manke anything that's runway or fashion editorial worthy.

Mondo's clothes are spectacular. If you looked at the seams on the pants you could see how the print matches up perfectly, as if there were no seam there. That takes a lot of skill, and makes the difference between good and great.

Ivy has that kind of construction skill also.

However, Mondo has incredible ideas as well, and Ivy didn't.

Interesting goings on this week here in Portland. Seth Aaron, Jay Sario and Jonathan Joseph Peters will all be showing collections at Fashion Week.

http://www.oregonlive.com/living/index.ssf/2010/10/a_solar_power_theme_is_the_bac.html

Not sure if I will get there Saturday night or not but I do know there will be video available so I will post it here next week.

I have been surprised that many of the designers, both in the billboard challenge and Marie Claire challenge, appear not to have thought about how their work would look photographed. It's such an important part of fashion, and it seems that if they want to win they should be aware that that's what the judges are looking at in these challenges.

I was totally not surprised that Mondo won the $20,000. His work was very graphic and the colors pop on the page.

I know the show is called Project RUNWAY, but Anna Wintour wouldn't be the fashion goddess she is if print weren't so important as well.

True. True.

I didn't get why Gretchen's pantsuit won the "billboard" thing until I saw it up -- it filled the area better. I bet that was as much an art director's decision as the judges.

But what's this about cheating? Was it in the "coming up" bits I don't watch?

OMG what a b$$$$!! She's a terrible designer, has already been eliminated, and dares to talk to someone like that and then says HE'S the one in the wrong.:mad:

And for once Gretchen had decent words and didn't go along with the idiot.

Edited by wrp96

OMG what a b$$$$!! She's a terrible designer, has already been eliminated, and dares to talk to someone like that and then says HE'S the one in the wrong.:mad:

Then on top of it, when someone says they're "done talking" it's a dead giveaway that they have no real basis for any accusations. What was that business of Gretchen talking on the QT to Michael C after all she's said about him? She should have been AUFED for her attitude alone, which was the worst tonight.

Then on top of it, when someone says they're "done talking" it's a dead giveaway that they have no real basis for any accusations. What was that business of Gretchen talking on the QT to Michael C after all she's said about him? She should have been AUFED for her attitude alone, which was the worst tonight.

I'm still watching (just got so pissed and had to say something to someone) but I almost think it was a case of wanting to calm down the drama in the room.