Need your Help Choosing Between 2 Greek Cruises for 2019

SLOTheta

Hello!

I went on my first cruise 2 years ago for a wedding. It was an incredible Mediterranean cruise. We had so much fun with our group of 50, we wanted to replicate the experience for my 40th birthday.

Holland America has 2 Greek cruises that fit during our summer 2019 window.

I’m leaning towards the Koningsdam itinerary since it’s a newer ship and it has 2 sea days.

I would appreciate your expert cruiser advice!

1) 12 Day Ancient Empires

Koningsdam

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E9M12E&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=K939&selectedMeta=Verandah&shipId=KO

1a4c8c71569aba2747440e338b7c946f.jpg

2) 12 Day Greek Odyssey

Veendam

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E9M12G&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=E937&selectedMeta=Vista%20Suite&shipId=VE

e5431e8480a81a55695d9bdf2639c84f.jpg

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello!

I went on my first cruise 2 years ago for a wedding. It was an incredible Mediterranean cruise. We had so much fun with our group of 50, we wanted to replicate the experience for my 40th birthday.

Holland America has 2 Greek cruises that fit during our summer 2019 window.

I’m leaning towards the Koningsdam itinerary since it’s a newer ship and it has 2 sea days.

I would appreciate your expert cruiser advice!

1) 12 Day Ancient Empires

Koningsdam

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E9M12E&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=K939&selectedMeta=Verandah&shipId=KO

1a4c8c71569aba2747440e338b7c946f.jpg

2) 12 Day Greek Odyssey

Veendam

https://www.hollandamerica.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E9M12G&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=E937&selectedMeta=Vista%20Suite&shipId=VE

e5431e8480a81a55695d9bdf2639c84f.jpg

Thank you!!

I would personally prefer the Veendam sailing because of the places visited.

We have been to Greece on a prior trip but are going on the 12 day Greek Odyssey this year. We chose this cruise for the number of ports we have not been to but also for Rome and Venice. We love Italy and will spend time in both of these cities before and after the cruise. I also liked the addition of Kotor, Montenegro even though we really like Dubrovnik, Croatia. I'll post a full review of out trip on CC and we will be aboard the Oosterdam.

I would personally prefer the Veendam sailing because of the places visited.

Thank you! Which cities are your favorites on the Veedam sailing? Have you been to the Greek locations? We did the Mediterranean Tapestry Cruise and hit Venice, Rome, Kotor and Corfu.

Given the ports you've already been to, I would recommend the first cruise, on the Koningsdam. The Veendam itinerary repeats several ports you've already visited.

Actually, I would prefer it anyway because I feel the ports have a good mix of history (Athens, Rhodes, Katakolon) and nice Greek island scenery (Mykonos, Santorini).

We have been to Greece on a prior trip but are going on the 12 day Greek Odyssey this year. We chose this cruise for the number of ports we have not been to but also for Rome and Venice. We love Italy and will spend time in both of these cities before and after the cruise. I also liked the addition of Kotor, Montenegro even though we really like Dubrovnik, Croatia. I'll post a full review of out trip on CC and we will be aboard the Oosterdam.

I’ll forward to your review of the Greek islands portion. We loved Rome, Venice and Kotor. Even though we only had a few hours in Kotor, It’s worth the trek up the mountain. The views were Amazing.

I would pick the second one for very selfish and personal reasons mainly because it goes to Agrostoli which was one of our most favorite stops for very unexpected reasons. We knew nothing about it ahead of time, had to work to find things to do on our own since none of the shore excursions looked interesting and then found what we did was so good we would love to do it again.

We took the haunting countryside walk from the dock around the end of the peninsula to the historic water wheels and lighthouse and then on to Oscar's restaurant for the best food we had during our entire time in Greece. Then back to the ship by the route that led to the lonely Italian war memorial for the event that was captured in the movie Captain Corelli's Mandolin, which we watched again with new understandings on our return home. http://www.oskars.gr/about-kefalonia.htm

Add return trips to both Naples and Venice and this is the one that works for me. In Naples (one of my own favorite cities in Italy), think about the short ferry ride from the cruise terminal to the very small island of Procida - the Lemon Island - again for some beautiful village scenes, great restaurants and home of limoncello. The one small port scene was also featured in a movie - The Talented Mr Ripley - achingly beautiful harbor scenes shot there. Not over-run with tourists - mainly Italian day-trippers. https://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/campania/procida

So not exactly ancient history here, but important 20th Century history and recent movie history too for a new twist.

I love the sound of both itineraries and eagerly await feedback from others. Right now, I am booked on the 10-Day Mediterranean Mosaic in September 2019, so I'd love to hear about some of the ports you're asking about. We cannot do a longer itinerary but hope to fly into Venice and tour around Italy (I hear Cinque Terre is lovely) for a few days before the roundtrip journey from Rome. That's always an option for you if you want to add Venice to the other itinerary.

I would choose the first one with a sail away from Venice and return to Rome and stay before and after the cruise to see all the sights. I have been to Olympia and would definitely skip this for the other destinations.

Given the ports you've already been to, I would recommend the first cruise, on the Koningsdam. The Veendam itinerary repeats several ports you've already visited.

Actually, I would prefer it anyway because I feel the ports have a good mix of history (Athens, Rhodes, Katakolon) and nice Greek island scenery (Mykonos, Santorini).

Thank you. I didn’t realize that #2 repeated so many ports until I responded to the other poster. I’m definitely 90/10 on my choice based on new ports - #1 is ahead thus far.