2019 Alaskan Cruise: Royal or Golden Princess

PandaBear62

I have searched the forums and consensus seems to be that the Coral Princess is the best choice for Alaska.

Unfortunately, that does not work for our schedule. My options are the Royal or Golden Princess for our cruisetour (we are adding the 4 day land tour for our cruise).

Our group is a party of 6 adults. We enjoy shows and a nice place to relax with a drink. We will be booking inside cabins, so will not have our balcony to see the views. We will have 2 days at sea for Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

I would try and book the Sanctuary, for viewing ares, but it sounds like it will be booked by the time we will board.

I would appreciate guidance in choosing which ship to choose.

Thanks.

We're on the Royal for Sept. '19 and always enjoy Royal or Regal. We always book the Deluxe Obstructed Balcony most forward, obstruction is metal instead of plexi glass and the balcony is about 3x the size of a regular balcony, just saying IMO.

I would try and book the Sanctuary, for viewing ares, but it sounds like it will be booked by the time we will board.

In my experience, very few people book the Sanctuary in Alaska. The place always looks deserted.

I would do the Golden Princess. The Promenade deck is great for viewing plus there is more deck space for viewing.

I would never use the sanctuary in Alaska. Worst place for viewing - you will want to move around. The sanctuary is usually deserted or newbies who don't know better. Avoid this area.

Consider doing the land trip on your own. 4 days is not very long.

Suggest you try: 1) the full viewing area over the crew bridge which is accessed by forward elevator or staircase to level above the Lido deck and going outside and the walking all the way forward on either side of ship. Great views, but not much seating... and cold and windy. 2) Warm up in LIDO deck and view through glass walls on either side. Warmer and close to food and drink. 3) The outside promenade on deck 7. Easy access to warmth and refreshments and can walk around to view other side if/as desired. 4) Golden still has original Skywalker's Lounge at rear, way up, deck that is accessed by rear elevators and moving walkway/escalator into the lounge. Great views, nice seating, warm, and with a full bar/snacks.

Also the Golden features a fully covered solarium pool that enables comfortable/warm swimming and hot tubs (very handy given the cold and damp weather you will encounter. I don't think Island/Coral have comparable covered pool.

P.S. The glacier viewing days are long, COLD outside due to proximity of glaciers and icebergs, and you need to pace your viewing to the printed guide which will outline the periods of imporartant viewing, whale spotting, and NPS/naturalist talks (which are usually given over PA in viewing areas).

Also the Golden features a fully covered solarium pool that enables comfortable/warm swimming and hot tubs (very handy given the cold and damp weather you will encounter. I don't think Island/Coral have comparable covered pool.

Yes the Coral and Island have a wonderful covered pool. The Coral is the ideal large ship.

Another good point - the Golden has an indoor covered pool which even if you don't swim, it is a nice warm area to be in.

Suggest you try: 1) the full viewing area over the crew bridge which is accessed by forward elevator or staircase to level above the Lido deck and going outside and the walking all the way forward on either side of ship. Great views, but not much seating... and cold and windy. 2) Warm up in LIDO deck and view through glass walls on either side. Warmer and close to food and drink. 3) The outside promenade on deck 7. Easy access to warmth and refreshments and can walk around to view other side if/as desired. 4) Golden still has original Skywalker's Lounge at rear, way up, deck that is accessed by rear elevators and moving walkway/escalator into the lounge. Great views, nice seating, warm, and with a full bar/snacks.

P.S. The glacier viewing days are long, COLD outside due to proximity of glaciers and icebergs, and you need to pace your viewing to the printed guide which will outline the periods of imporartant viewing, whale spotting, and NPS/naturalist talks (which are usually given over PA in viewing areas).

Thank you. Great stuff. On the Golden in late May.