Transport issues in France

Little Monty

Well, darn. I have a feeling our upcoming cruise will have to skip its French port. It’s apparently a fairly common occurrence. [emoji53]

Now if they can just hold it together in Barcelona ...

Well, darn. I have a feeling our upcoming cruise will have to skip its French port. It’s apparently a fairly common occurrence. [emoji53]

Now if they can just hold it together in Barcelona ...

Not sure how the train strike would affect the cruise stopping in LeHavre? I believe the included excursion is by bus to Paris. Headed to Normandy myself.

FYI, my nieces gave me the nickname. See you in Barcelona!

Thank you so much for the heads up. I had no idea about the strikes. There's actually a rail strike planned on the day we dock in Le Havre on the Sky. This makes me glad that we decided beforehand to forego the included 10.5 hour tour to Paris on that day!!! That bus ride might not be getting back til midnight. :eek: Thank goodness there are so many other options in that lovely part of France..we'll go for Plan B and with any luck we'll get ourselves to Ruen for a nice day of sightseeing. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43617033

Thank you so much for the heads up. I had no idea about the strikes. There's actually a rail strike planned on the day we dock in Le Havre on the Sky. This makes me glad that we decided beforehand to forego the included 10.5 hour tour to Paris on that day!!! That bus ride might not be getting back til midnight. :eek: Thank goodness there are so many other options in that lovely part of France..we'll go for Plan B and with any luck we'll get ourselves to Ruen for a nice day of sightseeing. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43617033

We’re on the tour to Monet’s gardens and Rouen ... if they don’t commandeer the buses to handle all the stalled rail traffic. Can’t imagine trying to go to Paris.

We’re on the tour to Monet’s gardens and Rouen ... if they don’t commandeer the buses to handle all the stalled rail traffic. Can’t imagine trying to go to Paris.

Exactly! We're on the same page here. I looked at the port schedule and we're the only ship in port that day in Le Havre so at least we will not have competition from other cruise lines. At this point Viking knows who is going on what excursions and all the tour buses have long been reserved for the day so I do not believe there will be any comandeering from anyone. They're used to this kind of thing in Europe anyway and know how to work around it. :)

When traveling in Europe over the years, we have experienced Airline, Air Traffic Controller, Bus, and train strikes in Europe. It’s kind of crazy how often it happens. It’s also Darned inconvenient at times and has certainly impacted trips. But nothing to be done about it. The good news is Le Havre is a lovely port town to spend time in, and the route to Rouen is probably not going to be impacted as much as Paris might be. Hopefully they will settle it quickly, as often happens!