New Cancellation Policy

Royal Caribbean International is tightening its cruise cancellation policy, making passengers more on the hook for a larger portion of the fare if they decide not to go before sailing.

The policy has multiple changes. Chief among them: the cancellation window during which you would only lose a deposit is gone.

Canceled cruises of one to four nights (including holiday sailings) will be charged 50 percent of the total cruise fare if canceled 74 to 61 days out. Previously, these short cruises could be canceled 74 to 43 days out with just the deposit lost, and 42 to 29 days out with 50 percent of the fare lost. Under the new policy, cruises of four nights or less canceled 60 to 31 days out will be charged 75 percent of the total fare (previously 28 to 15 days out) and 100 percent of the fare will be sacrificed if the cruise is canceled 30 days or less before sailing (previously 14 days or less).

For longer cruises (five nights or more), the new policy is as follows: cruises canceled 89 to 75 days before sailing will be charged 25 percent of the total fare; those canceled 74 to 61 days out will be charged 50 percent (previously 56 to 29 days out); cruise canceled 60 to 31 days out will be charged 75 percent of the cruise fare (previously 28 to 15 days out); and all cruises of five nights or longer canceled 30 days or less before sailing will be charged the full fare (previously 14 days or less out). The previous policy had no 25 percent level, but cruises canceled 89 to 57 days out only lost the deposit.

The new cancellation policy goes into effect on all bookings made on or after April 8, 2018.

According to an article on another blog site policy was changed as a way of encouraging cruisers to finalize their bookings earlier.

Edited by North of 60
Remove reference to ******************.com

So, this is both good and bad.

If my wife and I go on a 7 day cruise, paying $1520 for an oceanview cabin in September (I looked this up), we would lose 25% of our fare if we cancelled at say 83 days out. That would be $380.

The deposit is $500. Under the old system, I would have lost my deposit of $500.

It gets bad if we cancel 74 or less days out - then we would lose 50% of the fare, or $760, whereas previously we would have lost the deposit of $500.

Hmmm

So, this is both good and bad.

If my wife and I go on a 7 day cruise, paying $1520 for an oceanview cabin in September (I looked this up), we would lose 25% of our fare if we cancelled at say 83 days out. That would be $380.

The deposit is $500. Under the old system, I would have lost my deposit of $500.

Hmmm

Where it gets you is if you have a non-refundable deposit as well. Then at your 83 day example, would you lose both $500 NRD (deposit) and your $380 ?

It’s not clear what is the use of the deposit now with the new cancellation policy.

So many threads on changes to the loyalty programs, the move toward tighter cancellation, stricter and more demanding deposit rules, reduction and cost containment in the food offerings, uncaring and unhappy employees. It looks like Royal Caribbean is following the same path as US airlines, and one of these days RCI will resemble United Airlines. Yikes! Hope I'm wrong, but I suspect not...

Where it gets you is if you have a non-refundable deposit as well. Then at your 83 day example, would you lose both $500 NRD (deposit) and your $380 ?

It’s not clear what is the use of the deposit now with the new cancellation policy.

That's a good question. However if you are cancelling inside final payment period, you no longer have a "deposit" but you've paid the entire amount. I'm no lawyer, but seems that if the cancellation policy says you lose a percentage, then you lose that percent. The deposit has been rolled into the entire cost so it's part of the whole so I'd expect you'd only lose the percentage. But I haven't read the "fine print," and it's Royal Caribbean, who knows? ;)

The only time you get the deposit back now is if you book a refundable fare and cancel before final payment.

The only time you get the deposit back now is if you book a refundable fare and cancel before final payment.

I think in the long run this will be better for consumers especially the consumers booking a cruise for the first time. Where they would have to learn how to play the “game” book then keep watching for price drops and canceling and rebooking to save $$$ all these changes allow the cruise line to most likely keep prices stable and around the same range except for “last minute” bookings.

I’m a veteran cruiser and I hate the “game” would rather pay for something and be done with it. Maybe that’s the millennial in me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums