Ocho Rios Safety with Toddler

KatRangoon

I posed this question in the Jamaica section, but I'm not sure how many cruise ships/people go to Ocho Rios since I've only got one reply, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to put this here too since we'll be using the Seaside and all the Seaside peeps go there for sure.

I was wondering if it was safe for me to take my 2 year old off the boat in Ocho Rios and walk up Turtle Beach Road and Main Street as it looks from google maps that there is shopping and even a Turtle River Park that could pass the time while the rest of the family is on a shore excursion too adventurous for the little one. If the whole area isn't safe, is there anything to do near the pier that would be safe without venturing too far in? Or should I just stay on the boat? I really like exploring, but as most parents know, what I might find acceptable safety-wise if I was with another adult, is vastly different than if I'm by myself with my kid.

I posed this question in the Jamaica section, but I'm not sure how many cruise ships/people go to Ocho Rios since I've only got one reply, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to put this here too since we'll be using the Seaside and all the Seaside peeps go there for sure.

I was wondering if it was safe for me to take my 2 year old off the boat in Ocho Rios and walk up Turtle Beach Road and Main Street as it looks from google maps that there is shopping and even a Turtle River Park that could pass the time while the rest of the family is on a shore excursion too adventurous for the little one. If the whole area isn't safe, is there anything to do near the pier that would be safe without venturing too far in? Or should I just stay on the boat? I really like exploring, but as most parents know, what I might find acceptable safety-wise if I was with another adult, is vastly different than if I'm by myself with my kid.

I would not walk even with my husband . Take a cab in port or even better stay on board and enjoy empty ship. Who is gonna watch your belongings on beach?

I would not walk even with my husband . Take a cab in port or even better stay on board and enjoy empty ship. Who is gonna watch your belongings on beach?

There isn't really much to do on the ship other than play in the toddler room and snack when it will just be us, which is why I thought a nice walk along the main street or park would be a good stretch of the legs. I wasn't planning on going to the beach, and we can't take a cab anywhere because we aren't bringing the car seat.

Once you leave the port area you will be swarmed and followed by people who want to sell you something or take you somewhere.

They do not understand "No, thank you" and will persist.

It does not make for pleasant walking.

The conditions of the sidewalks, if any, will be uneven or broken.

Between the distractions of a toddler, uneven walking conditions, and the persistence of those following you, you will be an easy target for purse snatching or other robbery.

I would not take a toddler anywhere in Jamaica unless it was on a well organized ship's tour.

there is a small shopping (tent type setup) area where the buses and taxis drop you off in front of the entry gates....additionally if you walk a little further down...there is a shopping area which leads into Margaritaville. This is a safe area and we found no one pressuring us....we actually got the most pressure from the tent setup vendors before entering the Margaritaville entrance shopping area. I wouldn't go down town

I have always maintained that when in port, one should always get off the ship to experience different cultures...with one exception: Ocho Rios. Don't do it, especially with a toddler. You will be "offered the opportunity to purchase" (read: BUY ME! BUY ME!) an assortment of wares. DW and I ended up just walking down the middle of the street to avoid this. Just say, "no mon".

Thanks everyone, I've got a better feel of the port now, and yeah, I think it would be best if I didn't try and walk to the park. We might just have to settle with a walk around the pier and maybe a mother daughter lunch at Margaritaville (she loves their sweet potato fries!).

There is a beach in front of Margaritaville. However, when my husband and I were there, a steam came through the complex and flowed into the ocean at the beach.

We noticed how filthy the stream water was (trash and what looked suspiciously like feces and toilet paper) and agreed we would never swim at that beach.

Please consider this if you think about wading with your toddler.

There is a beach in front of Margaritaville. However, when my husband and I were there, a steam came through the complex and flowed into the ocean at the beach.

We noticed how filthy the stream water was (trash and what looked suspiciously like feces and toilet paper) and agreed we would never swim at that beach.

Please consider this if you think about wading with your toddler.

We just used the pool at Margaritaville....although the beach was packed last week

Been to Ocho Rios January Seaside cruise. Jamaica is a nice place. Don't understand all these negative comments. Always had great time talking to people in Jamaica. You can walk to Turtle beach... yes, when you get out people offer their help, wares.... Turtle beach is big, nice and secure and you can rent chairs. When we left port a guy offered to show us the way... turns out he was a beach guard... he helped with beach chairs... We gave him 10 usd and left our stuff at the beach and took a taxi to blue hole... nothing was touched... the guy protected our stuff with his life :-) beach is extra nice at turtle beach, water is clean, calm and not deep with great views of seaside. we were 6 adults and 5 kids (1 year old, 3 year old, 2x 5 year olds and 1 six year old) great time. yes, people approach you for "drugs stuff"/pot/whatever... you just have to say no and they move on. some visitors really enjoy this stuff... not for us... driving to blue hole is great... stopped a few places including a great jerk chicken restaurant... did not have any issues... the taxi lady was extra nice... she knew everyone and negotiated all deals for us. btw, don't get a taxi from port it is more expensive. we got our taxi at the beach and it was much cheaper...

Here is the route we took to Bay Beach. The first yellow box is a security gate everyone goes through. The second is the marina entrance where you pay I believe $3 per person to get a wristband to use the beach. The path from where you pay to the beach is a little treacherous.. not suitable for a stroller. I carried our 3 year old and once at the beach felt safe and had a good time. Your ship will always be in view which is nice and the YC Maitre D was one of the only other people we saw there.

All of that said I probably recommend heading to Margaritaville as others have mentioned or simply stop at the shops inside the security gate. Those will be more stroller friendly, but I wanted to show an alternative.

open?id=1zuBPTSOzMCVzjyT-JHD7e0DlD4OVEGAH

My family and I were just there.

We had a private tour booked. The driver took us through what looked like pretty socially/economically depressed areas and I straight up asked him how safe the area was and would someone that looked like me (white as the day is long) be okay walking down the street. He basically said that in the area around the port there is a basic understanding among the locals that tourists are not to be messed with as we are the main income source for them. That's not to say they aren't going to try to sell you crap but as far as safety is concerned I never felt worried. Just my $.02.

Edited by fish_guru
formatting

Once you leave the port area you will be swarmed and followed by people who want to sell you something or take you somewhere.

They do not understand "No, thank you" and will persist.

It does not make for pleasant walking.

The conditions of the sidewalks, if any, will be uneven or broken.

Between the distractions of a toddler, uneven walking conditions, and the persistence of those following you, you will be an easy target for purse snatching or other robbery.

I would not take a toddler anywhere in Jamaica unless it was on a well organized ship's tour.

I would not travel back to Jamaica for any reason. Dirty.