Booking through a Travel Agent, or Not.......

rexy69

I've always just researched and booked our own cruises & flights, but I periodically read on these boards how people get extra perks (OBC, Upgrades, etc...) by booking through a Travel Agent.

So, I called our local TA and inquired. Turns out there are no perks to be had at this time.

Is this just a hit & miss kind of deal?

I know there are different variations of cabins to be booked, but it almost seems like my research produced a better price & cabin than hers did.......?

Should I try cold-calling different TA's? Will some TA's have different results/offers than others?

I've always just researched and booked our own cruises & flights, but I periodically read on these boards how people get extra perks (OBC, Upgrades, etc...) by booking through a Travel Agent.

So, I called our local TA and inquired. Turns out there are no perks to be had at this time.

I know there are different variations of cabins to be booked, but it almost seems like my research produced a better price & cabin than hers did.......?

Should I try cold-calling different TA's? Will some TA's have different results/offers than others?

As to perks being hit or miss, if you're talking about cruise line perks then yes that is true but they do tend to advertise their sales and specials. If you're talking about TA perks, then it's probably more up to the TA and their relationship with you as to the perks they give. TA's are not supposed to advertise cruise rates lower than the cruise line's but they can effectively lower your rate by giving up a bit of their commission to you. Also, sometimes TA's are part of a consortium which can offer perks.

I would look for another TA if you are truly able to find better rates on your own than what the TA is offering.

I have found they are able to find when the prices change and gain me extra on board credit I did not have originally. For example one got us $150 on board credit we didn't have. I know there are ways to keep track of that yourself but I can't keep my daily schedule straight let alone keep up with changes and make phone calls to gain the credits. I find it helpful and no added stress on my part having them.

Basically my TA gives me an extra $50 everytime I cruise for loyalty and if I book during one of their sales I get an extra $100 as a loyalty member in addition to what Carnival or myTA is offering the general public. The sales last a week and sometimes there are extra perks like free gratuities or a dinner in the steakhouse. If agents are working out of their house VS a large agency perks will vary greatly. My TA knows what I like, where I like my cabin, my dinner time etc. We can do a 3 way call to Carnival or any other cruise line if necessary and sometimes the agency buys a block of cabins and can discount them. You will not see these prices online because Carnival years back made it so every online price must be the same but.............If you call...... a TA can offer other things. My agent works in the office of a large agency where the entire sales force works. You can't take a weekend course and pay money to be one of their agents. The last 2 cruises I have had a credit balance and had a check mailed to me after the cruise.

Many online TA’s offer perks like drink coupons, bottles of wine, OBC, prepaid gratuities etc. I usually find the one online that has the best perks and book with them. Same price as Carnival or any other TA, just extra perks added. :) I do lots of research and make sure they’re highly recommended and don’t have any hidden fees for cancellling or changing anything. But a lot of TA’s only pass on the perks Carnival is currently offering and don’t offer any perks through their agency. Sounds like that’s the type of TA you have.

I assume you are booking directly with internet agencies vs going direct through the cruise lines?? If so, I do the same thing. Been booking exclusively online through internet agencies since 2000. Always cheaper than cruise line because you get more OBC.

In the rare occurence I have a question.....These agencies respond to me usually same day as I send email. I have yet to speak to an agent....LOL I have no interest or need for a TA since I know the booking process and in/out of cruising. I'm sure others may be more needy or would prefer an agent to address their questions....if so, a TA maybe worthwhile...but no price savings.

I did a blog about this.....TA's do get advance notice of things, TA's can help you avoid $50 change fees, TA's can help you with price drops instead of you having to waste time with it...TA's usually know secrets about certain cabins too.

There are quite a few reasons even without the perks

i like booking directly with the cruise line. if there is any problems/questions, i can always call carnival 24/7. if i booked with a travel agent, you have to talk to them during whatever business hours they have

We book thru a jewel of a TA we've used for years. We choose the cabin we want very carefully so we have no desire to move with an upsell thus her having to be the one to contact CCL for changes is no problem. For long cruises we buy independent insurance and she always assists with a policy with good coverage for an excellent price. She works with a large company so if she's out of town we always have someone we can contact at the company.

Her price is as good as on the CCL site. TA's make a commission for booking and it's not uncommon for her to gift us obc of $50 or a nice bottle of wine.

Although all communication about the actual cabin booking itself goes through her - we have total control of booking excursions, making dining reservations and buying things from the Fun Shops.

We had to cancel for medical reasons in December 4 days before sailing. I shot her an email and she handled everything from canceling the booking, contacting the insurance company to open a claim, sent me the forms I had to fill out, re-sending to me the docs I needed to attach to the claim. It was a great relief.

PVP vs TA

I'm torn on this one. I've had a P***Poor TA, I've had one who never advised me of the best rate, one who has definitely worked out some kinks for me and who has booked several cruises with great success and a little OBC to boot.

OTOH, I'm quite capable of booking my own, and I do like having complete control over my bookings. After my fiasco with the PP TA (never sent in the upgrade I paid for and got us our cruise documents at the last possible minute), I found a local agent, but there was no OBC and I found I could have booked at a significantly lower rate. After that I started booking directly with a PVP. He's booked my Carnival cruises for a number of years and he gets my referrals for family and friends looking to cruise Carnival. Irealize it's his job and I could book directly online, but I'm comfortable having a person I can go to for advice. Like others, I've usually done most of the research before I ever contact a TA or PVP.

Finally, I now have a contract employee for one of the big online agencies. She's done excellent work for me when cruising other lines where I don't have a good contact person.She's restored my faith in TAs and I wouldn't hesitate to use her again. My problem is that I've only dealt with two big online TAs so I have no point of reference whether I'm getting the best deal. I guess next time I'll have to shop several agencies.

Jim

I use online agents specifically for the OBC and have been doing so for 10 years usually saving close to 7-8% of the price. I don't need my hand held, when I call I already know everything from rate down to the cabin number sometimes.

Thanks for everyone's responses. It sounds like doing my own research and booking directly through the cruise line is not a bad thing. I enjoy spending hours at a time, searching for the perfect cruise. I should've been a TA, lol. So, if there really isn't a discount or that much of a difference by calling a TA, then I guess I'm doing it right and no need to change. I've never had a problem with calling Carnival directly and I've never paid more than any of the other prices I find through my research. Happy Cruising everyone! Can't wait for the next one :)