Girdwood or Anchorage

joannapvb

We leave ship Sept 6th, 11 of us, and do not fly out of Anchorage until 9 pm on the 7th. We could stay at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood night of 6th or go into Anchorage - would need transportation, 2 vans, once we decide where to go - I cannot change my flights but wish now I was flying out the 6th - seems like alot of extra money for that one night and not sure what to do!! Help!!

We haven't stayed at Girdwood,but Radisson Seven Seas uses it for the overnight prior to the cruise when you are on their land tour. That makes me assume it's worthwhile for the one night as RSSC tends to use the better places. As you will probably be off the ship in the early AM, whether you stay in Anchorage or Girdwood,you have a a full day. Anchorage is also worth a day as you can hit the museum and some other tourist spots as well as a good restaurant. Anchorage will probably be a lot less expensive,especially that late in the season,if you use Priceline or some similar site. Anchorage is also several hours closer to the airport.

We stayed at the Alyeska Prince for the last night of our land tour before boarding the Summit. While it is a beautiful hotel, I would not stay there again - especially on my own dime. It is very isolated and not worth the extra money.

My suggestion would be to take your extra time in Anchorage. There is much more to see and do.

I stayed at Alyeska during the land portion of my trip and I absolutely loved it. Yes, it's isolated, but isn't that a part of being in Alaska? They have great trails behind the hotel to hike and other activities if that interests you.

My opinion only, Girdwood is OK with your own transportation. I wouldn't be there on a tour etc. But Anchorage has way more to offer. I suggest you firm up one way Whittier /Anchorage rental cars with Avis, expect hefty drop fees. But this makes the best use of your short time. Since you are flying out late the next night, I suggest you head to Seward and consider the top attraction- a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Seward has plenty to keep a group occupied. With an overnight, you have plenty of time to head back to Anchroage early afternoon from Seward and make a 9pm flight. Take advantage of your limited time. :)

Here are some Kenai Fjords photos to convince you. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Archived