Anchorage pre-cruise

pookeycat

We are flying into Anchorage 3 days prior to sailling (Wednesday). We have already considered the Denali trip, but are figuring that we would not have enough time to give it the attention that we would want.

We are trying to figure out what we want to do for those 2 1/2 days. At this point we are scheduled to take the train from Anchorage to Seward on Saturday (day the ship sails) but are tossing around the idea of changing the train to the day before and then spending Saturday puttering around Seward before boarding the ship.

Are there any Helicopter tours around the anchorage area? I did some looking but keep coming up empty.

We are also considering a rafting trip. DF's friend went up there last summer to visit his mom and then went white water rafting and we have been told this was an awesome afternoon.

At this point we are not sure if we are renting a car or if the friends we are staying with are going to shuttle us around (I am leaning toward the renting a car).

We already have a list of restaurants that have been recommended from various sources.

Just looking for ideas of what we should look into as far as adventures.

At this point we are already booked with Captain Larry during the cruise but that is it.

Helicopter tours are out of Seward and Girdwood. Alpine Air and Godwin's. But I do suggest you get to Seward a day early as there is plenty to see and do with the top pick a Kenai Fjords boat tour- can be done same day as cruise if short on time.

Otherwise I would head north and overnight in Talkeetna, take a flightseeing and make many stops along the way, detour to Hatcher Pass, Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit House tour, and tour Anchorage.

Archived