Switching Rooms -- Teenagers

CTMak

I know this topic comes up from time to time, but we are sailing on the Fantasy next week and I have a question.

DW and I are taking my daughter and her best friend who are both 18. I booked with my daughter; DW with her friend -- and we plan to switch rooms.

Because of the key/photo ID sail & sign card we need to tell Carnival and "officially" switch -- which I read on here is not a problem.

But do we do that at check-in or after we board the ship at the purser's desk? I've heard both and I'm a bit unclear.

Thanks!

CTMak

IM not sure, but we are doing the same thing in Feb. my husband and I booked with his parents, but he and I are "heads" of the 2 rooms (did this to get a GREAT past guest discount!!!!!) So, We will have to switch one person around. Hope to see some responses!

Miranda

We have done this a number of times on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We book one adult in each room with one of our teen boys. When we board we ask for an extra room only key without charging capability for each room. They have never given us a problem when we requested them. You have to carry an extra key around but it workes out well.

Lou

My family just did this same thing on the Legend. After we got our sign and sail cards, we went to the Pursers desk and switched the room numbers on the sign and sail card and I also requested an "extra key" to my kids rooms. No problem at all.

We did this in 03. Ours sons were 15 and 16 and our cabins were side by side. We just traded S and S cards with the kids then we all had the right cards. Had a great room steward who knew what we did and he really took care of the boys. We rewarded him greatly for this also.

I know Carnival frowns on this but it is done on every cruise I bet. Seen no harm in it.

We just came back from the Miracle 2 weeks ago with the same thing. We physically switched rooms but the paperwork (billing, sign and sail card) had to stay the same as booking. They really frowned when I told them what we were told about switching rooms and that it was suppose to be fine. So after they informed us that it has to stay that way on paper and we are indeed responsible for our adult children of 20 and 23, we got an extra room key for each room and switched rooms. Just a tidbit warning that you may have to carry 2 cards and always say you are in the booking room when indeed you are in the other room. On the Miracle we could not switch sail and sign cards because it had encoded all our personal ID such as birthdate and picture. This is the card you use to get on and off the ship and if you notice when you get on the ship they take a picture of you (besides the professional photographer) and this gets encoded onto your card. Some people did switch cards and were turned away when it was slid into their computer to get on and off since the picture obviously did not match. You won't see the picture on the card but the guy who stands there at the computer when you get on or off sees it.

When I talked to the nicest rep. at Carnival this is what she told me to do when I asked. We'll be doing this when 4 of us moms and our 4 daughters will be taking a Spring break cruise. I hope the folks at the pursor's desk are as friendly and accomodating as she was! :)

We have done this a number of times on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We book one adult in each room with one of our teen boys. When we board we ask for an extra room only key without charging capability for each room. They have never given us a problem when we requested them. You have to carry an extra key around but it workes out well.

Lou

The rules about booking minors in rooms seems to vary..We booked two rooms, one for us and one for our two children, 21 & 19. We booked directly through a Carnival PVP. From reading similar posts, I thought we would have to book one of us with DD and one with DS, as I didn't think the 21 yr old would count as being responsible for the 19 yr old. She said as long as one was 21 and we were booked "next door", it was fine. However, lucky us (parents) were upgraded and moved 20 or so cabins further away from them...I guess the people who got our original cabin are responsible for them now....cool! We leave on the Victory in 9 days :D

We will be on the Conquest in Feb. We got the military discount, and were able to book an extra cabin for our 15 yo DS's. Us two couples have cabins to ourselves, but the boys will be in an adjoining one. It had to be adjoining to book "young'ns" We are thrilled! Cya

Archived