Star Class Review Oasis 4/1-4/8 The Excellent, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

As my title says we sailed in Room 1718 Star Loft over Easter which puts us in Star Class. I have sailed Oasis class ships several times, (Can't access my cruise history on the website so I cannot tell you the exact number;p) We normally sail in Sky Class, GS, RFS or CL so I am used to the exceptional service that this provides and was a little cynical if a Star Class sailing would exceed my expectations.

There are no many talented writers and reviewers on here it can be a little intimidating to right a decent review, but I will try. There have not been a lot of Star Class reviews recently. I scoured the boards and saw a lot when the program started but they have trailed off. I have read lots of Genie requests and wishes granted so I as interested if they were still being granted or had "policy" changes.

On this sailing it was my husband and myself. We are somewhat active in our 50's. Kids are off to college and could not make it home for Easter so we decided to spend this time on the ship. We booked in February and within 2 days I received welcome letter and a survey to fill out. A couple of weeks later we received an email from our Genie Smitha (pronounced Smeeta).

I informed her of our Anniversary Celebration and had a few requests, such as lunch delivered on embarkation day, and an engine room tour. She said that she would check on the tour, but lunch could not be delivered until the restaurants opened the first day. She came up with a preliminary meal and entertainment schedule for us. We had a few changes. She did have Hibachi at 7pm. They must save this time for on board bookings because it was not available on the website.

Closer to sailing she gave me specific instructions for checking in including printing out a sheet of paper that said STAR CLASS on it. We also received an email for LOOP app. It was basically a link that provided a communication tool. In theory it sounds good, but she did not receive messages unless she was at a computer so we had to call her if needed something resolved quickly from any phone.

We left Atlanta Saturday morning to drive to Orlando. It was Spring Break for the majority of school systems and I think everyone was heading South 75. It took us close to 8 hours for a normal 6 hour drive. We met a lot of people from Atlanta area and we all said the same thing. We were not looking forward to the drive home. It was going to be a nightmare.

Day 1

Boarding-Excellent

We arrived at the Port and parked in the garage so we could get on the road to the dreadful ride back on Sunday. Normally we park on the right hand side of the garage since you can only go left when entering. This time we circled back around and parked on the opposite side. There is no longer a prepaid option and you have to pay as you go in. We took the elevators down 1 level and came right out to the STAR CLASS Banner. We did not have to fight our way through the crowds of people coming and going or the porters. There was a stand there with three cheerful employees who checked out paperwork and adjusted the banner so we could get a photo op. She directed a porter to load our luggage and we all went to security including our carry ons. We were told the bags would be in the room when we got there. I did have to take off my shows as they were suede and had small rhinestones on them. That slowed us down a bit.:) We then went to the counter to check in and then they walked us over to the sitting area. Unlike Port Everglades, there is no separate area for Star/Suites/Diamond Plus. We were all in a nice area with comfy furniture with beverages and snacks.

Soon later Smitha found us in the area and we started to go over the Star Class Package and Schedule. Within about 5 minutes they came over and said they were getting ready to start boarding. Smitha wanted us to board right away so we would not get caught in the rush. On the way I had asked to see one of the Aquatheater Suites on Deck 8 since we are sailing in this room in September. We detoured to look at the room and then off to our Suite. We had some canapes and fruit as well as a nice bottle of Moet chilling. We finalized our schedule and she said she would catch up with us a little latter. She had 4 rooms. The Genies keep the same rooms during their whole contract and switch up when they come back into a new contract or if someone requests them specifically. She had both the Lofts and 2 Aquatheater Suites on Deck 9 and 10.

Our luggage was there and waiting. This is wonderful! No carrying around wine and medicine. We unpacked and then went to the uncrowded fitness center.

We took it down the elevator with no wait. We arrived around 10:15 and there was a huge line waiting to pick up passengers/drop off luggage, so we bypassed that line and parked first. If you drop off your luggage I think because the Star Class Banner is by the door you would more than likely have to navigate around all of that with your luggage.. There was already a line of people waiting to get into the building. It would be hard to manage if only one person would have to handle all of the luggage.

Just remember when going up you can only go left after you pay. Just keep going down the isle, turn left again and follow it around to the other side of the structure near the elevator.

Day 1 - Fitness Center The UGLY

Only because a fitness center can never be excellent or good! I will say a lot of the equipment isn't the best. Lots of the treadmills were unstable and did not have a lot of functionality. It is your basic gym. Not the best equipment. Also, it was very smokey smelly and hot and stuffy. Not too crowded on the first day, but it did get a little more crowded through the week. Originally, fitness classes were included in Star but as a "policy" change, they are not longer offered. One day I had the "great" fortune to listen to some employee giving a health spiel about getting fit and eating right while I was working out. What she was saying made sense, but then there was a hard sell of some products to help you get healthy. My take is you are on vacation who wants to be healthy but there were lots of cruisers hanging on every word, I think I then saw most of them eating pizza afterwards.:')

Day 1 Lunch at Sabor-Excellent-Good

Having Star Class means unlimited Specialty Restaurants including having those delivered with beverages. When not on vacation, I eat very healthy, lean proteins, veggies, fruit and greek yogurt, and nuts. No sugar or carbs. But hey I am on vacation and ignoring what the health coach was trying to convey earlier, I will enjoy myself on a cruise. After working out we decided to go to lunch versus opting for Sabor room service.

Excellent Margaritas. They make them without the sugary mixes and have a pretty decent tequila selection. We did have to pay extra for some of the top shelf sipping tequila as the drink package only covered up to 13.00.

Good Food . The Guacamole was pretty darn good, but I got the chicken sans tortillas and it had a weird flavor. I also got some bacon wrapped jalapenos poppers sans bacon. My husband got the steak quesadilla and corn. Overall we enjoyed the meal.

• Haha 1

Day 1 Dinner at Izumi-Excellent

After my 3 margarita lunch we headed back to the room for sailway and get ready for the evening.

We went to the CL for drinks before dinner. Since today was my Tequila day I had another margarita before dinner at Izumi. The lounge was not crowded and the service was fabulous. They had appetizers set up but we did not eat any of them so I can't comment on them. After some great conversation we went to Izumi for dinner. Once again fabulous service and their specialty drink made with Sake was wonderful. Smitha popped in to say hi and aplogize for missing us early. One of her guests fell and broke their collarbone and she was helping them in medical. She confirmed Cats for us and said she would hold seats for us. The Genies work together with the red reserved signs as well as laminated room number cards in the seats. After Dinner we went back to the room. I had accidentally set my watch wrong and was late for Cats, so I could not go in for the first few minutes. It turned out that one of the cast members was injured during the show and they had to stop the performance. By this time and too many margaritas and sake drinks in, it was time to relax on the balcony.

Thank you for your detailed review. Looking forward to reading more. We sail in August 2018 in the Aqua Theatre Suite. Was the lunch at Sabor on Day 1 free for Star class or everyone? Thanks and I can't wait for you to continue.

Yes. FREE FREE FREE for STAR CLASS only. It opened at 12:30. Chops and Giovanis are open as well. You can not order room service to be delivered from those restaurants until they are opened. I had wanted some Sabor in the room when we arrived but since they were not open, we had to wait until after our workout. Since we waited until after 1pm it was very quiet since most people were in their rooms.

The end of Day 1-Bad

Room 1718 has a fabulous balcony. It has a full size table for 4 with chairs, 2 loungers and 2 club chairs with ottomans. IT is about the size of 6 regular balconies. Perfect place to relax after a long day to listen to the water, look at the moon. Wrong.

Did I mention that it was Spring Break in Georgia as well as Easter Break? We had 2400 kids on board and I think 2,300 of them were playing mini-golf at 11 pm and there is one hole close to the balcony on the Sports Deck that must have been difficult because everyone was screaming . So much for a relaxing evening before bed.

Additionally, from about 10 am through 10 pm there was loud music playing from the Sports Court. It was very difficult to relax on the balcony to read a book or take a nap due to the music.

The Room-Excellent

You cannot go wrong with the room. We have been in Crown Lofts before and this was like a doublewide trailer version. It was huge and spacious and both bathrooms had the full 3 shower head configuration. The normal CL's only have the one upstairs. Plenty of storage and the Loft area is huge. I honestly could have stayed in the room all week. The only downside is the min bar fridge did not keep beverages cold enough. I have to have ice cold water, otherwise it makes me nauseous. I have read about others getting coolers but when I asked, the Genie seemed to act like this was an out of ordinary request. So yet another inconsistency across the fleet. The room Steward brought extra ice buckets, but the ice all melted and I could not use ice for the water especially in the morning. The beer and soda was always lukewarm.

Day 2 Morning-UGLY

When meeting with Smitha, she informed us we could get Starbucks delivered to the room at a specific time. Drinks are complementary but food, packages teas etc are not. We chose 8 am. At 8:10 Room Service comes with 2 carafes of swill (coffee). We asked if this was Starbucks and they said it came from Room Service. I enjoy good strong coffee. Imagine my surprise when the consistency of tea came out. Did I mention some Margaritas and Sake yesterday? Not going well. I go to Starbucks, (the longest walk ever with a hangover) wait in line to get coffee and order 2. You have to show your card so they don't ring you up the same way and it is complementary. Well, since I did not have my husbands card they would not give me the second one for free. At this point, I feel like Will Ferrell in Kicking and Screaming.

. So I pay for one and head back. Smitha did have the charges reversed without me asking since she saw the erroneous charges.

Once I had decent coffee, I was a little more relaxed.

We did get a call from Smitha a little later and she apologizes and says that due to "policy" change they can no longer do take out from Starbucks. This was my top disappointment from the cruise. I noted this on the survey and immediately got a call from corporate regarding my concerns.

Coastal Kitchen-Good

We normally had breakfast in Coastal Kitchen. The serve a few alternative items such as the flatbread chorizo sausage dish and the eggs with pico and avocados. They also have mixed berries that you can request. Even their french toast and eggs Benedict are a little more flavorful. The service is top notch. I would go and get a fresh squeezed Orange juice from the Promenade as well to take since I had to go to Starbucks. The Fresh Squeezed OJ is included in the beverage package.

Suite Sundeck-Not so good

We walked around a bit and went back to the room to plan the day. As usual there are so many activities to choose from it makes it hard to decide. We ended up working out later in the morning and then went to the Suite Sundeck. As I have said we sailed many times and this is one of my favorite perks. Even on Seas Days there are always chairs and loungers available, towels available without checkout and a separate bar and restroom. Not on this sea day. There were not 2 loungers together and no towels, We asked the pool attendant and he said go check them out downstairs. As it turns out, there were several people there that were not suite guests. One teenager brought about 12 of his new friends and they camped out in 2 rows of loungers. No one was checking cards. Also noted on my survey.

Day 2 Lunch at Giovanis-Excellent

We had lunch at Giovannis on Day 2. We ordered a few appetizers/salads instead of a large meal. It was the perfect amount for lunch. The staff really does go out of its way to make sure you are enjoying your time at their restaurant. I knew we were eating there later in the week and wanted to save some things to try.

We had a standing order for room service at 4pm everyday. I asked for a small amount of food. when we got back to the room, there was cheese, fruit, desserts, chocolate covered strawberries and appetizers. It was enough to feed an army. I felt so guilty seeing all of the food when we only needed a small plate, but they want to make sure you want for nothing. There was also a bottle of wine from the hotel director with a note wishing us a good cruise.

Tonight was Formal Night. When we boarded our Room Attendant asked for us any clothes that needed to be pressed. I gave her a few things and she said "Oh No, that is not enough" I then basically gave her everything from my linen shorts to my husbands linen sportcoat to be pressed. Additionally, she took our dirty workout clothes and put them in the daily laundry bag to be cleaned and returned. Let me tell you, I have never been able to get my clothes that crisp and wrinkle free. This service was simply amazing. They also have a dry cleaning service you can utilize.

After getting ready we went to the Suite Lounge for drinks and conversation. It never was too crowded and once again service was excellent. My husband had to walk me past the next cruise person that is set up in the lounge. That is really nice to have a dedicated person there in the evenings. Actually smart on RCCL's part. Get a few drinks in people and they will happily sign up for lots more cruises.

The end of Day 1-Bad

Room 1718 has a fabulous balcony. It has a full size table for 4 with chairs, 2 loungers and 2 club chairs with ottomans. IT is about the size of 6 regular balconies. Perfect place to relax after a long day to listen to the water, look at the moon. Wrong.

Did I mention that it was Spring Break in Georgia as well as Easter Break? We had 2400 kids on board and I think 2,300 of them were playing mini-golf at 11 pm and there is one hole close to the balcony on the Sports Deck that must have been difficult because everyone was screaming . So much for a relaxing evening before bed.

Additionally, from about 10 am through 10 pm there was loud music playing from the Sports Court. It was very difficult to relax on the balcony to read a book or take a nap due to the music.

The Room-Excellent

You cannot go wrong with the room. We have been in Crown Lofts before and this was like a doublewide trailer version. It was huge and spacious and both bathrooms had the full 3 shower head configuration. The normal CL's only have the one upstairs. Plenty of storage and the Loft area is huge. I honestly could have stayed in the room all week. The only downside is the min bar fridge did not keep beverages cold enough. I have to have ice cold water, otherwise it makes me nauseous. I have read about others getting coolers but when I asked, the Genie seemed to act like this was an out of ordinary request. So yet another inconsistency across the fleet. The room Steward brought extra ice buckets, but the ice all melted and I could not use ice for the water especially in the morning. The beer and soda was always lukewarm.

We were on this cruise with you (Sandy and Jeff-the ones way underdressed in the CL the last night, booking their next adventure) and your review is great, love the doublewide comparison to the Crown Loft! Thank you for doing this post!:cool:

Was Marva your Stateroom Attendant?

Excellent info.

Thank you

No we had Carmelita Charollotte. She was going home and being replaced by Marva. We have had her several times before and she never disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Irishgal432...great review so far!

That mess on the suite sun deck...what did corporate say after you noted it in your survey?

They said it is not policy for that to happen and they would notify security and the pool attendant supervisor to make sure that does not go on. They did say it was a very full sailing with high occupancy in the suites. She was very concerned that there were people in a cabana that were not Suite guests. I did tell both my genie and the concierge after the second sea day later in the evening when it was even worse. So they were made aware that it was not being checked but since it was the last day they couldn't do much. Had I been sober (concerned) on the first day I would have mentioned it sooner. Corporate noted that I have 3 more sailings in Star and sky coming up and assured me that is is a suite perk and they would review their policies. Do I think the problem will be corrected. Yes I believe so. I told her at every venue for e.g. In the theater they have staff monitoring the use of the seats.

We were on this cruise with you (Sandy and Jeff-the ones way underdressed in the CL the last night' date=' booking their next adventure) and your review is great, love the doublewide comparison to the Crown Loft! Thank you for doing this post!:cool:[/quote']

So you were the ones lol. If you were like us you probably had trouble fitting in your clothes after a week of great food, deserts and of course alcohol.

So you were the ones lol. If you were like us you probably had trouble fitting in your clothes after a week of great food, deserts and of course alcohol.

So much food, it is actually good to be home! Enjoying a nice 'dry" week as well. lol :halo:

:halo:

No we had Carmelita Charollotte. She was going home and being replaced by Marva. We have had her several times before and she never disappoints.

I agree. We had her on our last 6 Oasis Cruises. She took care of us in #1722 and #1726.

Our daughter, her husband and son are joining us on this cruise. They are in #10730. We will be dining 5 nights in specialty restaurants. Do you remember how long it took for dinner when you dined in any of the specialty restaurants?

Thank you

I agree. We had her on our last 6 Oasis Cruises. She took care of us in #1722 and #1726.

Our daughter, her husband and son are joining us on this cruise. They are in #10730. We will be dining 5 nights in specialty restaurants. Do you remember how long it took for dinner when you dined in any of the specialty restaurants?

Thank you

We were a party of 2 who did not order a lot of appetizers or deserts or coffee most nights. Our dinners were normally at 630 and we were done well ahead of the 8 shows. The hibachi was at 7 and we were out easily for the 9 o'clock comedian show. There was one dinner that we had to wait in a line to get to the Mattre d stand which took a bit, but we were seated immediately and taken care of quickly. I think they did try to sit us in non congested or loud areas. We sat outside at Giovanni's one night and listened to the classical musicians. Also one night after 150 CP we decided to splurge on desert and specialty coffee drinks but wasn't happy with the deserts and walked over to Giovanni's and was seated and the manager brought out desert and the coffee drinks. They really do try to get you in and out quickly without feeling rushed.

Day 2 Dinner Chops-Excellent

My mother used to say."Food always tastes better when someone else cooks it." There are a lot of complaints about food quality on ships these days. Some are true, and I have had some bad meals, but for the most part there is always something else to try. Chops was Chops. Good Food. I think the they are a victim of their own success. They are a nice small venue with a little better food so more and more people are trying them They were pretty busy for lunches and busy for dinner. Service was great. I can't recall what we ate. Smitha popped in to check on us and see how everything was going and say she would see us at the show.

Did I mention today was Rum Day? The bartenders made some wonderful drinks with rum. I know I had a Mojito an some other bartender specials. They were pretty good, hence not remembering what I had for dinner.

One thing that I like to do is to get a photo with the Captain on Formal Night. Either A. I missed it in the Cruise Compass or B. They did not have one. I do not think they had one because in the Cruise Compass there was an advertisement from the Photo Studio to have your picture taken with the Captain. Smitha inquired about it and it was a photo shoot session with packages starting at 500.00. So much for the photo.

Impromptu Concert-Excellent

Earlier in the day we received a message from Smitha saying they were cancelling Cats because of an injury to a cast member , but some of the cast were going to sing broadway tunes. She accidentally sent it to us because we were going to the water show, but it sounded wonderful so we decided to go to this versus Oasis of Dreams. We met her in the front of the theater and she walked us down to the seats she had reserved for us. I have seen some of the shows before but sitting in the front row does give a different perspective of the show. It was enjoyable and the singing was pretty good.

After the show we went to the Casino for a bit and back to the room and listened to the putt putt games on the balcony. I thought golf was supposed to be a gentleman's quiet game. This was no Master's. Then off to bed in our comfy bed. I will say they do have a pillow menu to select from. I like firmer pillows, but these were soft and I forgot to ask Carmellia for different ones. So if you don't like the pillows just ask for different ones.

Day 3 or should I say Labadoozie Day-The Good

We had breakfast in our room after my trek to Starbucks and the Fresh OJ Station from Coastal Kitchen. We still had lots of fruits and pastries left over from the day before we were munching on.

Smitha met us in our room around 9:30 and walked us off the ship to the Golf Cart area so they could take us to the beach area. The process is pretty quick but if you wanted to walk it wasn't that far. She introduced us the the island concierge and we received wrist bands. The Suite Beach is normally very calm. It was busy this trip and we just got some chairs under the shade.

The Bad

We did not have reliable bar service and the bar service wasn't very good. Our attendant never really came by and we had to go to the bar to get drinks. It did take a long time to get them even from the bar. They needed more than one bartender especially if it is a large passenger sailing.

I walked around for about an hour and half climbing some trails. It wasn't too hot, but a lot of humidity. They have an upgraded buffet as well that included steak and shrimp. The water was cool and relaxing. All in all it was a great day.

We came back on board to a wonderful surprise in our room. Smitha had decorated our room for our Anniversary. There were balloons, a sign hanging on the wall and a sign on the door. She also had some wine and a yummy devils food chocolate cake with a fondant icing and other treats. She also had gifts for us. They included a silver picture frame as we were celebrating our 25th and 2 coffee mugs with sayings etched in them from Mother Teresa. She had read our survey because that is where I mentioned our Anniversary as well as wanting to eat dinner with Pope Francis. Now every time I use those mugs, I will think of Smitha and her thoughtfulness.

Dinner-Hibachi -Good

Once again very good. Not the best I had all week but still good. We ordered a sushi appetizer as well. They cook with a lot of butter versus sesame oil like the ones I am used to. Great show and great tablemates and a lot of food. The server remembered what I like to drink and brought me some more of those darn Sake drinks.

Comedy Show-Excellent

Off to the comedy show. Smitha asked where we would like to sit and we chose the second row which she put the red banners and the laminated sheets with our room number. You do have to get there 10 minutes before the show before they let the other stand by people in.

The 2nd comedian was so funny, I had tears in my eyes.

After the comedians we went to the Schooner Bar. The piano player was very good and there was a fun group of people at the piano who were even more entertaining.

Then off to the room to have a late night snack and see who was winning at putt putt. To my surprise there was no putt putt playing people. I kind of missed them;p