How do we wangle a galley tour?

Schplinky

We cruise on Constellation next week and our travelling mates have said that it would be great if they could tour the galley. None of us are in suites, nor are we upper-tier cruisers in the Captain's club, since this will be our first time on Celebrity and we haven't cruised five times with RCL.

Is there someone to whom we can send a note requesting such a tour? Is it impertinent to ask?

You could always leave a note for the Executive Chef at the Purser's Desk, or perhaps ask the Maitre 'd.

Never hurts to ask - and several people have gotten Bridge Tours by leaving notes to the Captain with the Purser.

I've for years tried to get down into the Engine Room - got as far as the Control Room on an HAL ship years ago. Bro-in-law got down into the Engine Room on a Princess ship by buying a drink for one of the engineering officers in a public bar one evening.

Don't waste your time. I have been on galley tours and there has never been anything worth seeing. They take you through between meals when there is almost nothing going on. They typically lead you through and point out a few things and you're done in few minutes. It would be very interesting if they had a visitors gallery where you could stay out of the way and see what goes on when they are actually serving dinner. To see all those people hard at work churning our thousands of dishes in a matter of minutes would be interesting to watch. Going through the galley between meals is really pretty boring.

I enjoyed the food presentation on the Century last December. It was just a cooking demo--no galley tour. But they also had one of the bartenders talk about drinks and passed out samples of a blue martini.

This year, we were on a Holland America ship (Maasdam). They did both a galley tour and a cooking demo. Unlike previous galley tours I've been on, on this one we got to see a few people working their regular jobs in the kitchen. Plus they set up a couple of special stations--one with a guy giving a demo of making the vegetable flowers and another with a guy working with marzapan decorations. The cooking demo was done by one of the Pinnacle Grill chefs. He demo'd making crab cakes and gingerbread cookies. They passed out samples of both.

We managed to get a tour of the galley on a TA cruise in September. We pleaded with the Ass't MaitreD throughout the cruise and he gave our table and several other guests the tour on the last sea day. It was very interesting, perhaps not as interesting if it were held during an actual meal but we did see those yummy breadsticks being made as well as several other early prep activities. Our pictures of the tour came out very well and helped us remember a wonderful cruising experience.

As Elite members of the Captians Club, we have been on the galley tour twice. It was pretty neat the first time and the second was just like the first. We have been invited since and have not gone.

In summary, first time it was great, but like others have said, you go between lunch and dinner and not much is going on. I would not try to do it again. I would much rather try to get on the bridge tour or go to the engine room.

Unfortunately, they seem to restrict these to the Elite level CC members. In 2002 we got invited as suite passengers, but according to the Guest Relations desk on the Mercury in Oct of this year, the Elite members get first shot at them. The Oct cruise was heavy with Elite and Select members.

If there aren't as many on your cruise, you may be able to get a tour by requesting it as suggested by other posters. Or, if you ask at Guest Relations they may have extra space on a tour and will be able to work you in.

There is nothing wrong with, or impertinent about, asking about the tours, how else would you get to take one?

Susan

Make friends with your assistant Maitre 'd and try asking him/her. On our last cruise in September we asked and the 8 of us from our table, and a few others, got a personal tour of the kitchen that lasted over an hour (about 1:30 in the afternoon I think it was). We got to see many things on the tour, the making of desserts, the bakery, the menus they use to prepare the meals, how thw wait staff picks and chooses the courses to serve, etc. And the kitchen was in the middle of preparing that night's dinner so we did see quite a bit of activity. It was by far the best kitchen tour we ever had. Just an FYI, there are special tiles on the floors in the galley and they are quite slippery.

Thanks Bill. We will give that a go. I have no interest in the Bridge as you can see them through windows on RCL Voyager class ships and it just looks like a bunch of technology and a Captain's Chair. Food, now THAT interests me!

I agree, but we didn't want to be told we were asking for a perk we didn't deserve.

That was my concern as well, but the folks at the desk didn't seem to feel it was an issue.

Hope you get to take it, one way or another,

Susan

Sometimes I think you just get "picked" as some do for the captain's table.

I got a galley tour on my third cruise -- and as others have said, there was snot a whole lot going on.

I was invited on a bridge tour on my TA in October, and I really enjoyed that one. I'd go there again. (That sure was one cute navigator that explained evereything to us -- but his Greek accent was so heavy I had a hard time understanding him.)

Anyway, you are not being pushy or impertinent to ask for a tour. All they can do is say they already are booked up for available tours. And who knows, someone may drop out.

You deserve it.

love

joan

I was invited on a bridge tour on my TA in October, and I really enjoyed that one. I'd go there again. (That sure was one cute navigator that explained evereything to us -- but his Greek accent was so heavy I had a hard time understanding him.)

Joan - You're absolutely right about the navigator! I was too busy drooling to care what he was talking about.:D

Terri

Befriend the asst maitre d or the restaurant mgr and ask them to bring you down mid way thru dinner some night.

We just did that on our Millie transatlantic and it was something to see just how organized they really are. On the M class ships the waiters have to carry extremely heavy trays up an escalator!! I was amazed at the amount of walking they do.

idssms

Archived