Question for those familiar with Tampa Port/Carnival

msuweather

Hi Everyone -

We will be sailing out on the Carnival Miracle from Tampa, May 13th. For anyone familiar with this area, do you think this scenario will work out okay?

Traveling is myself, husband, and 15 month old son. We are renting a car on Saturday and staying in clearwater for the night.

Here is my plan:

On Sunday morning, drive to the terminal. Drop off all our luggage and car seat. My husband will then return the car to the Tampa Airport. My son and I will walk around the port. Probably walk down to the park or stop at some of the shops along the way. My husband will drop off the car and taxi/uber back to the port and meet us.

The only way I see this going badly is if it is poring down rain. We are scheduled to check-in at 10:30, so I'm thinking get to the port around 9:30. We are suite guest so we have priority boarding.

Thoughts, comments, what will not work here, or is this a solid plan?

Really appreciate all your assistance.

Hertz and Enterprise are also near the port.

If you stick with your plan it will take your husband 20+ min to gas up and get to TPA, a few minutes to drop off the car, and another 15-20+ minutes to Uber or taxi back to the port. Your plan will work, but closer and easier options are available.

Have a great cruise! :)

there are no shops!!! nor a park

channelside is kaput .... the former shopping venue

but Riverwalk isn't far ... a linear park for walking / bike riding

the aquarium is right there, but $30 general admission which includes the kiddie 'splashpad'

Edited by Capt_BJ

The aquarium is next to the ship. You could take your son to the aquarium for an hour or two while your husband drops of the car. The airport isn't close to the port. Its about a 15-20 minute drive and at that time you will have all the passengers disembarking from the ship so traffic will be bad. Plan about 45 minutes.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The park I was look at is Cotanchobbe Fort Brooke Park and after further looking I see that channelside has kind of fallen apart.

I didn't think about returning the car to the port location. I'll look into that option just to save us some time.

Appreciate you all.

Cotanchobbe Fort Brooke Park

never knew that was a park of its own ... it is part of Riverwalk ... website says there's a playground. I don't remember one but found a small one at the west end of the park with Google Earth, across from AMALIE Arena sw corner - about 1/2 mile walk

https://thetampariverwalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Riverwalk-Map.pdf

Thank you all. I greatly appreciate your responses.

We adjusted our rental to return at the Marriott (Hertz). Cost a little more since I was unable to use my reward points, but the time savings is worth it. Google maps says it is a 15 minute walk so that is perfect.

We plan to visit the aquarium on our return. Our flight home isn't until 4:30, so we will spend a few hours there before going to the airport.