Which is best...East or West?

andie717

After thinking we were definitely going to do a beach in March 2019, cruise in 2020...we are already missing our Easter cruise and may have changed our minds!

The cruisers would be my family (DH, DD15 and DD 12). We are experienced cruisers (the girls are looking forward to getting their gold status this cruise!). We have mainly done western Caribbean since having kids...just worked out with timing. Ports we have visited with them (some multiple times) are: Roatan, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. Joining us next year is our friends, who have never cruised...husband and wife and their 2 sons, 16 and 13. With the teens and tweens, we want to do a lot of "active" excursions....zip lining, Dunn's, snuba, etc. I don't mind revisiting the sting rays, etc.

Because of spring break limitations (kids in school and I teach), and the desire for bigger ships with more activities, it has been narrowed down to 3 (or 4) options. Priced out 2 cabins, 1 balcony/1 inside per family, and prices are within $500:

Carnival Vista: Galveston, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Carnival Magic: Miami, Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Carnival Breeze: Orlando, Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk (this is a tough sell though, as it is the most expensive of the 3, with the same ports as the Magic...

4th Option is to beach it as per the original plan in 2019 and go big on Havana Cabins in 2020, which would visit Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel - we are just off the Vista and were so envious of the Havana section!!

I'm kind of in charge of planning, but I haven't been to 3 of the 4 ports on the Eastern itinerary. I think I always viewed Eastern as less active/more shopping? Maybe I'm wrong though?

If you were me, what would you do?

These are 3 of our favorite ships. I assume getting to the ports is not a factor. I would also choose east and if the breeze is higher then the magic then magic since same ports and not a lot of difference in the two. Grand Caymans has the nicest beach on the western iteniary but you can find nice beaches on all the east ones too. St Thomas we typically take an excursion over to St Johns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From the three you have listed, and keeping your budget in mind, I would suggest the Magic. As for things to do at each port, I suggest going to the "Ports of Call" board on here. You'll find lots of information and comments about things to do at each port. Trip Advisor is a good source for tourist information. There is another social media site that we're not allowed to discuss here that may be helpful too.

Magic. Have been to all those ports except Amber Cove. You can shop til you drop, or you can park yourself on a gorgeous beach all day. Or split your time between those two options at each one. In Grand Turk, you can literally walk down the pier, hang a left, and you are on the beach (you'll have a great view of the ship because it's right there. Old San Juan is a great place to visit (don't miss El Morro and El Convento -- El Convento has the best tapas and sangria ever). In St Thomas, you can go to Magen's Bay or hop over to St John via ferry.

Your kids won't be bored, and you won't either!

We are all about beach days, so we definitely prefer Eastern Caribbean over Western. St. Thomas and Grand Turk beaches have plenty of activities for those who need it, and plenty of opportunities to relax with a few beverages for those who so choose. We love Jack's Shack on Grand Turk. You can vacation at your own pace, without the crowds and hefty prices of Margaritaville.

We are all about beach days, so we definitely prefer Eastern Caribbean over Western. St. Thomas and Grand Turk beaches have plenty of activities for those who need it, and plenty of opportunities to relax with a few beverages for those who so choose. We love Jack's Shack on Grand Turk. You can vacation at your own pace, without the crowds and hefty prices of Margaritaville.

Thanks! Starting to lean that way...

Check out the Waterfalls of Damajagua in Amber Cove. That looks very adventurous. I'm actually doing the same itinerary on the Magic in 1/2019. This will be my second Eastern Caribbean trip. I personally prefer Eastern but have always enjoyed Western too, I guess you can't go wrong in the Caribbean.

Check out the Waterfalls of Damajagua in Amber Cove. That looks very adventurous. I'm actually doing the same itinerary on the Magic in 1/2019. This will be my second Eastern Caribbean trip. I personally prefer Eastern but have always enjoyed Western too, I guess you can't go wrong in the Caribbean.

I guess you can't go wrong in the Caribbean.

This is very true!!! :cool:

We have done all of the islands you listed. The breeze would be my first choice for your group if price wasn't a factor.

But since it is I would choose the magic.

We really enjoyed Amber Cove. We did the 27 waterfalls of Damajagua. You can look in my signature and click on my conquest review. I just finished it and it has pictures and videos of this tour. They have lots of outdoor tours with the company we went with (iguana mama). You can rappel down waterfalls, ride ATV's, etc.

Grand Turk has a nice beach in port. But we rented an ATV and drove around the island There aren't many cars so it was safer than most island. You can rent scooters or golf carts too. There were others driving some kind

Puerto Rico we walked to the forts and stopped at the chocolate restaurant. We even tried a chocolate grilled cheese.

St Thomas has some nice beaches. I think for one day you shouldn't have to keep them entertained. They can read a book and do what everyone else does on the beach. You can always ride the sky ride up to paradise point if you need to break up your day.

We have done all of the islands you listed. The breeze would be my first choice for your group if price wasn't a factor.

But since it is I would choose the magic.

We really enjoyed Amber Cove. We did the 27 waterfalls of Damajagua. You can look in my signature and click on my conquest review. I just finished it and it has pictures and videos of this tour. They have lots of outdoor tours with the company we went with (iguana mama). You can rappel down waterfalls, ride ATV's, etc.

Grand Turk has a nice beach in port. But we rented an ATV and drove around the island There aren't many cars so it was safer than most island. You can rent scooters or golf carts too. There were others driving some kind

Puerto Rico we walked to the forts and stopped at the chocolate restaurant. We even tried a chocolate grilled cheese.

St Thomas has some nice beaches. I think for one day you shouldn't have to keep them entertained. They can read a book and do what everyone else does on the beach. You can always ride the sky ride up to paradise point if you need to break up your day.

Thanks! The waterfalls do look amazing (and terrifying!!).:o I will check out your reviews!