Anyone live from the Zaandam? If so I have a question!!

TomAndJane

If anyone is on the Zaandam, could you tell me what the WiFi package is at the moment. I know it differs by boat from a package where you buy minutes to packages which only allow access to certain sites.

Many thanks

Jersey [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right now it is an unlimited one [1 device at a time] but this is also a long repo [17-23 days]. I'm not sure that will continue on the Alaskan part - but it's nice not counting minutes - access is spotty and quite a few short blips.

In fact, just had a blip while trying to post this reply.

Right now it is an unlimited one [1 device at a time] but this is also a long repo [17-23 days]. I'm not sure that will continue on the Alaskan part - but it's nice not counting minutes - access is spotty and quite a few short blips.

In fact, just had a blip while trying to post this reply.

Thanks so much H@S [emoji1360]

Although, as a 4 star Mariner, this issue is moot for me, I still find it unconscionable. Is there no end to these cost savings/revenue enhancement measures? Obviously this is intended to promote the ship's paying laundry business and, at the same time, generate more revenue with the additional cabins. The self-service laundry was a vital service to many guests, particularly on long voyages, and will be sorely missed.

It is more likely that HAL were fed up with complaints about ignorant guests who took other's laundry out of washer/dryer and left it on floor so they could get theirs done first. The level of selfishness in that room were quite incredible. This was a disturbingly routine event on our multi-month cruises.

If anyone is on the Zaandam, could you tell me what the WiFi package is at the moment. I know it differs by boat from a package where you buy minutes to packages which only allow access to certain sites.

Many thanks

Jersey [emoji3]

They sell access per day, US$14.95 is lowest price, US$29.95 was highest (if memory serves) for as much as you can use. No more counting minutes. We didn't try it, lots of 'free' wifi in ports, even if the price is a pina colada at 10 am in Huatalco :-)

On the Zaandam I did see a few more terminals than there were on the Rotterdam in 2013. People were using them later in the cruise.

Any success using magnets on the cabin walls?

Is it difficult getting a table for two in Anytime Dining without a reservation?

That would be good to know! I don't know why it seems to be so disturbing that you would want to dine alone with your companion. Even when we have had reservations for a table for 2, we are ALWAYS asked "would you mind sharing a table"

If anyone is live from the Zaandam, how is the Crow's Nest? Some reported it was being transformed into the new EXC Center during the recent dry dock and others have said differently.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Tom

Crows Nest was completely refurbed as were the Explorer's Lounge and Café. Lido was refurbed, decks for main and Seaview pool redone. Carpets in hallways (at least on Dolphin and Main decks).

Fresh anti-fouling, and hull paint. Retractable roof was being painted in San Diego when we left the ship.

All the fire doors were tested and tested and tested.

Are the hands on cooking classes offered in the America Test Kitchen?

Yes they are. We were too late to book them, very popular. Faisal, if he is still onboard, is excellent instructor.

Overall the switch to ATK is great. Much better teaching points, the room was routinely packed, often two presentations per day.

My advise would be to go to Front Desk as soon as you board and book the hands-on. Only 8 ppl/class now, down from 12 which should mean a much better experience for attendees.

We thought we would miss the guest chef's, but ATK is a much better experience. We found in our 300+days on HAL that too many of the guest chefs were full of themselves. A few exceptions were George Geary and Ray Bear and some others. The Dutch guest chefs on Rotterdam in 2013 were also excellent, they didn't have cookbooks that they were pushing and not full of egos :-).

I'm wondering whether any of the ocean view cabins on Lower Promenade deck were converted to lanais? We love our lanai cabins and heard that the Zaandam might be getting them. We are booked to sail on Zaandam in January.

No lanais, thank goodness. While you might enjoy them, the rest of us hate them due to lack of deck chairs :-) There are enough guests as is who park their book and swan off for an hour or so leaving an empty chair.