Can someone explain Gratuities to me?

Elimin8r

If you prepay tips on the drink or dining package at 20% then why is the overall tips for the cruise 13.50 a day, shouldn’t it be a flat 20%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would lead to some inequity. Example one stateroom pays $500 for inside stateroom. Dsc at 20% is $14.29/ day. His next door neighbor pays $199 sail away rate for same type room. His dsc is $5.69/day. Both receive same service in dining and room steward..but staff gets $ depending on what Ncl sold room for? Ncl charges one dsc rate for non suites Higher rate for suites, presumably because the staff serving suites are rewarded with extra pay for past positive performance.

That would lead to some inequity. Example one stateroom pays $500 for inside stateroom. Dsc at 20% is $14.29/ day. His next door neighbor pays $199 sail away rate for same type room. His dsc is $5.69/day. Both receive same service in dining and room steward..but staff gets $ depending on what Ncl sold room for? Ncl charges one dsc rate for non suites Higher rate for suites, presumably because the staff serving suites are rewarded with extra pay for past positive performance.

Isn’t that the case often though. In a restaurant, if you happen to be serving at the time when the restaurant is offering deals then you will get a lower tip than when they aren’t, even though you are offering the same service to everyone.

I’m not disagreeing with your point particularly by the way, but this does show what a rubbish way of making up people’s pay tipping is (in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need to show proof of anything, because I didn't claim anything. I just asked, because the majority of folks that claim this are the ones who don't pay the DSC and just thought you might have some real information to back up your statement.

They just use it as an excuse for being cheap.

Isn’t that the case often though. In a restaurant, if you happen to be serving at the time when the restaurant is offering deals then you will get a lower tip than when they aren’t, even though you are offering the same service to everyone.

I’m not disagreeing with your point particularly by the way, but this does show what a rubbish way of making up people’s pay tipping is (in my opinion).

I think they usually still get their tip. Anytime I use my bank cc for bogo at local venues the bill comes with the pre tip total, discount, and then suggested tip based on non discounted total. But yes, a happy hour special is often a discount. I think most people try and tip depending on level of service how much time they took up a table and service received. So if I was out for happy hour special and only got appetizers and no alcohol and a really low bill I’d tip alot extra because I took up service and table. Usually if that occurs we’re with friends who are ordering expensive drinks and so I don’t think about it much but I think most people make up the difference in higher tip.

Perhaps a different analogy would a resort fees. The $80/night last minute discount rate room pays the same resort fees as the $200/night same non discount room. If the guy next door in same room type gets a room discount fine but if you’re paying extra for all the service related fees on top of the higher rate just because you didn’t get the discount that would probably be a bit of an issue.

You are the one who made the claim, so it is down to you to prove it, not for someone else to disprove it.

Of course, if you are just speculating then that's fine. Just so long as we are clear.

I said they "likely do not", as was already said several times by others on this thread before as well. I did not ask you to disprove it, I asked you to prove your claim. LOL. Sounds like you just want to be contradictory. Have fun with that.

I said they "likely do not", as was already said several times by others on this thread before as well. I did not ask you to disprove it, I asked you to prove your claim. LOL. Sounds like you just want to be contradictory. Have fun with that.

Considering that the post you quote was my first contribution to this discussion, perhaps you could let us know what claim you believe I have made.

You have fun with that.

Very easy. Gratuities are 100% optional other than on a few of the packages such as the UBP (drink package) and the SDP (dining package). Just tip who you want however much you want whenever you want.

The Service fee you are discussing is probably the DSC. What that is can be found in the FAQ on the NCL web site. Some people confuse that with a tip even though it is not. Others use it as an excuse not to tip when in all actuality no excuse is needed since tipping is optional.

Bottom line is no you do not NEED to tip. However if you feel that someone who has been helping you deserves a tip by all means do so.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You mention the gratuities on the packages (SDP and UBP), but don’t forget the 20% will be charged on individual items (Specialty meals and beverages) for people who do not have the packages.

As for the DSC, didn’t that replace the envelope system of cruises past? And if so wouldn’t that by definition define the DSC as a tip?

No. Could you please show proof that they pass on to employees?

I had employees on my Escape 4/7 sailing tell me the DSC is shared by all of them...I still tipped my room steward and select others more.

“As for the DSC, didn’t that replace the envelope system of cruises past? And if so wouldn’t that by definition define the DSC as a tip?”

Yes, and a few precious folks just can’t deal with it...

Several? Show me two...

Considering the observation skills displayed in the post you quoted, it wouldn't surprise me if this is one of them :)

It goes to the crew in various ways (although some believe the horrible, terrible corporation of NCL sticks it in their pockets and laughs maniacally at the poor, deserving, underpaid crew). Joke for those who can't recognize it.

As for the DSC, didn’t that replace the envelope system of cruises past? And if so wouldn’t that by definition define the DSC as a tip?

Yes, what we call the DSC replaced the traditional envelopes for tips. It doesn't take a genius to see why the traditional system wouldn't work with NCL Freestyle.

And, personally, I found the envelope system cumbersome. When I first started cruising it was expected that you would stuff the envelopes with cash and give them out on your last scheduled interaction with the service provider. It took a little time to give out three or four envelopes at the last dinner in the main dining room, but luckily it didn't delay dinner at all since there was also traditionally lighter than usual traffic. I always wondered why that was. /s

For all the hoopla here every time someone mentions the topic I think compliance with the tipping system is probably higher now than when people could stiff their wait staff by eating in the buffet on the final night. That took hardly any effort, and you were all with your like-minded new friends in the buffet. At least now you have to go to some effort to avoid paying the money that was traditionally placed in envelopes by going to Customer Service.