iphone facetime vs Skype: Wifi packages

Beachgal528

Is it possible to facetime through the wifi connection with a purchased package? If so, would it require the premium package? Or is the best way to do this through skype?

Thanks in advance for guidance. This will be our first trip away from our toddlers and want to be able to facetime or skype the easiest way possible.

Nope Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi calling and Facetime services are also not supported.

Does not support Skype or video and music streaming (such as Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Pandora

only the premium package can get Skype-- but if you read reviews-- it gets dropped (A lot)

Is it possible to facetime through the wifi connection with a purchased package? If so, would it require the premium package? Or is the best way to do this through skype?

Thanks in advance for guidance. This will be our first trip away from our toddlers and want to be able to facetime or skype the easiest way possible.

You would need the premium package for Skype and FaceTime to work. However, Facebook messenger has a video call function that should work with one of the cheaper packages.

You would need the premium package for Skype and FaceTime to work. However, Facebook messenger has a video call function that should work with one of the cheaper packages.

Thanks! I’ll look in to that since that seems to be the cheapest way and then look at the ports for FaceTime maybe.

Some advice, try Viber, both people must have it on their devices, and it's free!

BookFace, Sk-Hype, Viper, Instant-Gram.

How many of these things are around that distract people from getting away from their devices and just enjoy the moment and their vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first week on the Glory, the first week of April, the passengers were mostly older folks, and most seem to have cell phones! ;p

Item # SRCPREMIUM WI-FI PLAN

$14.88/DAY

From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

the medium package allows

Access these social and chat apps:

• Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook Messenger
  • WhatsApp
  • WhatsApp can do video calling

How many of these things are around that distract people from getting away from their devices and just enjoy the moment and their vacation.

:rolleyes: And then there are those of us who, like the OP, merely want to be able to check on our young kids a couple of times during the 8 days we are separated.

OP, we have T-Mobile and had no issues using our phones to call and FaceTime home in all 3 ports we visited (Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel). We checked in for a few minutes on our way to our excursions.

This is a common sentiment around these boards, but can be awful hypocritical at times. As soon as someone says they use their cell phone/mobile device/laptop on their cruise or post about purchasing an internet plan, they're almost always attacked on this forum. "You're on vacation, put your phone in your safe and DISCONNECT." "Why does anyone need internet while they're on a cruise? DISCONNECT!" We've all seen it over & over again. Yet no one ever reacts the same way to those who spend a lot of time composing reviews, especially those who do it live while on board. They're on their devices and on the internet. What's the difference? No one ever says, "Stop posting to Cruise Critic, disconnect and go enjoy your cruise."

I've seen reviews that obviously took up a lot of that person's time on their cruise. Countless photos of everything...every single painting hanging on the walls, ice cream machines, drink machines, condiment stations, you name it. Those aren't photos taken for personal keepsakes, they're taken just to compose reviews. So why don't those who dedicate a lot of their cruise time to composing reviews receive the same backlash as those who use their cell phones and/or internet for other purposes?

I'm not putting down reviews or those who make them. I read them now and again and find them helpful sometimes. It's not the reviews themselves that I take issue with, it's the hypocrisy of the people who attack someone for one thing, but don't attack others for doing the same (just with a different objective). Why is spending time creating a review acceptable, yet checking emails/getting on social media/doing work/checking in at home is not?

While I respect your right to have that opinion it's really not relevant to the purpose of the OP's initial question. You might be able to totally disconnect for a week away and that's great. Other people don't have that ability, and they shouldn't get criticism for it.

To the OP - I see one of the other posters did not have success with FB messenger or Viber. Some cell carriers also offer "Cellular at Sea," which allows some functionality. It's been awhile since I researched that specific service so I don't know how much it costs and what its parameters are. But, it might be worth a look.

:rolleyes: And then there are those of us who, like the OP, merely want to be able to check on our young kids a couple of times during the 8 days we are separated..

depending on the ages of the kids-- it may be harder for them to hear from you

That week could be a lifetime for them and to hear from you for a few minutes could have a lot of draw backs for the kids and the people who are left in the care

Spoken from pure experiences. DO NOT CALL the kids. (unless they are like teens)

depending on the ages of the kids-- it may be harder for them to hear from you

That week could be a lifetime for them and to hear from you for a few minutes could have a lot of draw backs for the kids and the people who are left in the care

Spoken from pure experiences. DO NOT CALL the kids. (unless they are like teens)

Correction: Spoken from your experiences.

It's bad enough when people think they can dictate how others handle their vacations, but telling others not to contact their own children while on vacation is beyond ridiculous.

You seems to have listed quite a few... that allow moms and dads to communicate with their toddlers while on their first trip away from their kids for any length of time. :mad::mad::mad:clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

:rolleyes: And then there are those of us who, like the OP, merely want to be able to check on our young kids a couple of times during the 8 days we are separated.

OP, we have T-Mobile and had no issues using our phones to call and FaceTime home in all 3 ports we visited (Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel). We checked in for a few minutes on our way to our excursions.

YES! Thank you:D

Correction: Spoken from your experiences.

It's bad enough when people think they can dictate how others handle their vacations, but telling others not to contact their own children while on vacation is beyond ridiculous.

This couldn't be more accurate! Thanks for making that correction & statement ;)