Harvest Caye -- beach or stay on Getaway?

cruisegal415

I feel so much better now! Thx for the explanations!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to be clear, you can enjoy the beach at Harvest Caye for no charge. Also there are shuttles (golf cart style) that will take you from the ship to the entrance to Harvest Caye.

I took a nice ride on a boat at Harvest Caye. It is listed as the manatee cruise, but it is really low key and a nice way to see the resort/island. It poured, we got soaked and didn't see one manatee, but it was still fun and not too expensive if want to try something besides the beach/pool.

My DH and I were on the first ship that visited HC in 2016. We just walked around and checked everything out and went swimming in the pool. We enjoyed the festivities of opening day. We went again Nov. 2017, and took the ferry to Placencia. It’s about a 15 minute boat ride. We rented a golf cart and explored the peninsula, went shopping and had a few drinks. Took the ferry back to HC and went in the pool for awhile, then took the shuttle back to the ship. We had the best day, and met some nice people. I definitely would suggest going on the island to check it out

We rented Kayaks, but I advise against this as it was pretty boring. We did see a big pelican and Iguana, but otherwise, still water and just a figure 8 loop. We walked around a bit. It is pretty, but we weren't interested in being on the beach, so we went back to the ship. Had a nice lunch at O'Sheehan's (we were on Pearl in Jan 2018) and went to the spa. Ship was pretty empty, but that was fine by me. I like to read when I cruise.

My DH and I were on the first ship that visited HC in 2016. We just walked around and checked everything out and went swimming in the pool. We enjoyed the festivities of opening day. We went again Nov. 2017, and took the ferry to Placencia. It’s about a 15 minute boat ride. We rented a golf cart and explored the peninsula, went shopping and had a few drinks. Took the ferry back to HC and went in the pool for awhile, then took the shuttle back to the ship. We had the best day, and met some nice people. I definitely would suggest going on the island to check it out

Yes I also suggest taking the ferry to Placencia. Nice quiet beach with plenty of eateries and bars. Everything is inexpensive since the US Dollar goes a long way in Belize.

We've been there twice now. It's not my favorite stop, but not that bad. There are plenty of loungers available both in the sun and under trees--we had no problem finding one. If we go there again we might stay on the ship.

You can spend lots of money there but you don't need to spend a dime--we didn't. We just walked around 'casing out the joint' then found loungers. I swam, tried to snorkel--no fish to speak of but I did get stung by a jellyfish!--the water isn't really murky, at least not when we were there, just plain old sand bottom. Also, the beach sand is kind of coarse.

Last year we took the ferry over to the mainland and just wandered around and had a meal.

I'd much rather port on the mainland, but I guess that isn't going to happen with NCL, at least on the new ships.