P & O Tours - Tipping

FraserK

Hi

We have now booked a couple of tours through P & O and wondered what is the general policy around tipping at the end?

Thanks

Kat

No policy at all. But many people do tip between a euro and 5 Euro. I generally give a little more as the driver helps me with my mobility scooter. It is common practice for the guide and driver to share the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find that some do and some don't. Everyone has their own thoughts on what is reasonable. I tip 5 euros if the service was outstanding and/or if either went out of their way to help out in some way. I don't find it obligatory and I don't always tip.

As others, we usually tip and the amount given is dependant on how good the day has been (the quality of the guide I suppose). There have been occasions when we haven't tipped when the guide has been useless and the driver miserable and reluctant to even acknowledge a friendly 'thank you'.

Have to say, these occasions are few and far between.

I'd say we generally give about 5 Euros but 10 sometimes.

We usually tip at the end of an excursion. I remember once in Antigua my husband and I were doing different excursions and my husband went off on his before I realised he'd forgotten to give me any money. Not only couldn't I give the tour guide a tip (and she was brilliant) but I couldn't do any shopping.:eek:

I don’t tip after tours and I remove the compulsory P&O gratuities. I don’t tip individually either. I pay for the cruise, and am happy to pay whatever the going rate is. I happily pay for any tours undertaken and consider that in both of these cases the responsibility for the wages of those involved is not mine. They are doing their job . The tipping culture is ridiculous, unnecessary and divisive. It is not necessary to ‘pay for good service’ . We have enjoyed many cruises,on a variety of lines, and also stayed in many top hotels. The service we have received has, almost without exception been entirely satisfactory. When there has been the (very rare) problem, this has been sorted without a fuss, and without a tip! And no, I don’t think we are unusual or rude, or affecting the well being of other guests/passengers as has on occasion been suggested.

I don’t tip after tours and I remove the compulsory P&O gratuities. I don’t tip individually either. I pay for the cruise, and am happy to pay whatever the going rate is. I happily pay for any tours undertaken and consider that in both of these cases the responsibility for the wages of those involved is not mine. They are doing their job . The tipping culture is ridiculous, unnecessary and divisive. It is not necessary to ‘pay for good service’ . We have enjoyed many cruises,on a variety of lines, and also stayed in many top hotels. The service we have received has, almost without exception been entirely satisfactory. When there has been the (very rare) problem, this has been sorted without a fuss, and without a tip! And no, I don’t think we are unusual or rude, or affecting the well being of other guests/passengers as has on occasion been suggested.
I suggest you don't read this thread for the next few weeks. Things could get heated!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Honestly? I have never seen anyone tip after a P&O tour. Everyone has piled off the coaches straight to the queue for the ship, and there’s never been anywhere or anyone to leave a tip. I was going to tip one tour guide who had been amazing, but he disappeared off somewhere as we got off the coach!

Honestly? I have never seen anyone tip after a P&O tour. Everyone has piled off the coaches straight to the queue for the ship, and there’s never been anywhere or anyone to leave a tip. I was going to tip one tour guide who had been amazing, but he disappeared off somewhere as we got off the coach!

Because I take longer to get off and get my scooter I notice it every time.

It’s definitely not a wind up. I simply do not see why I should ‘tip’ somebody for doing their job. Where should it end? Do you tip nurses? Teachers? Solicitors? Social workers? Receptionists? Shop assistants? Everybody who ‘serves ‘you in some way? Ridiculous!!

I’m speechless!

It’s definitely not a wind up. I simply do not see why I should ‘tip’ somebody for doing their job. Where should it end? Do you tip nurses? Teachers? Solicitors? Social workers? Receptionists? Shop assistants? Everybody who ‘serves ‘you in some way? Ridiculous!!

I’m speechless!

On tours we don't see it as a tip but as a thank you if it has been really good. Nothing wrong with saying 'thank you'. We would do that in a restaurant in the UK for really good service and always see it as a 'thank you' .

Looking at your list above I imagine that it is normal for some of them to get gifts or cards to say thank you. On a tour it wouldn't be very practical to give them a box of chocolates or a card at the end of the day !

Having said that, we have had some tours where we definitely have not given a 'thank you' gift as service had been poor and we probably could have done a better job ourselves ...

If you want to say thank you, then say it!

It shouldn’t require a monetary addition to make it mean something ! I’m not so sure that receptionists or shop assistants receive gifts for doing their job. Others might, but it is absolutely not necessary . I worked for thirty + yers in one of these professions nd occasionally received cards. Any gifts offered would be returned and I would tell people that it was not necessary or expected. In many job roles gifts of any sort are not permitted - and a very good thing too. If you need to add money to a thank you then it is meaningless.

Thinking about it as pando are trying to get more and more families to sail with them on the big ships there may come a time in the future , where they listen to what passengers are saying now, and especially as more and more passengers take the service charge off, and roll up that amount and more into the cruise price. Ofcourse the prices would go up but it would stop threads like this appearing.. I know it started off about tour tipping but took a sideward path to the service charge.

If you want to say thank you, then say it!

It shouldn’t require a monetary addition to make it mean something ! I’m not so sure that receptionists or shop assistants receive gifts for doing their job. Others might, but it is absolutely not necessary . I worked for thirty + yers in one of these professions nd occasionally received cards. Any gifts offered would be returned and I would tell people that it was not necessary or expected. In many job roles gifts of any sort are not permitted - and a very good thing too. If you need to add money to a thank you then it is meaningless.

At the end of the day each one of us should be free to decide what we do with our own money.

You obviously feel very strongly about this one so I'm backing off now and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Going back to the question of tipping tour guides, I agree with you. There is no need to and I don't feel obliged to tip on every occasion. I do feel that in some roles in service industry, tips do form part of the income, a little bit like getting a bonus for doing a really good job. I feel that tour guides and coach drivers come into this category.

For me it is discretionary. I pay an amount which I consider reasonable as a special thanks. I don't judge others who don't and I don't care about those who feel obliged to tip on every occasion.

At home, barbers, taxi drivers and waiters serving in restaurants do get tips. On cruise ships, traditionally front-line staff like waiters and cabin stewards get tips and this is factored into what they get as basic salary. This has become distorted by cruise lines which have tried to broaden the net and introduce service charges. That troubles me to be honest. Should always be a matter of individual choice.

BTW I did 2 taxi tours at port stops on my last cruise. I agreed a fee upfront. At the end of the tour, I paid an additional 5 euros on each occasion as a thank you. I only did this because on both occasions, not only was the tour excellent but the guide made allowances for my mobility problems and adapted the tour accordingly. There was no obligation, I could have saved a total of 10 Euros but I paid a tip in appreciation nonetheless.