Pools on Royal

Pension3X

We too thought we would be against the Royal for the lack of an aft pool and the lack of a wrap around promenade, but I must say, the ship has won us over.

We loved to hang at the aft pool and do an hour and a half of walking on the promenade, and thought those two items would put us off from the Royal, but we loved her! We are sailing again on her this November before she leaves the Caribbean.

The Room TVs with on demand, the much better buffet, the brighter and increased resolution of the MUTS screen (and better sound I think), and the bigger atrium are worth the trade off. Everything is a little nicer/newer than the Grand class.

I still miss the aft pool, but we have taken to late night swims in the adults only pool and often are the only ones there. Might be a bit cooler on the California side on late nights, but the hot tubs are also usually empty after 9pm.

The main pool area is fine for an afternoon swim, its just that you may have to find a chair a bit out of the way for relaxing on. When lots of kids are on board, the hot tubs are certainly busy.

And the walking/jogging track on the top deck is adequate for a walk, but certainly not the same ambiance (or shade) of the promenade. But hey, we will take it.

Try it and see. You too may be surprised how well you like it.

Don

What I really liked about Royal was that you could walk from the Atrium to the aft stairs/lifts to go down to the Traditional dining MDR without having to fight your way through the photo gallery - they've moved that to deck 6.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you book this cruise? We are thinking about doing the Mexican cruise on Princess Royal 3/30. There are only 2 sailing out of LA area on spring break. The Royal and Carnival Splendor, I am surprised at the lack of cruises out of LA area. The pool sit on the Royal is sad, imo, going from 5 pools to 2, esp when the ship sails to the warmer weather locations. Just curious if you decided to go with the Royal. Thank you.

We are going on the royal 3/30 - I'm a teacher and my spring breaks finally coincide! (three different colleges) YEAH! I just got on the roll call! :)