Is this a deck-chair hogging record?

Bollinge

Zebster, you are a real riot. I am rolling on the floor. My 13 yr old dog would probably let anyone on the lounge chair as long as they let him on it too. If I were you I'd make sure I got the AC with remote control so you can adjust it from the chair you're sitting on while you're watching the "show". I'd also get one of those kiddie pools so your dog can get some pool time. Don't forget his sunglasses, visor, and tropical umbrella for his water bowl.

I just got off Celebrity Galaxy, out of Galveston on 17th Decmber.

It was a little cloudy on the first sea day, and I was sitting by the pool when I noticed a couple, presumably mother and daughter, laying towels out on two sun beds next to the pool.

They then proceeded to spread out towels on the beds under the covered section by the windows "in case it rains".

They then left the pool deck and "their" four unoccupied sun beds and did not return for at least an hour.

At which point I removed all their towels and went for lunch!

When I read these chair hogging threads I am thankful that I never want to lay out in the sun! I don't have to worry about all the intrigue! :rolleyes: Living in Tampa, I get more sun than I ever want or need. By Florida law, we are allowed 5 visits to dermatologists without referrals from other doctors due to the high incidence of skin cancer here from over exposure to sun.

Zebster' date=' you are a real riot. I am rolling on the floor. My 13 yr old dog would probably let anyone on the lounge chair as long as they let him on it too. If I were you I'd make sure I got the AC with remote control so you can adjust it from the chair you're sitting on while you're watching the "show". I'd also get one of those kiddie pools so your dog can get some pool time. Don't forget his sunglasses, visor, and tropical umbrella for his water bowl.[/quote']

Thanks Tommys Mom!

He is pretty talented with a remote (we used to find the TV on, he stepped/sat/layed on the right button) so he can handle that. I will bring a TV, so he can watch Animal Planet. Thanks for mentioning the pool, although I COULD just bring more orange fence and fence off the pool too:D I'm sure no one was planning on using it anyway. I better remember his beach ball and swimmies.

What the heck...I should just HOG the ENTIRE LIDO DECK!!! We will just bring both of the dogs!

• 4 weeks later...
When I read these chair hogging threads I am thankful that I never want to lay out in the sun! I don't have to worry about all the intrigue! :rolleyes: Living in Tampa, I get more sun than I ever want or need. By Florida law, we are allowed 5 visits to dermatologists without referrals from other doctors due to the high incidence of skin cancer here from over exposure to sun.

I would assume that is for those with HMO's and not all Floridians.

Get a balcony!

Problem solved!

I've never sat on a chair near the pools in all the cruises I've been on.

I do get the giggles when I'm out walking about though! All the human's out sunning themselves remind me of the shows on the Discovery Channel about the seals/sea lions that congregate on remote islands.

I do get the giggles when I'm out walking about though! All the human's out sunning themselves remind me of the shows on the Discovery Channel about the seals/sea lions that congregate on remote islands.

AMEN! :p :rolleyes: :D My husband refers to many as beached whales.....

You see this not only on cruise ships but at resorts as well. I'm an early riser so this is not an issue for me but I would just move the chairs that I wanted to a different location. This way when they come back and the entire chair is gone - no confrontation - and what are they going to do - accuse everyone?

I haven't read them all. However, we were in port one day DW & I stayed on the ship that day except for some shopping. After lunch it was Tanning time. We find a couple chairs beside a couple of 'reserved' chairs. Didn't care we had ours. So @ 3:30 the "hogs" show up and start talking about their day. They went on an excursion and hogged the chairs from @ 8:00am. They weren't even on the ship. DW & I just looked at each other in amazement. Down with Chair hogs!!

Well I guess we're getting to the point that we should bring lamenated signs. With something on them as;

Gone potty, getting food, swimming, getting a drink, service is slow,(that'll keep the waiters around), checking out the topless deck, or don't take this chair cause I'm the captain.

Since chair hogging is such a big pet peeve for most, I just want everyone's opinion on this scenario.......

What if my husband and I lay out our towels. He proceeds to the pool while I stay behind to get some sun. After he returns, I grab a quick burger and bring it back with me to the chair. Is that correct protocol?

How about if we both just run inside to get a slice of pizza to go and come right back (5-10 minutes max)? Would this still be hogging?

Please enlighten me (seriously) for I do not want to offend anyone on a future cruise.

Hello everyone...jcruise here from NJ. You all have me laughing at all these stories, so I thought I would share my method with you. DW and I usually have a group of other pax with us when we cruise. To beat the idea of chair hogging we just bring our stuff and set up right on the ledge of the pool. We sit inside the ledge in the several inches of water around the inside of the pool to keep cool and we can just go right in the water from there. We place our stuff either on the ledge or just outside the wall on the deck. We never played the deck chair game. If one becomes available in our area or if a pax asks us to watch their stuff, we just use that chair until they return. Theres no fuss and no arguements and everyone is happy. No one really complains that we hang by the ledge of the pool; we usually end up talking with other pax around us sitting in the deck chairs.The idea of getting up when the sun comes up is obsurd. (LOL)

jcruise

I have never had a problem getting a chair. I never go poolside. I go on the deck above the pool where people jog or walk around the entire ship. Ther is a place on every ship, usually towards the front and on the right hand side about 1/3 of the way down that has large air vents blowing out cool air (Don't know why it is blowing out cool air but it is on every ship I have ever been on). I usually take a chair within 20 feet of those vents and place it under the vents (yes it is noisy). I love being able to get a nice nap in without being interrupted and with person air conditioning. This great afrter the 1 or two mile walk around the deck and you dont want to go back to the cabin all sweaty. A 1/2 hour nap will dry you off and you will feel refreshed. On each cruise I have done this and usually have 2-3 other people doing it by the tours end.

Just gave me an idea with the last few posts. If you hang a sign around your neck signifying yourself as an official chair saver, you can always find a chair and keep it "saved" for the absentee hogs. And then when they return, you just find another chair to "save". A lot of moving, but you'll always have a chair and could probably pay a couple of bar tabs in tips if you can fake an accent and make them beleive you are a cruise line employee. Any takers on this idea? :p

i will not travel on a cruise ship that doesn't have adequate facilities for the passengers

if i have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair, that is not ok
if i have to fight for an empty lounge, that is not ok

i guess that's why seabourn seadream and radisson are my choices

[quote name='WLW']Yes, I do!!!

You should never leave a dog out in the sun for a couple of days!! Please give him a house to keep cool in and also provide an ambush place for him to hide! :D[/quote]I have to assume he's near a pool. Fido can always go for a little dip if he gets too hot.:D

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]It can get rediculous. Perhaps in response to complaints that people were chair hogging, but it was early one morning and I had the audacity to actually BE in the pool while the deck attendant was taking my things off my chair. I wonder if we'll need a tether connected from the chair to the pool so the attendant will know that you are actually there. Maybe they should give you about 50 feet of rope so you can reach the far end of the pool.....lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080]My secret for enjoying the pool/pool deck............ after having been to the same islands a number of times ( ie: Ocho Rios ) and if there is nothing there you really need to see or do ( again ), thats a great pool day for me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#800080] Happy Cruising[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='gone_cruisin']Since chair hogging is such a big pet peeve for most, I just want everyone's opinion on this scenario.......

What if my husband and I lay out our towels. He proceeds to the pool while I stay behind to get some sun. After he returns, I grab a quick burger and bring it back with me to the chair. Is that correct protocol?

How about if we both just run inside to get a slice of pizza to go and come right back (5-10 minutes max)? Would this still be hogging?

Please enlighten me (seriously) for I do not want to offend anyone on a future cruise.

It wouldn't offend me. In fact - I won't steal your chair if you both go grab a hamburger or actually dare to get in the pool at the same time.

On my last cruise -an Atlantic crossing- I would get up and go to the gym at 7:00, then eat breakfast, and be poolside by 9:00. There was rarely an "unreserved" chair even though I would be the only person actually poolside - drove me crazy -- after about 3 days into the cruise and dropping a few hints to the attendant with no response (small ship - he didn't want to offend other passengers.) I joined the chair hogs and started reserving my chair before I went to the gym Oink! Oink! but I still felt guilty breaking the rules (uneforced that they were!!!)

FT

[quote name='dyslexic pirate']
I do get the giggles when I'm out walking about though! All the human's out sunning themselves remind me of the shows on the Discovery Channel about the seals/sea lions that congregate on remote islands.[/QUOTE]

The image that always comes to my mind is a giant skillet with hundreds of slices of bacon sizzling away.

Archived