Is this a deck-chair hogging record?

Bollinge

I just got off Celebrity Galaxy, out of Galveston on 17th Decmber.

It was a little cloudy on the first sea day, and I was sitting by the pool when I noticed a couple, presumably mother and daughter, laying towels out on two sun beds next to the pool.

They then proceeded to spread out towels on the beds under the covered section by the windows "in case it rains".

They then left the pool deck and "their" four unoccupied sun beds and did not return for at least an hour.

At which point I removed all their towels and went for lunch!

Ha Ha Ha! Way to go Bollinge! I hate the chair saving game. I wish the cruise lines would police that activity more but they don't. RCCL even says not to do that in their cruise compass but go to the pool around noon and you'll find half the chairs empty except for a towel and I'll be walking around looking for some place to sit. I usually do what you did and move a couple out of the way. I've had a few confrontations but it's usually okay and either they go away or I give them their chairs back. I'm not going to fight over it but I'll let them know what I think of their actions. The reality is people that do that don't really give a crap about anybody but themselves.

I usually do what you did and move a couple out of the way. I've had a few confrontations but it's usually okay and either they go away or I give them their chairs back. I'm not going to fight over it but I'll let them know what I think of their actions. The reality is people that do that don't really give a crap about anybody but themselves.

I wish I had the nerve to confront people about "chair hogging", but I'm a sissy at heart. I just fume and go look for another chair. This is a problem definitely not restricted to cruise ships, however. I saw a most spectacular brouhaha a couple of years ago at a Vegas hotel pool between a group of "chair hogs" and "claim jumpers" that quickly degenerated into name-calling, chest-bumping, shoving, punching, hairpulling and t-shirt ripping. Alcohol was most definitely a factor, as it was hard to say which group was drunker. It was actually a better show than what I had paid $$$ to see the night before! Security waded in and ejected all parties involved. I've never seen anything more than a little "huffiness" on a cruise ship, thank goodness.

As soon as we board the ship, I stake out my chairs...I put out my towel, radio, umbrella, volleyball net, grill, cooler and floats. I then get the stakes to hold up the orange fence to go around my area, put the dog, our Rottweiler, in the fenced area with his bones, water and blankie...go to get some food...and come back a couple of days later.

Do you think thats a problem with anyone?:cool:

It's easy to move chair hogs. Just sit down next to them with a baby. You can rent a baby from the childrens' center if you don't have one of your own. :D

I saw an old guy carrying his entire family's collection of beach towels, out reserving an entire row of chairs at the aft pool. He saved 14 chairs at around 7 AM. When he left, I told the deck attendant that someone had forgotten their towels and he went and gathered them up. Passive-aggressive revenge is the best. :)

I get up early and stake out a couple of chiars for my partner and myself, then go to the buffet, grab some breakfast and carry it out to the pool to eat. I'm usually gone no more than 10 or 15 min. I have seen chairs ( up to 6 or more in a row) saved for most of the morning to the afternoon with lotions and books, and other sh-t.

I think its RUDE to hog chairs, however do not think saving chairs for 15 min to a half hour is unreasonable.

Most lines have RULES against this behavior. What they should do is if a passenger complains that a chair has been saved for over a half hour the " pool police should make a note of it, and follow up a half hour later , then remove the items in compliance with their policies.

I have also been in the pool and had all of my belongings put on the ground and had my chair taken by passengers who put up a fight when I confront them.

Once again its becoming the "I paid for this I'll do what I want, when I want"

Dave:eek:

As soon as we board the ship, I stake out my chairs...I put out my towel, radio, umbrella, volleyball net, grill, cooler and floats. I then get the stakes to hold up the orange fence to go around my area, put the dog, our Rottweiler, in the fenced area with his bones, water and blankie...go to get some food...and come back a couple of days later.

Taking mental notes on how to save chairs on my next cruise!!!!!:D :D

So it was your Rottweiler that I gave the steak to so I could sit by the pool...LMAO :D

So it was your Rottweiler that I gave the steak to so I could sit by the pool...LMAO :D

Thanks Mike,

He was looking a little thin...:D

Feel free to use the pool....just don't touch my chairs....I may need them for about 10-15mins some time during the cruise...and don't rearrange them, went to get lenghts to scope out the best 20 chairs that will give me the perfect sun/shade at any possible moment:rolleyes:

i'm so dumb. my first cruise i walked out to the pool . it was early and only two people were there. every chair had a towel on it.i thought the pool staff

left towels at every chair so you could jump out of the pool grab a towel and lay out after you did laps .so that just what i did after 15 min. of rest i got up threw the towel in the towel hamper and went back to my cabin. oh how rude of me.

You guys are just waaay to funny!

I'm a chicken. I really don't want to get into it with a crazy person so i cheat. I casually sit on the saved chaise for at least 15 minutes. If nobody yells at me I move their towels to one of the other many saved lounges. After my friends show up and do the same thing, there's a lounge with 10 towels on it. Oddly enough, the pile of towels went unnoticed for at least 2 hours. I also found that other passengers were taking my lead and doing the same thing.

To all you chaise hogs . . . those cruise line towels aren't free!

If you must save a chaise by leaving a book . . please leave me a good one! ;) And since you're NOT sitting down, would you grab me some fruit??

I get up early and stake out a couple of chiars for my partner and myself, then go to the buffet, grab some breakfast and carry it out to the pool to eat. I'm usually gone no more than 10 or 15 min.

I think its RUDE to hog chairs, however do not think saving chairs for 15 min to a half hour is unreasonable.

You are... a chair hog. :mad: Your justification is not any better than anyone elses. Either you are using a chair... or your not. Chairs are for sitting. If you aren't sitting, you aren't using one.

That being said, I like the Blaze Orange fence idea. I'm not sure how the Captain would feel about someone pounding steaks into the deck.

Is bububr really being that unreasonable? Zero tolerance policies usually don't work well by my observation. I'm frequently on deck by myself, so I don't have someone available to save my chair for a short period. Being human, I sometimes have to use the restroom. Sometimes I forget something in my cabin (lotion, glasses, etc.) that might take 10 minutes to retrieve. I think saving a chair for these purposes is reasonable. Perhaps there should be a 10 minute rule?

ctdahlquist, I'm with you! Everybody should be given some time to move about, grab a drink, run to the restroom. That's why I wait at least 15 minutes before considering a lounge 'open game'. Just like I wouldn't grab a lounge if there was a pool game happening. Many people will stand up close to the stage to see what's happening (leaving their lounges unattended). Of course, Ventureman would probably take his belongings with him in that case. :D

(that was a funny people . . . don't throw the ANY key at me!)

Taking mental notes on how to save chairs on my next cruise!!!!!:D :D

Ok I'll give you another of my secrets:D .....get some diapers, bottles, and maybe a stroller or two....this works best IF the diapers are left on the surrounding chairs and appear to be hmmm 'used' . A tape of a screaming baby (just put it in the stroller, and put a blanket over it so it LOOKS like there is a baby in there) and NO ONE will want to sit near you.

You can also place a large hairy (hairy chest all star) man in a nice thong with a large cigar, a sandwich loaded with onions and garlic, who belches loudly to the tune of HOT HOT HOT, in a chair near you. You will want to save a few in between as a buffer. Now if you don't have said man in your party, you may be able to rent one:D

Last cruise DH and I walked around the pool for quite a while before we finally found a "seat" Yep two chairs with only towels left on them. Well we disposed of the towels in the dirty laundry cart pulled the lounge chairs about two feet away from where the originally sat and plumpped down to enjoy the sunshine. About two hours later the "owners" did come by and sort of scratch their heads as to which one of the many people around the general vicinity grabbed their lounge chairs, but finally there was no way for them to know and they left. I can't understand why someone thinks that they have the right to leave their chair when there are other who will want to use them?

The key is to be able to move the lounge a little bit away so the "chair hog" doesn't know which lounge they lost.

Happy cruising

Is bububr really being that unreasonable? Zero tolerance policies usually don't work well by my observation. I'm frequently on deck by myself, so I don't have someone available to save my chair for a short period. Being human, I sometimes have to use the restroom. Sometimes I forget something in my cabin (lotion, glasses, etc.) that might take 10 minutes to retrieve. I think saving a chair for these purposes is reasonable. Perhaps there should be a 10 minute rule?

But he is saving a chair before he has ever sat down. It's the whole mentality of saving a chair before ever sitting down... and leaving. It's wrong.

It is much more different than leaving your chair you've been sitting in to dip in the pool, use the restroom, get a cocktail.

Ventureman,

Point well taken. Perhaps a good alternative is to arrive on deck before prime hours for sunbathing. You avoid the crowds, have your pick of locations and can still get some nice sun around 9:00 am.

An interesting thread...

Here's my routine...

We are early risers, my wife and myself. We have 4 teens that sleep in.

We usually head out o the deck around 7:30. On the way to the deck we fill our coffee mugs and head to the chairs. Even though we have 4 boys, we only save 1 extra chair. I don't like saving chairs for the kids when they sleep until 9 or 10, and only hang out with us for small amounts of time. Holding 1 chair for them, and their towels etc., seems like it is fair. (saving 6 chairs seems like a lot of work, especially if they never get used)

After sipping my coffee and reading something, my wife and I walk over to the breakfast area and grab something to munch on. The chairs are left unattended for 10 minutes, tops. We both like to work out so we alternate work-outs while one sits with the chairs, the other does her/his thing in the gym. Then we switch.

Yes, I do!!!

You should never leave a dog out in the sun for a couple of days!! Please give him a house to keep cool in and also provide an ambush place for him to hide! :D

Yes, I do!!!

You should never leave a dog out in the sun for a couple of days!! Please give him a house to keep cool in and also provide an ambush place for him to hide! :D

He has an umbrella, and a cooler...maybe in March I'll bring one of those plastic type of a shed...some extension cords and a portable A/C. That should help keep the kegs out of the sun as well:D

Better get a bigger trailer;)

Archived