Boarding in Barcelona

Grapevine24

A relative newbie to cruising here, only have been on a NCL Caribbean cruise previously. So thank-you in advance.

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise on the Crown this summer, Barcelona to Rome. Although our cruise is 7 days, it is also the last 7 days of other longer itineraries (14 and 21 days). So for many on board, Barcelona is just a port day.

We are scheduled to embark at 10pm in the evening. Do you know what time we would need to board? Wasn’t sure because the embarking time is so late. Assuming they will tell us when we need to be there for the muster drill?

Also, do you know if we would be able to check-on, board and drop things off in our room and then get off again to spend a few more hours in Barcelona without our luggage, etc?

Many thanks!

We are on the same cruise I think in June. Departure is @ 10pm & boarding after 1pm according to my travel summary. We are flying in on a morning flight from London so will go straight to the ship & hopefully board by 11am before heading into Barcelona to meet some friends.

A relative newbie to cruising here, only have been on a NCL Caribbean cruise previously. So thank-you in advance.

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise on the Crown this summer, Barcelona to Rome. Although our cruise is 7 days, it is also the last 7 days of other longer itineraries (14 and 21 days). So for many on board, Barcelona is just a port day.

We are scheduled to embark at 10pm in the evening. Do you know what time we would need to board? Wasn’t sure because the embarking time is so late. Assuming they will tell us when we need to be there for the muster drill?

Also, do you know if we would be able to check-on, board and drop things off in our room and then get off again to spend a few more hours in Barcelona without our luggage, etc?

Many thanks!

The Crown as in Princess? If so, you can board around lunchtime. They usually won’t let you on before 11 AM. They have graduated boarding. We always ignore it and board early. Your luggage may not get to your room so fast but you don’t have to wait for it to get there. My suggestion,get aboard early,find out what time the muster drill will take place, and then get back off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you will be able to board (usually beginning about noon. I don't know why, but Barcelona seems to run later than other ports), drop your stuff, have lunch if desired, then go out to explore the city.

Sorry, I can't address when the latest embarkation is allowed. If the ship is due to depart at 10, "all aboard" time will be 9 or 9:30 for those who are in transit or who have gone to explore the city.

I think you mean that the ship is scheduled to sail at 10pm. You should be able to check in around 11am with boarding shortly thereafter.

Once you board you are free to leave the ship at any time and go into Barcelona. Just make sure you return before the latest time which is normally posted in the Princess Patter and on a sign at the gangway.

On our Med cruise (X, not P though), pne interesting thing about EU cruises is that your clearance at embarkation/debarkation is focused on security without needing to do customs (since you're already within the EU). When we debarked in Athens we just walked off, collected bags, and headed to a taxi line (and was also easier because not everyone on the ship was debarking, unlike Caribbean itineraries).

Trade off is that certain items may not be for sale/duty-free in the gift shops since the cruise is an intra-EU sailing.

Save your receipts though, some items purchased in the EU are eligible for a VAT rebate. I got ~$50 refunded for food and clothing items we brought back ('16).