How many luggages do you carry and what size for land+cruise tours 14 days Alaska

jaitip

I will go for cruise tours this month for 14 days tours but things for packing are bulky like thick clothes. I pack for 2 people. I want to bring 2 of 28” luggages but i will be charged for extra size ( fly with Delta from Seattle to Fairbanks). Then i have to change to about 25-26” for two. Not sure if there will be enough room for that as i never use that size.

I bring not many clothes, just about6-8 pieces for sweater and 6-8 for pants just normal pants and the rest are like pajamas, heat-tech, socks,personal items a bit, etc. still find not enough for one big luggage. If i use 26” luggage , still maybe full up its space.

Not yet put shoes and down jacket on. Too many to pack. I also spend times in Seattle for 2days and in Vancouver for 3 days. Think to buy a new luggage in case I do much shopping but don’t want to have many luggages to fly with Delta before the trip begins. Also i have to carry all alone as my mom can’t do it. It might be hard at the airport but should be fine when already at the hotel.

What about you all? Do you reuse some clothes like 2-3 days for a dress. I will do but might wash some in the ship and hang out in my balcony.

Regarding flying with Delta, are they strict with the size of the checked luggage? In the web site, it states that h*w*l not exceed 157 cm or 62” but my luggage is 163 cm. Do you know how much they will charge for extra size? I cannot find that information even email for ask. There are only phone number, twitter, facebook but don’t know if it works there, feel it informal.

Sorry if you don’t understand my sentences well.

But please share.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring one carryon bag, no big luggage so I am not sure about big luggage. If you lay all your clothes flat and roll them, you should be able to fit a lot in. I fit 11-12 shirts, 3-4 pairs of pants, underwear in 1/2 a carryon and leave some space to bring things back. I buy a sweater or jacket as a souvenir sometimes and wear it home. Good luck

I bring one carryon bag, no big luggage so I am not sure about big luggage. If you lay all your clothes flat and roll them, you should be able to fit a lot in. I fit 11-12 shirts, 3-4 pairs of pants, underwear in 1/2 a carryon and leave some space to bring things back. I buy a sweater or jacket as a souvenir sometimes and wear it home. Good luck

That is enough on carry on bag? Oh surprise me. Maybe i need soft case as it is more flexible. Do you wash any clothes during the trip?

Thank you

What cruise line are you taking? If Holland America, they have good prices on laundry; either $7 per day ($49 for a 7 day cruise) or $20 for a bag you can fill up one time.

My current plan for my trip is one 26-inch bag and a smallish Vera Bradley tote bag as my carry-on. I am using travel vacuum space saver bags for my fleece tops and anything else fluffy to make them smaller (the kind where you squeeze out the air). If you can find anything like that in Thailand, you could use it for your down coat.

What cruise line are you taking? If Holland America, they have good prices on laundry; either $7 per day ($49 for a 7 day cruise) or $20 for a bag you can fill up one time.

My current plan for my trip is one 26-inch bag and a smallish Vera Bradley tote bag as my carry-on. I am using travel vacuum space saver bags for my fleece tops and anything else fluffy to make them smaller (the kind where you squeeze out the air). If you can find anything like that in Thailand, you could use it for your down coat.

Yes i will go with HAL. My clothes I prepare now should be enough for reuse ^^

I also have vacuum bags and will use for some clothes. But now not change to a new luggage yet, so do not know how it would be, still have many things to pack. Also i might buy some things when I am there for use in alaska trip. Like jacket and some shoes. They are much cheaper in my country.

Thank you.

Delta fees for oversized luggage are found here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/excess.html

It is written toward the bottom of the page. It says:

"Travel within/between United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands = $200 USD/CAD* for bags measuring 63–80 inches (161-203 cm) in combined length, width, and height.

Bags larger than 80 inches (203 cm) are not allowed."

I think you need to research new luggage so you don't pay that fee!

My family is also traveling for 14 days, with a cruise and land travel. We will each check one bag. Yes, we will definitely be wearing clothes several times. We do plan to do laundry at some point.

Doesn't your ship have laundry machines to use? or a laundry service ? It is probably cheaper to do a load of wash than pay the extra airline fees. Plus if you pack light it's less headaches when you have to move your luggage.

People tend to overpack for Alaska travel. Keep in mind that you are wearing layers. The layer next to your skin should be changed daily so you will need 7 or 8 tshirts (or whatever you wear for that layer). But the warmth layer which is the sweater or sweatshirt doesn't need to changed often. No one will notice OR care if you wear the blue sweater on Monday and again on Thursday and Saturday. So only pack 3 sweaters, and buy a sweatshirt as a souvenier. And why pack 8 pants ? Just pack 3 or 4 everyday pants plus a pr of black pants for dinner. Wear your bulkiest shoes to travel, then pack a pr of walking shoes and a pr of shoes for dinner. Just cut back and plan on doing a load of laundry.

I'm leaving soon for 2 weeks of land travel in Spain and Portugal. Just taking a carryon suitcase and my little backpack.

I'd rather do a load of wash than have to worry about how to manage several big suitcases, and I sure don't want to give any more money to the airlines ! Good luck

For two of us we take 3 suitcases. One will have the clothes that we will both only wear on the ship...you can wear the same clothes for both formal nights. Casual dressy for other nights in the dining room. The same shoes for both. Warm clothes for glacier day if you go outside.

Each person then has a suitcase for the land tour with shirts, pants, jacket, to layer. Also an extra pair of shoes and extra socks. Each person will also have a smaller bag or backpack for medical needs, camera, binoculars, snack, handbag, anything you need to have in your possession. I also carry a roll up rain jacket with me for the land tour since it can rain at any time.

You can do laundry when you get to the ship. There is a clothes line that you can pull across the bathtub in your stateroom that is good for light weight hand washables. Fill a laundry bag with your rolled up dirty laundry, fill out the paperwork, and leave it on your bed for your stateroom attendant to pick up. You will probably get your laundry back the next day. If you sail first the hotels should have laundry facilities. You can not dry your laundry on the balcony.

Airlines seem to be changing their luggage requirements so you need to check with the airlines about their requirements. That information should be online at the airline website or have your TA find out for you.

For two of us we take 3 suitcases. One will have the clothes that we will both only wear on the ship...you can wear the same clothes for both formal nights. Casual dressy for other nights in the dining room. The same shoes for both. Warm clothes for glacier day if you go outside.

Each person then has a suitcase for the land tour with shirts, pants, jacket, to layer. Also an extra pair of shoes and extra socks. Each person will also have a smaller bag or backpack for medical needs, camera, binoculars, snack, handbag, anything you need to have in your possession. I also carry a roll up rain jacket with me for the land tour since it can rain at any time.

You can do laundry when you get to the ship. There is a clothes line that you can pull across the bathtub in your stateroom that is good for light weight hand washables. Fill a laundry bag with your rolled up dirty laundry, fill out the paperwork, and leave it on your bed for your stateroom attendant to pick up. You will probably get your laundry back the next day. If you sail first the hotels should have laundry facilities. You can not dry your laundry on the balcony.

Airlines seem to be changing their luggage requirements so you need to check with the airlines about their requirements. That information should be online at the airline website or have your TA find out for you.

We are doing basically the same thing but no ship only suitcase.

I figure I can send laundry out once we get on the ship so that cuts down a lot on how much to pack.

1 suitcase each plus a carryon/backpack for everything else we need during the day.

I am skipping a purse this trip because I want to be hands free! Will just take a small wallet and everything else will go in a backpack compartment!

1 suitcase each plus a carryon/backpack for everything else we need during the day.

This is what my wife and I are doing. We're spending 10 days on land before the cruise and will likely do some laundry in Seward a day or two before boarding the ship.

This is what my wife and I are doing. We're spending 10 days on land before the cruise and will likely do some laundry in Seward a day or two before boarding the ship.

This is not a recommendation, but if you are driving yourself, supposedly there's a great laundromat in Girdwood. This is where we plan to do laundry.

http://www.girdwoodchamber.com/girdwood-laundry-showers/

This is not a recommendation, but if you are driving yourself, supposedly there's a great laundromat in Girdwood. This is where we plan to do laundry.

http://www.girdwoodchamber.com/girdwood-laundry-showers/

Yes, the laundramall in Girdwood !

And there's a laundromat downtown in Seward on 3rd or 4th called Suds and Swirls or something similar.

And there's a laundromat downtown in Seward on 3rd or 4th called Suds and Swirls or something similar.

This is the one we have planned. Appreciate the Girdwood suggestions, we will be there, but Seward works better since it's closer to the end of our land portion. Our travel company consultant also recommended a pizza place within walking distance of the Suds N Swirl so we have a pizza & laundry night scheduled (very Alaska vacation sounding, lol).

Thanks to both posters above!

Actually, we could use the one in Girdwood just one day sooner. It looks nice and we actually have more free time that day. We won't have a car but I'm sure we can find our way there from the Alyeska Resort where we're staying.

Thanks again!

Delta fees for oversized luggage are found here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/excess.html

It is written toward the bottom of the page. It says:

"Travel within/between United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands = $200 USD/CAD* for bags measuring 63–80 inches (161-203 cm) in combined length, width, and height.

Bags larger than 80 inches (203 cm) are not allowed."

I think you need to research new luggage so you don't pay that fee!

My family is also traveling for 14 days, with a cruise and land travel. We will each check one bag. Yes, we will definitely be wearing clothes several times. We do plan to do laundry at some point.

Thank you.

Sorry that I miss that info. But I also ask Delta via twitter, gotta apply twitter only for this^^

I will buy 26” 2 luggages , my mom and I load for each.

Doesn't your ship have laundry machines to use? or a laundry service ? It is probably cheaper to do a load of wash than pay the extra airline fees. Plus if you pack light it's less headaches when you have to move your luggage.

People tend to overpack for Alaska travel. Keep in mind that you are wearing layers. The layer next to your skin should be changed daily so you will need 7 or 8 tshirts (or whatever you wear for that layer). But the warmth layer which is the sweater or sweatshirt doesn't need to changed often. No one will notice OR care if you wear the blue sweater on Monday and again on Thursday and Saturday. So only pack 3 sweaters, and buy a sweatshirt as a souvenier. And why pack 8 pants ? Just pack 3 or 4 everyday pants plus a pr of black pants for dinner. Wear your bulkiest shoes to travel, then pack a pr of walking shoes and a pr of shoes for dinner. Just cut back and plan on doing a load of laundry.

I'm leaving soon for 2 weeks of land travel in Spain and Portugal. Just taking a carryon suitcase and my little backpack.

I'd rather do a load of wash than have to worry about how to manage several big suitcases, and I sure don't want to give any more money to the airlines ! Good luck

Yes I don’t want to pay that extra free for oversize or overweight luggages, just in case. Load more luggages are much cheaper anyway.

The base layer for my mom would be heat-tech, the second would be thick clothes and the third would be down coat. Do you think will that be ok? Will be too hot?

I pack a lot as I will be in US for 19 days, first three days in seattle with flying to Fairbanks, then do land tour 7 days which will move hotel along. I might wash the base layer if stay same hotel for 2 nights as I have only 3 heat -tech (base layer). After cruising I will stay 3 more days in Vancouver. Try to imagine a lot for how to manage clothes each day^^

For my 8 pants, gotta re-think again but my ones are not thick, quite thin. I will wear heat-tech pants as base layer. I don’t wear jeans usually, feel uncomfortable.

If my clothes are not suitable for the weather, I might buy more there.

I don’t have many clothes for winter as I do not have chance to use unless i travel to cold countries.

Thank you and enjoy your trip. I will depart from Thailand on 26th of May too.

Thank you for your advice.

I already got info from Delta via twitter just today.

Can i find some nice rain jacket or sweater or fleece easily along the trip i mean the cities which the tours go to? Like in Fairbanks, but I think i can find sure in anchorage if hotel near the department store. But i would also order online and send to the hotel in seattle. Just ask in case my parcel get lost.

Thank you again