Internet access available on way to Hawaii?

NoName

We are traveling to Hawaii from Vancouver on the Legend in September. Will we have internet availability while sailing to the islands? I want to purchase a package, but only if it will work:) Kim

The reason I asked was for some reason I was thinking their system relied on a hybrid system of satellite feeds that worked in conjunction with land links...and didn't know if satellite would work well enough on its own since the land links wouldn't be within reach. Anyone done a cruise to Hawaii from VAncouver on Carnival in the last couple of years?

The reason I asked was for some reason I was thinking their system relied on a hybrid system of satellite feeds that worked in conjunction with land links...and didn't know if satellite would work well enough on its own since the land links wouldn't be within reach. Anyone done a cruise to Hawaii from VAncouver on Carnival in the last couple of years?

Not sure what you mean, exactly, but the signal goes from the ship to the satellite, and from the satellite to a "land link" to connect to the internet. Typically, the satellite down link goes to the satellite communication company's servers which then use hard lines to connect to the internet.

Not sure what you mean, exactly, but the signal goes from the ship to the satellite, and from the satellite to a "land link" to connect to the internet. Typically, the satellite down link goes to the satellite communication company's servers which then use hard lines to connect to the internet.

So this would mean that speed will always be on the slow side?

So this would mean that speed will always be on the slow side?

Unless the ship uses the O3B satellite network, the major slowdown is latency time, or the time to send the signal up to the satellite and back to earth. The O3B satellites (RCI's Voom) are in low earth orbit, so the latency is greatly reduced. The other problem is that passenger internet piggybacks on the ship's business use of bandwidth (the ship's POS register sales, accounting, and maintenance and purchasing are all typically online to corporate 24/7).