Questions about reserving multiple cabins for a group

Later this year I hope to reserve multiple cabins for a family get together. We did this once before and had a blast. Three of the cabins would be for families with children.

The last time I did this all 4 cabins went on one reservation. I was able to favorably reprice when there was a “kids sail free” promo, but I was never able to take advantage of any promos for our cabin. We used a T/A, and repricing was an “all or none” deal.

This time I’m thinking of two reservations; one for the cabins with children, one for us. That way each can be repriced if / when the appropriate promo is underway.

I have a couple of questions (sorry for the long intro). Can I make and manage reservations for other families from my RCI account? If an opportunity to reprice arises and I call RCI, will they want to speak with the people cruising or the person responsible for the booking?

Also, can I have two separate reservations with different participants for the same cruise on my cruise planner?

First, there is one reservation per stateroom. If the previous experience gave you a different idea, that may have been due to how the travel agent explained it.

Second, you can manage multiple reservations if you know the reservation number, but you will have to tell Royal you are one of the guests on that other reservation, and may have to answer questions, like address, phone number, birthdate, etc.

First, there is one reservation per stateroom. If the previous experience gave you a different idea, that may have been due to how the travel agent explained it.

Second, you can manage multiple reservations if you know the reservation number, but you will have to tell Royal you are one of the guests on that other reservation, and may have to answer questions, like address, phone number, birthdate, etc.

Thanks. I understand one reservation per cabin, it also makes sense. I want to have one reservation for me, and a separate one for my children, and I want to book and manage that second reservation without any involvement by the kids - the other passengers. From your answer, it looks like this is possible.

You will need to "link" the reservations.

There is a place when you access your reservation where you can tie other reservations into yours. I can't remember all of the details that it requires at the least the reservation number and I am thinking the guest names of people in the other cabins.

As kknorr0320 stated, more or less stated you will turn yourself into the defacto TA.

Last year as a Med cruise developed with my in-laws initially aunts/uncles (which I love dearly), they initially hinted to me if I could take care of the details. In getting things organized for family functions, it is like herding cats. I wanted no part of that part of the planning. My wife understood.

I agreed to take care of me, my wife and my MIL plans (we would be flying in several days early). One of my wife's cousin took care of the the Aunt's/Uncles planning. My wife's cousin and her family also ended up taking the cruise along with another cousin and his family.

My wife's cousin and myself just coordinated the various plans, linking reservations etc.

So the short answer. beware of what you are volunteering to do. for you/husband and your kids fairly simple to manage. For extended parties it can be interesting.

Perhaps try another TA. I used a TA for my Anthem cruise, coordinating 3 cabins. She was able to link the reservations, and I could manage all 3 afterwards. I have a future cruise on Anthem, and she was able to reprice one of 2 cabins when KSF promo came out.

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarity, I intend to pay for all the reservations. I know I can book a reservations that includes us all, my question was can I book and pay for a reservation just for them that doesn’t include me? Common sense tells my “why not”, but based on the stories here at CC, there’s a fair amount that goes on with RCI that defies common sense. :)

I hadn’t thought about linking them, that’s an important tip.

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarity, I intend to pay for all the reservations. I know I can book a reservations that includes us all, my question was can I book and pay for a reservation just for them that doesn’t include me? Common sense tells my “why not”, but based on the stories here at CC, there’s a fair amount that goes on with RCI that defies common sense. :)

I hadn’t thought about linking them, that’s an important tip.

I did this for my upcoming cruise. My son and I are in one room, my daughter has her own room and my husband, brother and nephew are in a separate room. My husband and son plan on swapping on the ship. I was able to add, see and modify all three rooms through my account because the first guest on the reservation in each room has the same last name as mine.

Last year, we also had three rooms but because my brother has a different last name (my maiden name), and was listed as the first guest, I had to set up a separate account for him. As long as the first guest on each reservation has the same last name, you can add their reservation to your account. I believe that the reservations also need to be linked before you can add them to your account but I am not sure. I know that they need to be linked for dining, etc. so I would link them regardless.

I did this for my upcoming cruise. My son and I are in one room, my daughter has her own room and my husband, brother and nephew are in a separate room. My husband and son plan on swapping on the ship. I was able to add, see and modify all three rooms through my account because the first guest on the reservation in each room has the same last name as mine.

Last year, we also had three rooms but because my brother has a different last name (my maiden name), and was listed as the first guest, I had to set up a separate account for him. As long as the first guest on each reservation has the same last name, you can add their reservation to your account. I believe that the reservations also need to be linked before you can add them to your account but I am not sure. I know that they need to be linked for dining, etc. so I would link them regardless.

Thanks. In my situation, two parties have different last names. Sounds like it could be difficult.

What I'm most interested in doing isn't so much managing their onboard activities, it's being able to book and pay for the reservation, then when a sale appears, call RCI and ask for the sale price to be applied - all when my name does not appear as a guest.

You may already know this, but you'll have to link the reservations for all cabins that want to have dinner together. We use a TA and that way I just tell him what we need for all three cabins and he handles the "sticky" situations with RC if the arise, including price reductions.

I am currently managing 6 cabins for ourselves and our married children. I am working with a travel agent that I have worked with numerous times before. I am paying for all the cabins, and am watching for discounts, although the rate I got is already very good. The TA sends me all the confirmations so I can keep track of things and I send them on to the family members. The reservations are all linked with Royal Caribbean, and the kids will make all their own activity reservations.

There are other family members considering joining us on this cruise and will be paying their own way. I will not be monitoring their costs and rates unless they ask me to. We will link the reservations with Royal Caribbean.

Bottom line: Working with a trusted travel agent makes everything less stressful.