Ketchikan City Buses

jlp20

I've taken the city bus all the way out to Totem Bight and Walmart.

Here's the current schedule.

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/5420/Bus-Schedule-May-2018

My ship was at berth 2 that day but instead of getting on at Front & Dock street (closest to the ship) we walked up to Museum and Creek Street (stop 28) so we'd get a seat as the bus was stopping there first.

You can take the silver line bus for $2 (exact change only) and they run hourly. Going north towards Walmart, Totem Bight, etc. the pick up point is across street from Tongass Trading Co. at Front/Dock. We rode the bus this past Thursday to Totem Bight.

f57992372876c8192f88478a11fe7e6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What I noticed is that there are two stops for Totem and two for Saxman. I believe you get off at one and go back to another if you're going back to town, but I could be wrong. You can also take the free salmon bus to a point and then walk a short distance over to catch the silver line bus to Totem. Perhaps that's what kesstral mentioned. All that is on the schedules for the buses, but it took me a little while to figure out what my options were - and I'm still not positive I have it right! But there are tourist info kiosks/centers at the docks, so that should help me if I haven't figured out things by the time I get there!

Anyone know if a day pass can be purchased on the bus? I'm hoping to go to both Totem Bight and Saxman. Also, Anthony, is it true Totem Bight now costs $5 to get in?

Anybody go to Potlach Park while they were at Totem? I'm still trying to figure out how far it is from the totems in Totem Bight, or if it all just blends together into one park.

Edited by roothy123

Just talked to someone in Ketchikan about the bus system. I learned:

If you're going south (for example, to Saxman Village (totem park) on the silver line bus), keep in mind that the bus stop will be the one closest to the water. This means that at the port, it will be on same side as the water and cruise ships. If you're going north (Totem Bight, for example), you'll need to cross the street to catch the silver line northbound bus. On another post, someone helpfully posted a picture of the bus - marked nicely, with the price as well ($2). The same scheme applies to other buses, i.e., closer to water, bus will be going south.

There are 2 different bus stops for each totem park outside town (Saxman & Totem Bight). For each park, one bus stop is used for the silver northbound bus, and the other for the southbound bus. However, both are fairly close together, just not necessarily on the same street. I believe you can also catch these buses around the Creek Street/Museum area, although I don't know specific locations. There is a huge chart that has information on where each bus stops on the bus website. The silver line buses only run every 60 minutes so you should arrive at any stop 5 minutes early in case a bus gets there early.

You can buy a $5 day pass with cash from the silver line bus drivers.

It is possible to go from one park to another on the same silver bus, north or south. You'll need to look at the bus schedule for that: borough.ketchikan.ak.us/works/145/Transit

For 2018, the free shuttle bus ("salmon bus," running every 20 minutes around town) starts running daily on May 20 or 21 (forget which) but if a cruise ship is in town before that time, the free shuttle bus WILL be running. Among other places, it goes to the Totem Museum in town, Creek Street, and picks up at every cruise ship berth.

The bus website is very helpful, and the service provided in Ketchikan for tourists (city buses, plus federally-funded salmon buses) appears to be awesome. However, the bus schedules were a little confusing to me at first. Hopefully this additional information helps.

Depending on which side you go into the visitors center. One side is rows of tour operators trying to sell you a tour but other side is a small desk with helpful guides. You can also pick up a nice walking tour map here. We did the tour first thing and it took about 2 hrs and then we headed up to Totem Bight state park via the silver line and then straight back after an hour there. There is a nice gift shop and museum adjacent to the state park. It’s private and a few minutes walk from the bus stop. Just look for the tour buses and it’s on the other side. Alaska totem trading is what it’s called

Pick up ones of these maps!

dd10d2727f361163e546cf00064c8d5b.jpg

5f22842a4db2b84cea4ebe33b9ece508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums