Vaccinations for Caribbean Cruise?

Dljitx

Hi, myself and 3 other people are heading on a Caribbean Cruise in August and we would like to know what if any Vaccinations are needed.

We are heading to the following places:

Philipsburg - St Maarten

San Juan, Puerto Rico (Mexico) and

Labadee, Haiti

Thanks in advance, all help/information appreciated.

Yes, check CDC online - good travel health info. I’m betting you should have an updated tetanus, and that Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended. Zika is a concern if you are child-bearing age, but of course no vaccine for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, myself and 3 other people are heading on a Caribbean Cruise in August and we would like to know what if any Vaccinations are needed.

Philipsburg - St Maarten

Labadee, Haiti

Puerto Rico is 2,348 miles (3,779 km) east of Mexico. It is a territory of the USA and not Mexico.

There are no required vaccinations for your itinerary.

CDC.gov does list some recommended ones. I’m a family practice doctor and always recommend hepatitis A vaccine to anyone traveling out of main land U.S. If you have chronic health conditions, vaccines are more important. Check with your doctor at least a month before you leave.

Outside of the mainland USA? I am sure that our Canadian neighbors and other posters from other countries appreciate this statement.

If someone needs the Hep A and B vaccine , checking one month ahead of time will not be any good.

If you are a doctor, you know that to complete that series of three at least seven months is needed (shot one, shot two one month later, and shot three six months after shot two).

However, for the itinerary listed by the OP , there are no required vaccinations.

Philipsburg - St Maarten

Labadee, Haiti

No vaccines are required to cruise on MSC. "Puerto Rico (Mexico)"?! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I visit resorts or islands in the Caribbean 2-4 times a year by ship or air and I have yet to contract anything (someone in my party got Zika in DR though, I got lucky there). But, I would say to get the shots that CDC recommends if you don't have them and you're worried, but to be honest, just wear bug spray and stay out of wooded and foresty areas and you should be fine. Have fun!

Outside of the mainland USA? I am sure that our Canadian neighbors and other posters from other countries appreciate this statement.

If someone needs the Hep A and B vaccine , checking one month ahead of time will not be any good.

If you are a doctor, you know that to complete that series of three at least seven months is needed (shot one, shot two one month later, and shot three six months after shot two).

However, for the itinerary listed by the OP , there are no required vaccinations.

I should have clarified that I practice in the US and of course meant no offense to posters from any other countries. However, it is common practice to recommend Hepatitis A vaccine to US residents who frequently travel out of the country. Hep A vaccine has two doses, and has nothing to do with Hep B. One dose of Hep A vaccine does in fact offer some immunity, especially if given at least 3-4 weeks prior to travel. There ARE recommended vaccinations for the OP’s itinerary posted at cdc.gov. While most people don’t bother, if the OP is concerned, it’s reasonable to get them - especially with continued post-hurricane conditions.

I should have clarified that I practice in the US and of course meant no offense to posters from any other countries. However, it is common practice to recommend Hepatitis A vaccine to US residents who frequently travel out of the country. Hep A vaccine has two doses, and has nothing to do with Hep B. One dose of Hep A vaccine does in fact offer some immunity, especially if given at least 3-4 weeks prior to travel. There ARE recommended vaccinations for the OP’s itinerary posted at cdc.gov. While most people don’t bother, if the OP is concerned, it’s reasonable to get them - especially with continued post-hurricane conditions.

Good advice. The more I read the more I think everyone should have the Hep shots whether leaving the USA or not. We've followed the CDC recommendations and have been glad we did.

Good advice. The more I read the more I think everyone should have the Hep shots whether leaving the USA or not. We've followed the CDC recommendations and have been glad we did.

The hepatitis A and B immunizations are recommended childhood immunizations. Many states will require them before a child starts school. I do not remember when the immunizations started. My daughter who was born in 1983, did not have them as an infant but did need to have them when the state (Maryland) needed to play catch up with older children. Maybe high school or college?

The interesting thing is that she did not need the hep A immunization, only B, because she had a blood test from when she was 10 that showed the hep A antibody from a severe"stomach virus" outbreak at her elementary school. I became highly suspicious of the timing and symptoms of the virus, so I asked her pediatrician to order the titer. It came back as positive and the proper authorities did follow up at the school.

While the hepatitis B vaccination may be looked upon as only necessary for people with certain lifestyles or habits, the fact is that anyone can be put at risk during medical procedures or other contact.

Yes, there are screening tests for blood given for transfusions, but things do happen or the infection may be so new that the antibody titer is too low for detection.