CocoCay snorkeling

Anyone who has snorkeled recently at Cococay, do they require you to wear a vest?

I have my own gear, but need to know if I'll need to rent a vest or if it is provided.

I've read on these boards that the snorkeling is good off the beach.

Hope so..going there year after next....I've never been but always take along my snorkeling gear to Labadee. Noone ever said anything about a vest there. I just wear my snorkel and flippers and have a great time looking at fish along the rocks to the left side of Barefoot Beach.

Anyone who has snorkeled recently at Cococay' date=' do they require you to wear a vest?

I have my own gear, but need to know if I'll need to rent a vest or if it is provided.

I've read on these boards that the snorkeling is good off the beach.[/quote']

There was a sign that said vest required. But, even though we had vests, I did see folks without them on. Snorkeling was amazing around the sunken objects, according to hubby. I did not make it out that far due to an injured knee.

Not sure if this counts but I was there in Jan. and I did have to use one. I've been fortunate to have gotten to the island 8 times now. And all the other times I've had to pay to rent one. But this year I didn't. They were FREE so I got to save the $10 I think :) Here is a video I made in Jan. The water was the roughest I've been in. It was rainy and the current was crazy strong. You can tell by the sea grass in my video. But if you want to see some really cool video's YouTube Coco Cay! Happy Sailing!!!!

Anyone who has snorkeled recently at Cococay' date=' do they require you to wear a vest?

I've not seen them enforcing the vest requirement lately. Also, the last time we went there, the vests were free to use.

Not sure if this counts but I was there in Jan. and I did have to use one. I've been fortunate to have gotten to the island 8 times now. And all the other times I've had to pay to rent one. But this year I didn't. They were FREE so I got to save the $10 I think :) Here is a video I made in Jan. The water was the roughest I've been in. It was rainy and the current was crazy strong. You can tell by the sea grass in my video. But if you want to see some really cool video's YouTube Coco Cay! Happy Sailing!!!!

What were you using to record the video?? It was very crisp and nice.

Great video! Thanks! How far off shore where you? Just to confirm this is just off the beach right? Not through an excursion?

You may get conflicting info, I snorkeled several times without one.

Great video! Thanks! How far off shore where you? Just to confirm this is just off the beach right? Not through an excursion?

Thank You! I just walked off the beach and into the water. There are some platforms out in the water and LifeGaurds out there also. To the right at 3 o'clock about 200yd. is the half concrete ship haul. At 12 o'clock again about 200yd. are two downed planes. And last, off to the left about 200yd. is where the rocks are. That is where the sting rays were. Hope this helps.