Is it ok to use US dollars to tip bartenders onboard Mediterranean cruise?

SoDakMinnie

I go to the bank and order 2.00 bills in advance of leaving for the cruise( usually can have in a week), by the third day we are known as the 2.00 bill couple lol, our drinks never run dry and should I buy a drink for a performer, (more so on carnival at piano bar) although I am 100% willing and planning to pay for the drink, (drinks for others not included in drink package) I have never had to. They just add it to my package for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes we've done that as well. We do the fold them into intricate origami pieces, how about you? Same? Or no?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes we've done that as well. We do the fold them into intricate origami pieces, how about you? Same? Or no?

No on the origami creatures lol but I like the twist you put on it, it is funny how many people are willing to tell us what is wrong or right, I have been giving out these bills for seven or eight cruises, never had an issue but lots of people who are nothing more than speculators sure have a problem with it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time I went fire sale cabin and bought my own drinks. I guarantee you- a folded bill held up with the cruise card will get you served first. Did you already pay your bar tip? Yup- as did the other 1000 people on board who took the bar package and are all standing around the bar looking for their unlimited drinks. Who does the bartender go to first? The person with cash money intended for them. Also- pro tip- if you are paying for your own drinks and have a cash tip for the bartender, you will get a double pour. Or, half price cocktails.

Last time I went fire sale cabin and bought my own drinks. I guarantee you- a folded bill held up with the cruise card will get you served first. Did you already pay your bar tip? Yup- as did the other 1000 people on board who took the bar package and are all standing around the bar looking for their unlimited drinks. Who does the bartender go to first? The person with cash money intended for them. Also- pro tip- if you are paying for your own drinks and have a cash tip for the bartender, you will get a double pour. Or, half price cocktails.

Odd that I've not noticed this. Every time I go to a bar I'm served in the order that I pulled up at the bar, if I'm sat with an empty glass in front of me I'm always asked if I want a refill. The service is always great and always with a smile and maybe if the bars not too busy, a bit of conversation. I have never had to surreptitiously filter $1 to the barman.

I have a question about half price cocktails too. How do you know? NCL's tills work on the premise that the bartender enters the type of drink and the amount for that drink is billed to your stateroom. Does he only enter for half a cocktail? Do you run as quickly as possible to your stateroom, stopping only to wave dollar bills at your "priority" elevator, as soon as you can turn your TV on and check that your account was only charged for half a cocktail.

If people feel they want to tip the barstaff because they enjoyed the service then that's OK with me, it becomes a problem when people think they are tipping for better service. If they got better service then it really would be a problem.

be careful of using 2 dollar bills. because they are so rare to most people and business, they are sometimes not accepted as legal currency. Regular ole 1 dollar bills is a safer

I have used $2 dollar bills for years and never has anyone refused to take it. I admit that some people have given me strange looks,But I always assure them that it’s ok.

Odd that I've not noticed this. Every time I go to a bar I'm served in the order that I pulled up at the bar, if I'm sat with an empty glass in front of me I'm always asked if I want a refill. The service is always great and always with a smile and maybe if the bars not too busy, a bit of conversation. I have never had to surreptitiously filter $1 to the barman.

I have a question about half price cocktails too. How do you know? NCL's tills work on the premise that the bartender enters the type of drink and the amount for that drink is billed to your stateroom. Does he only enter for half a cocktail? Do you run as quickly as possible to your stateroom, stopping only to wave dollar bills at your "priority" elevator, as soon as you can turn your TV on and check that your account was only charged for half a cocktail.

If people feel they want to tip the barstaff because they enjoyed the service then that's OK with me, it becomes a problem when people think they are tipping for better service. If they got better service then it really would be a problem.

I think people are getting caught up in the words “better service”. It’s really pretty simple and translates to land based bars as well. Tipping the bartender or server simply makes them pay attention to you more. I will repeat one of my last examples. I’m laying out at the pool and a server comes over, I order a drink. Server returns with the drink and I provide a tip. This specific server will repeatedly come back often to see if I need a refill. I am not saying that they don’t make their normal rounds but they certainly check on me more frequently. This is standard protocol at any bar. Not just on ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You are the kind of guest I love..... Because as soon as I see that and/ or video on my phone, it is over. Off to demand a meeting with the Hotel Director and get it explain why the line puts bribery above guests who have already paid the contract in full, loop the Cruise Line Corporate Office and my representative in and things change very fast.

If the cruise line preforms and follows the legal contract we will have no problems. But break and they will and have felt the pain of trying to not follow the terms.

wow. Funny- I will soon sail again and I found in the FAQs the following:

all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them

I interpret that as it is just fine for me to offer a dollar bill with my sail card and for them to accept it. If they are looking at a sea of guests who all want a sailaway cocktail at the pool bar and happen to either serve me towards the front of that group or give me a strong drink, that's exceptional service in my book and I am fine with offering a cash gratuity.

I understand you might not be and that is your right as well, but it seems excessive to spend part of your vacation hunting down the Hotel Director to ask why a bartender accepted a cash gratuity that their rules say it is perfectly ok for them to do. And videotaping staff performance looking for service errors? Not my idea of a vacation, but YMMV.

For the other poster who asked about my "half priced drinks" comment- I have paid for every drink I have ever ordered at the bar. They were properly rung up on the register as the correct cocktail at the correct price. But, if a bartender gave me a strong pour (by my standards) and I chose to only purchase one drink instead of considering a second...aka double pour or half price cocktails.

I think people are getting caught up in the words “better service”. It’s really pretty simple and translates to land based bars as well. Tipping the bartender or server simply makes them pay attention to you more. I will repeat one of my last examples. I’m laying out at the pool and a server comes over, I order a drink. Server returns with the drink and I provide a tip. This specific server will repeatedly come back often to see if I need a refill. I am not saying that they don’t make their normal rounds but they certainly check on me more frequently. This is standard protocol at any bar. Not just on ships.

I think you forgot the words 'in the US', this behaviour may be standard protocol in the US but not in the UK and many other parts of the world. When you tip the waiter do ask him to give some of that tip to the barman? As far as I know the waiter returns to the bar and the barman prepares the drinks. If the bar is full of people directly tipping the barman, then the waiter you tipped may still have to wait a while for your drinks to be prepared. ;)

To the person who was on about half price cocktails. I would say that a strong pour in a cocktail will give that cocktail a completely different taste, and surely your tipped barman would be foolish to stop you considering a second drink and therefore halving his tips. :confused:

I think you forgot the words 'in the US', this behaviour may be standard protocol in the US but not in the UK and many other parts of the world. When you tip the waiter do ask him to give some of that tip to the barman? As far as I know the waiter returns to the bar and the barman prepares the drinks. If the bar is full of people directly tipping the barman, then the waiter you tipped may still have to wait a while for your drinks to be prepared. ;)

To the person who was on about half price cocktails. I would say that a strong pour in a cocktail will give that cocktail a completely different taste, and surely your tipped barman would be foolish to stop you considering a second drink and therefore halving his tips. :confused:

Yes, this is how it works in the US as the ships works just like a US business. And yes, in the US in a land based bar/restaurant the waiter does tip out the bartender and they have dedicated areas for the waiter to order/pickup the drinks. It’s called the service bar. Many places will even have a dedicated bartender just for the service bar.