The Beautiful Eurodam and My Princess Comparison

Of course you are absolutely right about this. Perhaps it's the cruisers who haven't been around HAL very long who don't recognize the tremendous decrease in daytime activities compared to what we used to have.

There was a time I was busy with offered activities from one end of the day to the other, with barely time for lunch. And many times there was more than one offering that I wanted to attend at the same time. It was choices!, choices!!, choices!!!

But sadly, that was a time when passengers were different, too. It isn't just HAL that has changed. That was when passengers wanted to get out of their cabins and meet new people. They wanted to participate in everything the ship had to offer, and not stay with the insular little group they already knew.

Que: Barbara Strisand's Memories:

Yes, Ruth, your comments are correct. Remembering my early cruise experiences, it was GO, GO, GO and do as much as I could (while still trying to find some deck chair time which I enjoyed as well). That was then; this is now. While I still enjoy being active--and interactive with my fellow guests--during a cruise, I don't want, nor would I be a participant, in lots of planned activities. I find today's HAL's daily activities fit me. Maybe with this new EXC Concept, we will be experiencing more interesting on-board presentations that have been missing, somewhat, in the more recent past. That would be a significantly positive addition to the on-board program, I think.

We were on a recent 2 day segment of the canal transit repo cruise. I was surprised that there were no lectures. It's been a few years, but I know HAL used to have excellent presenters. We've been doing transatlantic crossings on Cunard recently (ALL sea days) and consider the enrichment program to be a highlight of the experience. (And port shopping lecture shills don't count)

I was also doing lots of comparisons, in my case with Cunard, and HAL fared very well. In short:

The variety of food choices in the dining room was greater than that on the QM2 and drinks were more generous and cheaper. Buffet was also superior to the mess that is Kings Court (but find Princess generally is the line to beat in this regard). I found the aggressive co-branding to be startling (I was expecting to see a "Kohler Experience" plaque above the commode in the cabin) - but also effective. The America's Test Kitchen demo was filled with genuine tips and in a format that (true to ATK) can be replicated throughout the fleet, and the BB King revue was the best dance band I've seen on 30 cruises. One small thing that HAL has maintained and really should be done on Cunard cruises - I really like the terrycloth hand towels in the public toilets.

I found the reconfigured Crow's Nest to be an ill-fitted combo. The cafe area is cold and sterile and I think they were still figuring out how to staff it.

As always, the genuine warmth of the HAL crew make walking on their ships like returning home.

Edited by MarkBearSF

It's not just comparative reports. Some people don't want to post anything for fear of being attacked by the same bunch of posters. Someone was vilified on a thread the other day because she wrote that people on her cruise were older than those she had seen on other cruises. Unbelievable. I wouldn't blame her if she never returned to the HAL board. It certainly doesn't leave a good impression about the folks who cruise HAL.

I’m not sure how to word this. We’ve met very nice people on actual HAL cruises. But some dominant posters here are unkind and intolerant of anyone with opinions that fall short of cheerleading.

Hear. Hear. I've basically stopped posting reviews on this site because of some of the mean spirited replies. But since we are not specifically "loyal" to one particular line, I have noticed this on other cruise line boards as well. A review or post is based on one persons view or observations. There is no reason to jump on them cause it's different than yours.

I’m not sure how to word this. We’ve met very nice people on actual HAL cruises. But some dominant posters here are unkind and intolerant of anyone with opinions that fall short of cheerleading.

Said it before and imma saying it again: opinions are like a certain part of the anatomy-everyone has one.

Unfortunately it has to be said multiple times and never does get through to the right people.