Bravo Bravo Bravo called on Symphony

Navigator sends security to investigate if a smoke detector goes off as they get about 15 fire alarms a day . Mostly the cook setting it off in the galley or a guest is using a hair dryer to close to the sensor . It would get annoying if bravo was called for every one. Grand princess has buzzers in all hallways that goes off and they call first stage response for every detector activation

I was told the same by the Staff Captain Aboard Freedom regarding the fire alarms received on the bridge. I was having an informal chat with her on the Promenade and asking her about life on the bridge, and she mentioned it. I don’t remember the exact number, but I was surprised at first but when you come to think of the size of the ship, it’s definitely believable. So you’re saying Princess has an alarm that goes off in guest areas every single time a detector is tripped? Interesting, never heard of that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I believe in looking at the map, Deck 2 Zone 7 is under the MDR galleys near the provisions store and aft of the crew quarters and I-95. I have heard them drill there several times on Oasis class ships, maybe because it is a convenient place for that. They also seem to pick a stairwell for a fire simulation, maybe to see how it affects evacuations? Just a guess.

That makes sense. I am fairly sure this was only a drill, and in the slim chance that it wasn’t, it seems as though it was handled quickly if it were a real situation. Supposedly these incidents happen more often than we think, but are handled swiftly so they don’t make headlines.

I have a lot of peace of mind with their training, and their preparedness has shown in the emergencies that have taken place, such as the Freedom fire in 2015. I was on the ship at the end of March and our MDR server mentioned how she’d been onboard for several years, I asked her about the fire and being there firsthand and she said she felt that it was handled perfectly. Your theory makes perfect sense, and you’re very welcome, but I give all the credit to the user who originally posted that diagram on another thread some time ago!

Was on Oasis back in April and they did a “surprise” drill right during dinner time. It was a Bravo Bravo Bravo call and we could see the looks on the crews faces as they scrambled to what they believed was the real deal. Even the wait staff dropped what they were doing. We saw a crew member in his Bingo attire running down a flight of stairs mumbling that “this isn’t happening!”. About 5 mins later the captain came on the PA system and announced that it was an “unannounced drill” to make sure they were properly prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about this - I am part of a cruise community on the live streaming app Periscope, and one of the members of our group was on your sailing and came on the live stream before he heard what was going on, and thought there was a real emergency, and I could tell in his voice that he was worried - I would be too. He came back on later with the update that it was a surprise drill. IIRC, he said the location they responded to was Deck 3 port side. I’ve never ever heard of a surprise drill taking place on any ship, but it’s smart to keep the crew on their toes, Royal really does go the extra mile when it comes to safety!

On Vision in the fall of 2016, we had an actual Bravo, Bravo, Bravo and even though I didn’t know what Bravo meant at that time, I knew it was an actual fire because of the subsequent announcements about which teams were to respond where - apparently something in the engine room or something, the Captain announced it was out a bit later. We later also had an Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, which turned out to be an empty life vest floating in the Adriatic, which happened on a sea day so we all watched the little boat zipping out to investigate.

I heard about this - I am part of a cruise community on the live streaming app Periscope, and one of the members of our group was on your sailing and came on the live stream before he heard what was going on, and thought there was a real emergency, and I could tell in his voice that he was worried - I would be too. He came back on later with the update that it was a surprise drill. IIRC, he said the location they responded to was Deck 3 port side. I’ve never ever heard of a surprise drill taking place on any ship, but it’s smart to keep the crew on their toes, Royal really does go the extra mile when it comes to safety!

I was also on that Oasis cruise, and the drill was a bit unsettling because we were at sea when it happened. Captain Claus, who is new to the ship, later explained that he wanted to see how the crew responded to a more realistic emergency drill.

I'm glad that they are doing those drills, but it rattled a lot of nerves. Our stateroom attendant, who has been on Oasis class ships for years, took it in stride but she was still surprised by it. A crew member working in the Tiffany store told us that it was her first week ever aboard a cruise ship and she freaked out because she was sleeping at the time. It was a bravo call that escalated to oscar pretty quickly. When that happened I saw the Flowrider crew shut down the water and go running off to their stations in a flash. It was all over in less than 15 minutes though.