Baltic Currency

rte

Anything we purchased from tourist shops on tours they were happy to accept dollars.

We did a private tour and anything small outside museums for drinks etc our guide was happy to purchase it and we paid her dollars at the end of the day.

Its been a few years since we did our Baltic cruise but I seem to recall that you couldn't get rubels in the UK (in our case) prior to leaving but we didn't need them.

Enjoy your cruise, its a great experience!

It's my understanding that it is "illegal" for a merchant to accept foreign money. With that being said, many will and "exchange" it on your behalf, just to get the sales, but the reality is, you should always use local currency. As an example, tour groups, now post that they must do the transaction in rubles if you are paying while in Russia, and they can only accept Rubles for payment. However, on a side note, they say, you could give them tips in Euro's or USD. It is also my understanding they have been getting stricter with this so if you are given advise from a few years ago, I wouldn't hold my breath it is still valid today.

I make use of credit cards mostly, and always carry small amounts of local cash.