Anyone cruises out of Singapore?

We’re planning on doing a big trip the end of next year. U.K. to Sydney for a few days, then a two week cruise around NZ (Ovation possibly). Then 3 weeks seeing Australia and staying with wife’s family for a few days whilst there. On the way back we would like to do a cruise around the Far East. We’ve a daughter who will be 3 when we go.

We originally looked at a Celebrity cruise out of Singapore to Sri Lanka, Goa and India ending in Dubai. I asked on the forum and the general response I got was ‘would you really consider taking a 3 yr on that cruise?’

Now I’m looking at one on Quantum out of Singapore for a week taking in Malaysia and Phuket. Our thinking with this and the Celebrity was that we’d get to see a few places we’d never otherwise get to do with a 3 year old.

Has anyone done this? Is taking a 3 year old an issue? Is any different than going on a Caribbean cruise (I did loads of them with my boys when they were 2 and 3)?

I did read quite a negative review on a cruise out of there but that’s just 1 review. Any input appreciated.

I can't answer as far as taking a 3 year old (my kids are now in their twenties) but have taken one cruise out of Singapore (on Celebrity) which also called into Malaysia and Phuket and a few cruises which called into Singapore. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do it, in fact I think you have exactly the right attitude in getting to cruise to these places before you're unable to do it because of school holidays.

To those who say why would you take a child on a cruise from there ask them why. Have they done it before and had problems? Or is it just a narrow view of travelling to 'far flung' places with kids. Right from the start we always travelled overseas with our kids - albeit only in Europe - and even then had people saying I wouldn't travel abroad with them so young :rolleyes:

Singapore is a great city to spend time in and to cruise from. It will be different from a Caribbean cruise as they are very geared to the US market - IMHO it's not a bad thing to have that difference!. Your little one will be welcomed and spoiled everywhere. And another consideration is that a cruise in this region will probably have very few children (unless you travel in a holiday period) so if she will go into the kids club she will have almost one on one attention or any other children in the club will probably be around the same age.

I would say go for it if you have the opportunity.

Thanks Bobal that’s very helpful.

I’ve done the U.S. the Caribbean and Europe loads of times as well as parts of Africa. Never been further east than Dubai due to having children (19 and 17 now) and now I’ve got under 2 I figure it’s now or years away. End of next year she’ll be 3 1/2 and that’s summer down under and our winter so ideal as she will be in school the year after.

I’m expecting the children’s club to be quiet but would hope that there are some children for her to mix with.