May 22, 2018 Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - Wristband question!!

Hey there. I am sailing RCCL Harmony of the Seas January 2019. I was watching YouTube videos and I noticed passengers wearing wristbands.

Does anyone know if the wristbands are in lieu of the ship cards now and are they GPS enabled?

Are they for newer ships or for a select few?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

The wristbands, known as WOWbands, are supplemental to the SeaPass card and can be used in conjunction. They serve all the same functions as the card, with the exception of getting on and off the ship. You must have your SeaPass card with you on the gangway. As far as I know, they are not GPS enabled. They are available to everyone for $4.95 (free for Star Class guests) and come in four colors: blue, yellow, black and white, the color you get depends on your muster station. They are available on Harmony and all 3 Quantum Class - not sure if Symphony too, but I would imagine so. I hope I was able to answer your questions! You will love Harmony!

Here is my SeaPass card and WOWband from my April 2017 cruise on Harmony:f43dc49683dacec85b6d213299bcb784.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would guess they are not GPS enabled as there is no reason for them to be. They are just used for opening your room and making purchaces which just requires a rfid chip, just what is in the room card.

Had to think of a second why you need the room card to get off the ship and back. It is for the local port security, they need to match the name on the card with the photo id you are carrying to let you back into the port area. Obviously the Wowbands don't have that.

I would guess they are not GPS enabled as there is no reason for them to be. They are just used for opening your room and making purchaces which just requires a rfid chip, just what is in the room card.

Had to think of a second why you need the room card to get off the ship and back. It is for the local port security, they need to match the name on the card with the photo id you are carrying to let you back into the port area. Obviously the Wowbands don't have that.

That’s a great point. I guess I had never really put any thought as to why WOWbands don’t function on the gangway, but now it makes perfect sense. I think WOWbands are extremely convenient!

The wristbands, known as WOWbands, are supplemental to the SeaPass card and can be used in conjunction. They serve all the same functions as the card, with the exception of getting on and off the ship. You must have your SeaPass card with you on the gangway. As far as I know, they are not GPS enabled. They are available to everyone for $4.95 (free for Star Class guests) and come in four colors: blue, yellow, black and white, the color you get depends on your muster station. They are available on Harmony and all 3 Quantum Class - not sure if Symphony too, but I would imagine so. I hope I was able to answer your questions! You will love Harmony!

Here is my SeaPass card and WOWband from my April 2017 cruise on Harmony:f43dc49683dacec85b6d213299bcb784.jpg

Following up on my previous post, I will also add that due to the RFID chip, the SeaPass cards on Harmony cannot be punched for lanyards. Luckily, since the WOWbands serve all the same purposes with the exception of getting on and off the ship, if you leave your room to go somewhere else on the ship (I.e. dinner, the pool, a show, etc., anything that doesn’t require you to go ashore), you can simply leave the card in your stateroom. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you both for your input! I truly appreciate it!

I know in the children's secure area on Disney cruises (I think it's called the Oceaneer Club), the child has a band theu wear and it gives you an exact location of your child. I did not know if it was the same concept.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

An important safety note about the WowBands:

All children 12 and under who use the WowBand will have to wear two wristbands, with one of them being issued from youth services. In the event of an emergency, children participating in youth activities will be taken to a designated assembly area (this will vary from ship to ship). The children will be divided into the appropriate groups according to their muster station by the Youth Staff. During an emergency situation, the parents should collect their own life jackets and their child's life jacket from their stateroom and proceed directly to their muster station. The Youth Staff will deliver all children to their parents' muster stations according to their muster station wristbands.

The question is what happens if the child does not wear the muster station wristband that they were provided from youth services during an emergency.

1 hour ago, j4lambert said:

The question is what happens if the child does not wear the muster station wristband that they were provided from youth services during an emergency.

The staff will have a way to figure out where the kid is supposed to go. 

10 minutes ago, j4lambert said:

All children 12 and under who use the WowBand will have to wear two wristbands, with one of them being issued from youth services. In the event of an emergency, children participating in youth activities will be taken to a designated assembly area (this will vary from ship to ship). The children will be divided into the appropriate groups according to their muster station by the Youth Staff. During an emergency situation, the parents should collect their own life jackets and their child's life jacket from their stateroom and proceed directly to their muster station. The Youth Staff will deliver all children to their parents' muster stations according to their muster station wristbands.

The wristband that the youth services staff provide is not designed to be removed. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

The wristband that the youth services staff provide is not designed to be removed. 

Thank you for the clarification. 

6 minutes ago, j4lambert said:

Thank you for the clarification. 

Just FYI.....life jackets are no longer in the cabins, but are kept at the lifeboats, so you and your children would just proceed to your muster stations. 

Edited by GTO-Girl