RC Food Quality

I was on the Freedom las november, she had just finished her transatlantic and we were her first caribbean cruise of the season. The specialty restaurants were beyond amazing, best I've ever seen then. The buffet and MDR were poor, poor enough to turn us off completely.

Seriously, what happened to the good old days of skipping lunch in port, because the food was so good and cheap on the ship? Now we have to get takeout in port, and try and sneak it onto the ship. :rolleyes:

This is hilarious!!! Who goes back to the ship for just for lunch while in port?

We have been cruising since the 1980's (when the food was great) and have never done this.

Too much work and time wasted; we also travel to experience places/food other than where we came from.

Usually there are really good low cost places to eat in every port.

For us it is never about the food; but about the experiences. :)

Safe cruising all!

Are you not complaining? If you don't like it, stay off cruise critic, or don't click on food themed threads. I don't know what you thought this site was all about, but people are going to critique changes, compare ships and other lines, food included.

So you are getting still getting a good deal at $599, of course that's true! Some of us would rather pay $750, and have these cruise lines keep up with inflation and dining quality, which is also a good deal. Don't blame us for liking a product that RCL used to offer, without getting upset :mad: at them for even offering it.

Very funny post; no company can offer a product at good quality at the same price when the basic 'cost' of the product has increased. No matter what it is.

It appears that naïve cruisers think they can get the same quality for the same costs as 20 years ago. Pay for it at the current rate or don't buy the product or don't cruise.

Complaining as such, makes people look like a grumpy old man who has not been out of his house for 20 years! :cool:

I think it is reasonable that if cruise fare’s have gone down, adjusted for inflation, then somethings must be cut back. What is not reasonable, in my opinion, is for specialty dining prices to be so high but the quality there to be going down. This is just my opinion based on the last four or five cruises that I’ve taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is reasonable that if cruise fare’s have gone down, adjusted for inflation, then somethings must be cut back. What is not reasonable, in my opinion, is for specialty dining prices to be so high but the quality there to be going down. This is just my opinion based on the last four or five cruises that I’ve taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that they are not a good value in my opinion, but as long as people continue to book them, the prices will go higher. It all comes down to supply and demand.

We have sailed on 3 Carnival ships and the food was different on each. From basic cafeteria quality to very good. Magic, Fantasy and Pride in that order with Pride being best EXCEPT for their scrambled eggs. Something not right going on there. HA! We sailed Royal's Grandeur this past October and the food blew Carnival's away. I honestly did not eat one thing in the MDR that was not good. And some things were outstanding. The buffet in the mornings and at lunch was very very good. And the desserts anywhere far surpassed the ones on Carnival anywhere- that look so pretty but do not taste as good as they look.

So, seems as though the general consensus would probably be somewhere around a 3.5 out of 5. In short, don't expect five-star, but you'll find decent edible food. Would everyone agree?

In my experience, and taking into account complimentary vs. fee offerings as well as availability times, I'd give Royal about a 3.

Much depends on the ships being compared: an Oasis-class will have more food variety than, say, an unmodernized Fantasy-class, but a Vista-class will have more complimentary offerings than Empress, Majesty or Royal's other smaller ships.

Caveat: my recent Royal experiences have been on a full-ship charter, and it's possible they reduced their food offerings and quality for that particular audience...whereas my Carnival experiences have been on Conquest-class ships with the FunShip 2.0 upgrades, and the Vista.

Room Service - yes it costs $8 per order but it beat the heck out of the other choices. The Philly steak sandwich (while not totally authentic because there is no whiz), was very good - tender pieces of beef with onions and peppers and a big gooey pile of cheese. .

This Philly boy, and many Philly cheesesteak lovers, cringe at the thought of whiz on a cheesesteak being "authentic". An authentic cheesesteak has real cheese (provolone or American.)

The cheesesteak existed long before the invention of whiz. Generations of Philadelphians grew up without whiz on cheesesteaks. Pat's started using whiz as a way to quickly serve the lines of tipsy customers after the bars closed. Across the street Geno's recommends provolone.

Some younger folks may dispute this, but that is a Philadelphia debate only topped by the debate over who makes the best cheesesteak. (hint: It is not Pat's of Geno's)

In my experience, and taking into account complimentary vs. fee offerings as well as availability times, I'd give Royal about a 3.

Much depends on the ships being compared: an Oasis-class will have more food variety than, say, an unmodernized Fantasy-class, but a Vista-class will have more complimentary offerings than Empress, Majesty or Royal's other smaller ships.

Caveat: my recent Royal experiences have been on a full-ship charter, and it's possible they reduced their food offerings and quality for that particular audience...whereas my Carnival experiences have been on Conquest-class ships with the FunShip 2.0 upgrades, and the Vista.

Good to know. Just booked our first RC cruise last night, and I know we'll miss the burgers and Blue Iguana tacos on Carnival, but we're going to try to go in with an open mind on RC...

Based on our Adventure cruise we completed 5/5/18 and our HOTS cruise we completed July of 2017, our Food and Dinning experience gets a rating of 4. That includes MDR, WJ, Room Service, Solarium Bistro, and the various Cafes available on each ship. We didn't partake in any pay for specialty venues.

Sent from my 5049W using Forums mobile app

We recently returned from a May 3 night cruise on Enchantment. I was very disappointed with the food. The waiters and service was great in MDR and Windjammer. The food was not very good at all. I didn’t like the simplified menu and the deserts were pretty bland.

Recently returned from Majesty of the Seas. Food and Buffet were fair at best. Usually we look forward to meal time and always go to check out the dinner menu in advance. Not on this cruise. While the waiters did their best the plating and quality left a lot to be desired and the buffets were fair and not laid out in any particular order. Yes I would prefer to pay more for RCL and let them up their quality.

We’re on the Oasis now and decided for the balance of this cruise and all future RCI cruises to forgo the MDR. Even the Windjammer has more options, quicker (self) service and more flexibility in general.

We’ll probably do a combination of specialty and Windjammer. But, the MDR is out for the time being.

It’s a shame that such mediocre or just plain bad meals are served in such nice dining rooms.

RCI Food is always better than School Cafeteria or US Army food!

We have never had a problem finding something to eat which we enjoyed in either the MDR or the Windjammer.

Military food... coming soon to a Windjammer near you: Chipped Beef on Toast, or as us Vets call it: Sh*t on a Shingle. Also coming soon, you have to pay extra for it. Carry on...lol

Sent from my 5049W using Forums mobile app

Military food... coming soon to a Windjammer near you: Chipped Beef on Toast, or as us Vets call it: Sh*t on a Shingle.

For the authentic old-time "sailing" experience, guests shall also be served salt tack and ship's biscuit -- weevils will be an extra upcharge (for the protein). For dessert, if you've been good, roly-poly and spotted dick* will be served.

--

* both of these are puddings. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

We’re on the Oasis now and decided for the balance of this cruise and all future RCI cruises to forgo the MDR. Even the Windjammer has more options, quicker (self) service and more flexibility in general.

We’ll probably do a combination of specialty and Windjammer. But, the MDR is out for the time being.

It’s a shame that such mediocre or just plain bad meals are served in such nice dining rooms.

There's also talk of slow service, how long does service in the MDR usually take? Whole dinner service? (We're first time RCI cruisers.)

There's also talk of slow service, how long does service in the MDR usually take? Whole dinner service? (We're first time RCI cruisers.)

MDR dinner consistently takes 90-120 minutes on any ship. It's for people who enjoy lingering over dinner on vacation. If you need to be out in an hour or less, visit the Windjammer.